Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Any DENVER Goners??
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 9:06 am

I've been toying with the idea of moving out there. I'm getting bored of Midwestern terrain, and want to live among mountains. But, I also like city life and all the things that come with it. Is there cool shit goin' on there? Doesn't seem like there would be many touring bands coming through, but maybe there'd be at least a handful of cool shows?
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 10:12 am

I wasn't a Goner when I lived in Denver, but I loved living there and will always recommend it. Plenty of bars, culture if you want it, seemed to be tons of good paying jobs (but I don't know about now). My biggest is advice is live near your work or you'll have one helluva commute, despite the awesome public transportation.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 10:22 am

My biggest is advice is live near your work or you'll have one helluva commute, despite the awesome public transportation.

Why? Is traffic bad? Hypothetically, I would probably end up working in a suburb and living in the city. This would be a problem?

How long ago did you live there?
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 11:08 am | Edited by: Windy

I lived there 2000 2001, so my info is old, but if I had to guess, things are probably worse now (commutes/prices)

I lived in the city of Denver, near Wash Park/DU area and worked downtown for a time and in the tech center for a time. probably about 10 miles from each place and the commute was over an hour as I recall. I rented a room in a basement apartment for $300-$350 a month no stove, falling down tile in bathroom, but in a pretty nice nieghborhood.

If you work in the city your best bet is to take advantage of the light rail or buses as parking (at that time) was up near $20 a day unless you either parked in outlying areas or got to work long before typical 8-9 to
5 ers.

I worked for a place that offered several options for flex schedules as well as reimbursement for public transport.The other big plus would be if your jop offered free parking. Also, housing can be expensive depending where you're coming from and what you are looking for.

Despite all that, I'd be up for living there again. More sunshine per year than many other places! Awesome views and tons of options for outdoor activities.

anyway, I could go on....
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 11:20 am

Cool, thanks for the info!
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 11:43 am

NP
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 4:22 pm

wax trax is a pretty good record store there. the hare krishna temple has free food on like tuesday and thursday i think.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 5:51 pm

Yeah, I've been to Wax Trax before, and it was pretty cool. Aren't there other record stores right next to it and across the street from it as well?

By the way, what are the "cool" neighborhoods?
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 7:56 pm

i don't remember.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 9:05 pm

The Nuggets are going to be goners after I SLIT THEIR FUCKING THROATS!!!! Starting with their horrible, John Lithgow-esque coach and that spikey haired tattooed white cunt. GRRRRRRR!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 1:41 am

I just left...lived there for 6 years, I personally hated it...it's kind of too "nice", totally vanilla. I saw a handful of good shows there...in 6 YEARS, mind you...but would usually go months at a time without a good reason to go out at all. I'm from San Francisco, so depending on what level of action you're used to, it might be more happening than someplace else. The cool neighborhoods, in my opinion are: The Highlands (NOT to be confused with Highlands Ranch), Sunnyside and "Lower Highlands", Baker district, Wash Park, and parts of Capital Hill are OK too. Wax Trax is the ONLY record store worth a shit. Anyhow, I moved to Portland and it has EVERYTHING Denver lacked for me...except, so far...A GODDAMN JOB...ack!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 3:50 am

colorado is gorgeous. why don't bands play there? the drives to and from too long?
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 10:34 am

Yes, no other major cities closer than a 7 hour's drive away...and it's between Southern and Northern routes across the central US that are dotted with places to play, so Denver is usually skipped. Also no one there booking shows knows or gives a shit about small touring bands...local bands bring more bodies into the bar...so, if you don't have a label and booking agent to convince them you will draw, it's tough to get booked. Cluelessness and apathy...
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 11:49 am

my friend who goes there for work all the time claims it's the worst city in the USA, has never found anything interesting to do there, not even a decent bar.
beautiful setting, yes, but has more to do with the prairie than the mtns.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 7:26 pm

I've been toying with the idea of moving out there. I'm getting bored of Midwestern terrain, and want to live among mountains. But, I also like city life and all the things that come with it. Is there cool shit goin' on there? Doesn't seem like there would be many touring bands coming through, but maybe there'd be at least a handful of cool shows?

I've lived in Denver since 2005, and am originally from the midwest. I like outdoor recreation, so the mountains are the primary draw. But I also appreciate all the cultural stuff a big city offers. Denver seems to offer a nice balance. Musically, gigbot.com lists all the bands schedule to play here, and gives a good sense of what's going on. Surely the long distances between other cities reduce the number of smaller bands passing through, but there's enough to keep me interested. I think Vivian Girls are playing here this Sunday. I've really gotten accustomed to all the sunshine too.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®