Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / At what record did you stop buying/listening to Black Flag?
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 3:21 am

Slip It In has a pretty good title track, but that record is the beginning of the end for me. I barely even listen to My War anymore, although I liked it. It's almost always either First Four Years or Damaged.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 6:40 am

My War
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 8:30 am

when henry thinks he's an interesting "thinker/poet" on family man

yuck
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 8:40 am

except for 'six pack' and the song "tv party", when ron reyes left!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 10:54 am

First Four Years and Everything Went Black are about all I listen to any more.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 11:25 am

My War was it for me. Kickass album. I hated it for several months after release, but a friend made a tape with No Remorse on one side and My War on the other and I learned to like it.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 11:39 am

I never bought any of it when it was actually released until the Slip It In cassette tape; everything I had was a dubbed copy on tape! I never bought another Black Flag item again until I got the early stuff on vinyl later on...

Damaged is still good.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 11:53 am

our band opened for them --- during their set Henry was singing in the crowd, wearing nothing but a pair of tight nylon gym shorts, surrounded by a crowd of panting 16 year old skinheads. it was creepy and turned me off them forever.

I admire Greg and the way he persevered, however. anybody seen his country band, Texas Corrugators? they came thru here recently but Greg Ginn playing country? whatever.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Lost interest in anything new after My War. Still listen to damaged and everything went black, first four years.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 1:27 pm

I admire Greg and the way he persevered
Depending on who you believe, his perseverance is greatly tied to how he cheated bands, bandmates, engineer/producers and even his own brother. He won't talk about it, so who knows what the true story is.

What is evident is, his current projects do not measure up.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 2:31 pm

Greg rules. He single-handedly created the Rock underground in America. None of those bands woulda gotten anywhere without SST. YOU try doing what he did on your own dime. It was like building the Pyramids.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Greg rules

His dive-bombing solos are damn near untouchable, but when Jam Band toured last summer, people didn't exactly flock to those shows.

None of those bands woulda gotten anywhere without SST.

I'm sure Sonic Youth would've done just fine if they'd been on any other label. Besides, plenty of bands were doing OK on Homestead.

he cheated bands

Heard in the early 90s (i.e. before Nevermimd hit) that he owed Sonic Youth $40,000. Dunno if he ever paid them, etc... Sonic Youth has got money, though. Thurston Moore was at a WFMU record fair one year & bought a Sun Ra record from the Used Kids booth for $500. The one Used Kids had was signed. Moore already had 2 copies of it, but neither were signed.

YOU try doing what he did on your own dime

Eric O did OK. There are probably more people on the Goner board than the SST board, plus, with Goner, there are absolutely no Run, Westy, Run sightings.

It was like building the Pyramids.

Not enough people died while building SST.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 2:50 pm

Nervous Breakdown
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 3:35 pm

Wasn't SY on Homestead before they were on SST?

Suppose that is sorta irrelevant, but they did get more attention from Evol than Bad Moon Rising.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 3:36 pm

YOU try doing what he did

I agree. Y'all have no idea what it was like then and what we had to do just to play/hear music the way we wanted to. I'm not just talking about getting spit on and called 'devo' too.

the SST bands still sound unique. I really don't want to listen to them much anymore, but this was the sound that finally erased 10 years of hippie blues jam shit.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 3:46 pm

but this was the sound that finally erased 10 years of hippie blues jam shit.
...and then ushered it back in
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 6:05 pm

I interviewed with CHUCK FUCKING DUKOWSKI to run New Alliance in like 1989! I knew the guy that was running it before that and he recommended me for some reason.

TOTALLY NOT WORTHY! And totally not capable, at that point. Wayyyvvves out of my league. Was working as a warehouse supervisor over a buncha rockabillies (Fobidden Pigs, whassup! RFTC John Reis, too) at the time.

But still a blast to fucking interview.

SST was tough. Pretty amazing what they put out.. not just Run Westy Run, but Lawndale, too!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 6:21 pm

their first lp was is it
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Hmm… Sort of hard to compare Goner with SST (since SST was putting out records when Eric was in Jr. High and High School) -- it’s easier to get stuff done when some of the doors have already been kicked open for you. I respect him for that, but… I know that most labels started to pay a different royalty rates when CD’s became popular and the cost was higher and Greg didn’t. He had some amazing bands and still does have that back catalogue, it's pretty well known that he has issues paying bands.

Plus, distributors going under in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s. You could end up with all your “product” gone with not money coming. Many labels couldn’t survive that.

Homestead was a much better bet. I purchased pretty much all of those records in high school , but never felt the need to buy a Tom Troccoli's Dog LP. There had been other labels at that time, many that are still putting out records.

Some folks might even argue that it wasn’t punk (at that time) to put out records and only "real" punks put out tapes in the back of MRR. Heck, I know folks that are still pissed about Husker Du signing to a major and that was a long, long time ago.

I guess all I was saying is that he wasn't the only person putting out records at that time...
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 7:04 pm

Last Flag record I bought was 'My War'.

I heard the others at friends house and did not dig them.. still don't
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 7:19 pm

SST definitely wasn't the only game in town, but there was some reason SY and Dinosaur hopped off the Homestead train. Anyone have knowledge on this?
But yeah, finally seeing Henry Rollins nylon shorts/sweat/long greasy hair/intensity schtick up close in person around 1985 was enough to file away Black Flag for a long, long time.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 7:23 pm

finally seeing Henry Rollins nylon shorts/sweat/long greasy hair/intensity schtick up close in person around 1985 was enough to file away Black Flag for a long, long time.

seeing that kid interview him made him my hero.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 8:10 pm

But yeah, finally seeing Henry Rollins nylon shorts/sweat/long greasy hair/intensity schtick up close in person around 1985 was enough to file away Black Flag for a long, long time.

Very true. It was way too intense and it just felt like he was going to kick some skinny kids ass for no reason. I still love Damage, but I don't need to own anything else after that.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 8:11 pm

He single-handedly created the Rock underground in America.
This is true. Touring in the 80's was like being Lewis and Clark.

finally seeing Henry Rollins nylon shorts/sweat/long greasy hair/intensity schtick up close in person around 1985
I was at the Antenna show.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 8:50 am

Homestead was not a better label than SST. SSt put out several classic all time great albums like Damaged, My War, Meat Puppets 2, Double Nickles on The Dime, Zen Arcade, and many more. They defined the US sound of the 80's underground. And they did it first. What the hell did Homestead ever do? Put out a Dinosaur Jr. and SY record. Big deal. (Plus Homestead had issues paying bands too. Why do you think they all fled to SST? Every label that actually sells records has issues paying bands. It's not as easy as it looks.)

Rollins once sang one of them early Rollins Band songs right in my face as I stood around watching his soundcheck at CB's once. I was like, this guy is a real jerk for trying to freak me out. That was the turning point for me.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 9:16 am | Edited by: eric o

FAMILY MAN!
WITH YOUR... FAMILY PLAN!

i love this.

i think the rest of you got weeded out!
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 9:17 am

although i often wonder which direction the weeding went.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 10:01 am

I was like, this guy is a real jerk for trying to freak me out.

crowbar, get on this!
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 10:09 am

finally seeing Henry Rollins nylon shorts/sweat/long greasy hair/intensity schtick up close in person around 1985
I was at the Antenna show.

Then you know PRECISELY what I mean. When you can make a 17 year old girl laugh at you with derision when you are male, punk rock, in your 20's and shirtless, there is something WRONG WITH YOU.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 10:43 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

laugh at you with derision

hehehe. The part that made me laugh the most was his pre-show warm-up routine of reading books of (I'm guessing his own) poetry and banging his head against the wall.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 10:51 am

ever notice the weird smell of the unusally glossy jackets?
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 11:29 am

I met Greg once when I was playing bass for this Punk Rock band in the 80's at some dive bar on the LES called Downtown Beirut II. It was the least likely place in the world for him to be. He was just sitting at the bar so we went up to him and he said somebody had told him he should see us. He seemed pretty out of it but was as nice as could be.

And I met Keith Morris one time and he was a nice dude too.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 11:54 am

keith morris is the most famous person to actively dislike me
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm

story please. you cant just drop shit like that with no explanation.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 12:34 pm

i found a bunch of stickers at some punk shop that were made from Keith's high school yearbook photo with a tux & bow tie - i bought a bunch and gave them to friends of keith - i wind up meeting keith a couple days later and it is pointed out that i am the source of the stickers - he was not amused.
next meeting involves me and a 5th of bushies backstage at a Circle Jerks show - keith again not amused (but to one-up riggler name dropping i had a great time drinking with Stigma - who is the genuinely nicest rock start ever) - and then on another CJ tour it seems i had a hand in helping someone fall off the wagon who was supposed to be going to a meeting but was smoking up/drinking with me (i feel bad about this one, woulda happened anyway though)
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 1:10 pm

Crucial, if it wasn't you, woulda been somebody else, both with the sticker distro and the assisting off the wagon!

Cheers!

(To make it full circle jerk, seen the Rollins yearbook photo?)
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 1:13 pm

and i thought i was the only one that people got mad at.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 2:55 pm

Apparantly Keith Morris is a good judge of character.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 5:09 pm

Family Man. Armageddon Man should have been a single.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 10:50 pm

zoogs rift!
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 11:11 pm

Friend of mine saw Keith Morris from a second story window during SXSW. Shouted "Keith Morris!" Keith looked around, then locked eyes with homeboy. "YOU SUCK!" Keith looked taken aback and walked off. Gotta be hard to be an old man with ridiculous dreadlocks who isn't George Clinton.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 11:51 pm

i used to work with keith at a diner. he's alright.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 11:54 pm

yeah, he seems like a cool enough dude. Still though, no excuse.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 9:23 am

what about Merle Allin?
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 11:14 am | Edited by: Tango Fistula

Slip it in...
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 11:27 am

Nervous Breakdown 7" + Group Sex LP = greatness. Your friend is a jerk.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 2:08 pm | Edited by: saispas

Nervous Breakdown 7" + Group Sex LP = greatness.

Yep. Was about to say at some point in this that his version of "Nervous Breakdown" slayed.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 10:56 pm

admire Greg and the way he persevered
Depending on who you believe, his perseverance is greatly tied to how he cheated bands, bandmates, engineer/producers and even his own brother. He won't talk about it, so who knows what the true story is.

I see him as someone who convinced(or they held the same idea of all of us or none) other people to basically live communial and communist under the banner of equal wealth when the ship comes in. meanwhile those to hard to control are weeded out,those who get hip to the game leave eventually.
I wonder if the reason the dicks masters are missing is if in a hissy fit he destroyed them.
I wished Spot would sue his ass already so hed stop complaining of being broke(he has fire partys now and then where he burns a bunch of old crap most ebayers would die for...Pic of chuck playing a flying v bass recording nervous break down,jumping 3 feet in the air..while recording...)
Posted: May 1, 2009 1:52 am

Started at First Four Years and ended at Everything Went Black; hearing the song "Damaged" left such a bad taste in my ear that I doubt I'll ever buy the album. Hank's an extremely funny guy and all of that and I might even enjoy one of his books, but I really do not appreciate his singing and don't want to hear any more of it; I heard the Rollins Band too and fuck them very much, especially for covering "Do It."
Posted: May 1, 2009 1:54 am | Edited by: a cobb

what about Merle Allin?

Got a guy named Duke Porter whose cars are regulars at Flamingo. He's got the EXACT facial hair as G.G. Someday I'll make fun of him (edit: to his face) for it, but he's a nice enough dude.

As far as Black Flag goes, I probably wouldn't want to sit around re-writing Nervous Breakdown for more than 1-3 years, tops. I dunno if I'd have gone into sludge metal but I've written way worse songs than "Drink Drive Kill" or whatever.

ida slapter, take us home!

it’s easier to get stuff done when some of the doors have already been kicked open for you.

Amen to that.
Posted: May 1, 2009 9:04 am

hearing the song "Damaged" left such a bad taste in my ear that I doubt I'll ever buy the album.

Your ears have awful taste, then.
Posted: May 1, 2009 11:24 pm

I was 18 when In My Head came out, so ALL the records sounded good to me at that point. I don't listen to them as much now (same as with any other band I've listened to way too much), but I'm still down with the early stuff and won't skip over even the later stuff if it comes up during random play on my mp3 player.

I suppose the underground network of clubs and labels would have eventually happened without Greg Ginn and SST, but since he was the one who pioneered the whole thing, you have to give him credit. Sure SST put out some real turds, but they put out a ton of amazing stuff too - I'm sure their ratio of hits to shits is as good as any other legendary label you'd wanna name.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®