Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Any Montana/Idaho/New Mexico/Utah Obners?
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 5:56 pm | Edited by: Record Shop Asshole

Saw the Denver thread and it reminded me I wanted to ask this. Any Goners live or lived in these areas? I'm looking to relocate and I'm considering these places (specifically: Albuquerque, Boise, Salt Lake City, and Missoula). I know they're not exactly "all fun all the time" like San Francisco or LA, but a lot of Californians are douches and it's way too expensive to live there. Portland and Seattle might fit the bill but I'm not mentally stable enough to be faced with 300 days of clouds a year.

Just looking for opinions. Will any of these places offer enough to keep me from being bored for a while? Any other suggestions? I basically just want to get away from the East Coast for a while.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 5:57 pm | Edited by: Record Shop Asshole

I'm an idiot. That thread title should say Goners. I must be on autopilot, as I typed "Obners," which is another message board I post to occasionally. You should be allowed to edit thread titles on here. Mod: fix?
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 6:00 pm

nope you have to live with it!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 6:02 pm

only move to boise if your basque or love them
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 7:06 pm

Move to Nebraska and make the Forbidden Tigers consider being an "actual" band.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 7:12 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

My vote goes to Missoula. But man, those are some wacky outposts you're considering.

I've never spent more than two days at a time in any one of those cities, but I've visited all except Boise at least twice. I think it's safe to say I'll be satisfied if I never visit Boise again.

I think you should say "fuck it all" and move to Coer d' Alene, or however you spell that shit. Idaho panhandle = beautiful. Boise = barren wasteland and farmland with town plopped on it.

Seattle and Portland have way more rain than Boise, SLC or Missoula, but far fewer days below freezing.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 7:15 pm

Any other suggestions?

Get a job in Canaduh. Move to Vancouver, BC
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 8:32 pm

i live about 45 mins south of salt lake. i do house shows all the time. it keeps me satisfied. there's a few good bars in salt lake and a few down around where i live. if you move to idaho and don't kill yourself, i'll make the drive up and do it for you. total wasteland.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm

total wasteland

is Boise really that bad? I talked to some hipster type who was saying "Portland East". (like that's a good thing)

have you thought about Spokane? Can hang with Mike Maker, pick up chicks with his Boss 302 Mustang
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 12:22 pm

i hate boise. i met some cool losers fromtwin falls not too long ago, they may be the saving grace of the whole state
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 3:31 pm | Edited by: clif

Missoula Rules! My favorite place I've ever lived. Cool record store. Good local bands. Cool local culture with independent bookstores, cafes, movie theater/ rental place, and restaurants. Everything is within biking distance. Cheap beer. Cheap coffee.

Downers are expensive gas and trustifarians. But, overall, a great place.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 4:57 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Part-Time Wyoming resident here, just outside Lander. My girlfriend has her job in So Cal and is here on work visa, otherwise I'd be there full time. The weather is perfect, the crime rate low, and the residents are friendly. Housing values have not decreased and employment is still high despite the recession. The only major downside is the distance to the SLC airport.

Hipster shits will get their ass handed to them for carrying on like uppity snots in most cowtowns, so they reside in over-priced places like Jackson Hole. Most people from outside the area are hardcore outdoor types (many of whom have surprisingly good taste in music/film) from larger Western cities and engineers from all over the US.

Forget Denver. I lived there for 15 years, and it has fallen victim to Californication.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 5:48 pm

it has fallen victim to Californication.

That's too bad.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 12:12 am

I think Wyoming would be a cool place to live too, I just think the isolation would be a bit much for me. With the biggest city being 50,000 or so people, I just have the feeling I'd get bored easily. Might be a nice place to live when I'm a bit older.

That's funny re: Trustafarians in Missoula. I talked to someone else about the city once and he said the exact same thing. It seems like a really cool place, but now that my pot-smoking years are behind me I don't know how well I'll fit in.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 9:11 am

i hate boise
just got back from Boise..nice weather, cool clouds in the sky, big ass rainbows, traffic like seattle in the late 7ts.

drove thru Hells Canyon, wow on a sunny spring afternoon!

did some small town thrift store shopping in Mt Home, just a mint country record by a guy named Van Dyke, and an all you can eat Mexi place near 84 where a troope of air forceers in fatigues celebrated one of their members departure. Good food, cold beer.

Got over to Oregon and things got real empty. My economy rental turned out to be a red Mustang so the new Neal Young disc about driven sounded good.
Posted: May 1, 2009 12:20 pm | Edited by: deadcityrebel

ok, but everything else blows. except the guy who let me crash on his couch once
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®