Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Favorite Black Flag release
TheOperator
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 11:42 am

I've got a hard-on for Everything Went Black because it was my first Black Flag release I ever owned and it's filled pure gold in every song. I can listen to it the whole way though every time and I still feel every damn time I put it on how fucking great it is. There used to be a bunch of Mexicans that lived near me and they were really into Black Flag and I'd always see one of the guys in a Black Flag shirt. That's what promted me to buy a Black Flag album. I got 'Everything Went Black' for $7 used because it was the only Black Flag album the record store had. The cover art is really fucking great as well. My favote song's gotta be #12: Police Story! "Fuckin' city... run by pigs.... they're takin' the rights away from all you kids... understand it that we're fighting a war we can't win... they hate us and we hate them... we can't win, no way!" Ha ha. Greatness!
Wang Chung
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 3:26 pm

haha, Operator, once again you prove to be very smart USA man! Fucking pigs, yes, USA cop no good for nothing! I love The Black Flags so much, is one of favorite 1980's US band.....taking right away....from ALL US KIDS! Is crazings!
SAMBEAUX
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 7:12 pm

easily...
Steve Beat
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 9:20 pm

Wang Chung will never stop being funny. I vote Jealous Again 12".
Happily Ignorant
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 9:37 pm

Stick it In!
Happily Ignorant
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 9:38 pm

Stick it In!
Happily Ignorant
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 9:38 pm

duh...SLIP it in!
tim
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 9:39 pm

that's "SLIP it in"
Happily Ignorant
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 9:44 pm

duh...SLIP it in!
dino
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 9:59 pm

six pack, or damaged
eric o
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 10:15 pm

THE PROCESS OF WEEDING OUT

... weeded me out.

Dan_Gerous
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 10:25 pm

b side of My War... the birth of doom
socialendproduct
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 11:01 pm

everything w/ keith morris. favorite song: i've had it.
socialendproduct
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 11:05 pm

and MY WAR blew me away when i first heard it. it was on some bones brigade video, and i think it was the first punk stuff i heard.
jenna
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 11:10 pm

damaged. 1984.
Robby G
Posted: Oct 28, 2004 11:39 pm

Definitely the one with that cover and the second song on I think the B-side with that like solo and the what's it called, verse that goes like 3 lines and then the fourth is different... That album just rocks dude.
SinglesGoingSteady
Posted: Oct 29, 2004 12:11 am

"Damaged" is ok when your 13, but holy shit is that overrated. Plus it just seems retarded once you hear the Keith-era stuff.

"Family Man" is the worst, tho....is that the one that is half instro/half spoken word? Whichever record that is, it's awful.

All the cover art on this shit is good, tho, gotta love Raymond Pettibone.

huggiebear
Posted: Oct 29, 2004 1:15 am

I am now convinced that the Operator is one of you guys playing games. It just doesn't seem real. If it is, I guess I'd have to go with "My War". Best cover too.
Mandible
Posted: Oct 29, 2004 1:23 am

The alternate version of My War with Dez and Greg playing guitar. Not an official release, I guess.
satanic war chicken
Posted: Oct 29, 2004 3:54 am

dez cadena is my favorite singer.he seems really manic on everything he sings on.i like that.my war is my favorite album.
operator,wait till you get a hold of some dead kennedys,or exploited,or circle jerks.
those bands are tough.
now run along little buddy.the street lights are almost on.
schmatt
Posted: Oct 29, 2004 7:05 am

"wasted" esta mas que buena cancion de Keith Morris. Viven Los Circle Jerks y Black Flag.
Greg Lowery
Posted: Oct 29, 2004 7:09 am

Hmmmm Black Flag........saw em' as a kid numerous times.....now that is a "tough" band.....big, muscle bound guys, the kinda guys that could beat you up easily...shirts off, sweating for the crowd.....Jesus....probably my favorite hardcore band of all time.....wow, I'm getting the vapors, gotta lay down....Rise Above.....Greg.
honkey kong
Posted: Oct 29, 2004 7:16 am

probably wasted again, but really, anything with keith or dez. the rest of it is a turd, i never wanted to be a hardcore nurd.
SinglesGoingSteady
Posted: Oct 29, 2004 8:19 am

Ehh, "Wasted....Again", "Everything Went Black", and "First Four Years" are all fair game, "Black" has all the good Keith shit but is missing "Fix Me" and "Nervous Breakdown", so it's a tough call....
memphislivin
Posted: Oct 29, 2004 8:28 am

Nervous Breakdown

Great song. Makes me feel 16 again.

Steve Beat
Posted: Oct 29, 2004 4:21 pm

Dan_Gerous,

The B-side of My War is one of the sweetest things ever. And indeed while not the birth of doom, it's pretty fucking rough.

Dan_Gerous
Posted: Oct 29, 2004 6:11 pm

well, the reason i said that is because Buzz from The Melvins (who are arguably the pioneers of the whole "doom" thing) said the B side of My War was more influential than Black Sabbath... but whatever.
idiot
Posted: Oct 29, 2004 9:16 pm

Oh, come on Operator, you know that Everything went Black is the only Black Flag album you own. What's more, you know all this just happened last week, right? That's why you are so gung ho about shit that everybody else listened to about 15-20 years ago.
satanic war chicken
Posted: Oct 29, 2004 11:11 pm

i think the operator is just a kid.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 10:50 pm | Edited by: someone famous

Saw some chick on MTV in a trailer for this new movie called Stick It from the director of the classic Bring It On and one of the girl's is wearing an altered Black Flag bars shirt. They altered it so that it just says Black on top and then all the bars are connected to signify a flag. Stupid.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 11:16 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

That album with the misanthropic Raymond Pettibon drawing.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 11:35 pm

first four years, cmon people.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 11:45 pm

JEALOUS AGAIN e.p.

CHAVO!!!
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 2:44 am

The original commercial cassette version of The First Four Years (black and white cover--anyone remember it?) changed my life--particularly "Machine". I specifically remember sitting in my room listening to that song and being absolutely stunned that someone had written this insane thing that had no verses and choruses, just a bass line and a guy yelling til it took off in a sprint and exploded. Hell, I could probably narrow it down to THAT SONG changing my life i.e. the moment that I realized that a song could be absolutely anything you wanted it to be. Everything Went Black was the shortly-thereafter the first punk album I ever bought.

-Ryan
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:43 am

JEALOUS AGAIN e.p.

CHAVO!!!

Exactly.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:44 am

Penis goes in vagina?
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:11 pm

Damaged. TV Party was my favorite song when I was like, 8.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:57 pm

I like the punk one.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 4:17 am

the flag rules. from beginning to end. black coffee/drinking black coffee.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 4:43 pm

SLIP IT IN--Rollins and all, I still think that album tears it up. I got it on cassette down visiting my granny in Ormond Beach, Florida. I would crank it on the ol' walkman on the ride back home and pretend not to notice my Dad's concerned looks.

Next purchase was The Process Of Weeding Out. I concur with Mr. eric o on that one...ugh. Thankfully, a friend would soonly thereafter give me a copy of the First Four Years.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 6:30 pm

everything went black

the flag rules. from beginning to end.
black flag and the germs rule over everything that is punk with an iron fist

stooges and MC5 are the ministers of rock

emogirl21 video blogs with a cotton fist
i'm freakin pissed!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®