Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / kid congo and the pink monkey birds
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 10:19 pm

just got that lp today. i keep trying to let it be background noise, but whoever is playing bass and drums are too good. so catchy. not conducive for doing homework.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 10:22 pm

you know what i love about this lp? they mic'ed the kick drum really close and you can hear the squeaking of the kick drum pedal on alot of the songs. i have a section in my racks of records where you can hear the kick drum pedal squeak, so this album is going in there.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 10:22 pm

^ unofficial review.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 10:24 pm

yeah, i noticed that within like 4 seconds. and it officially does not bother me. recording engineers take note: shit like that needs to be on records.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 10:27 pm

just wait for the manhunter album, squeks and squarks all over it
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 10:27 pm

my wife hates squeaky bass drum pedals, she always notices that shit
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 11:06 pm | Edited by: Janderass

Had this in my hands the other day but put it down before checkout. Really worthwhile? Saw them play a few years back and I'm a Kid fan, of course, but never felt like I needed to own the recent stuff. Gimme some comparisons.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 11:34 pm

kid congo powers = awesome
he's the sum of all his musical parts from gun club to cramps to bad seeds etc. he's like the secret ingredient of a certain kind of dark crazy music.

not having a kid congo recording would be like eliminating salt from the world
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 12:07 am

Gimme some comparisons.

dub narcotic sound system
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 12:30 am

whoever is playing bass

his name is kiki, and he's fucking awesome.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 12:46 am

really though, they stand out in the best way.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 1:16 am

Had this in my hands the other day but put it down before checkout. Really worthwhile? Saw them play a few years back and I'm a Kid fan, of course, but never felt like I needed to own the recent stuff. Gimme some comparisons.

I liked the show I saw a couple-few years back, but in no way did I think it'd be a riveting record. Kid rules, though!
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 8:26 am

great album!
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 8:33 am

what about the picture of that studio where they recorded it on the inner sleeve? dang.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 9:10 am

I hugged Kid Congo! It still makes me blush!
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 9:19 am

i hugged gwen stefani once.

BOING!
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 10:07 am

I hugged Kid Congo! It still makes me blush!

that was the cutest.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 11:06 am

what about the picture of that studio where they recorded it on the inner sleeve? dang.

High school gym---pretty cool!

The lineup from the album is playing a festival in Chicago in June. Looking forward to it.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 11:07 am

The lineup from the album is playing a festival in Chicago in June. Looking forward to it.

which one, i seem to remember reading that. something at the bottle maybe?
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 11:13 am

The Metronome Celebration.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 11:18 am

oh fuck, that's like at the end of my street! no wonder it sounded familiar.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 11:54 am

someone told me the "punk stage" is allegedly going to be in the parking lot across the street. i'll be able to watch the effigies from my place. not bad.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Just bought the LP today. Haven't listened to it yet, but I enjoyed the Philosophy of Underwear and thought he was great when he snuck through town time last time.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 7:09 pm

pre-listen bong rips, man.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 7:13 pm

pre-listen bong rips, man.

I don't understand this lingo.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 9:06 pm | Edited by: Janderass

OK, sold. I was already gonna go and get some weed for the new Oh Sees that's on the way, so why not . . .
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 9:26 pm

Just listened to it. One of the best records of the year, so far. As you might expect from the vampire themed cover, the vibe is a bit spooky at times -starting with the squeaky bass pedal and working its way up.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 9:52 pm

The lineup from the album is playing a festival in Chicago in June

not sure if its the album line up again, but kid congo is playing chicago again in early july.
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 1:56 am

the vibe is a bit spooky at times
but not campy.
Posted: May 1, 2009 7:40 pm | Edited by: Janderass

Listening now. I get the DNSS reference, good thing its a lot freakier though since I got bored and sold all my Dub Narcotic stuff a couple years ago.
Posted: May 1, 2009 7:47 pm

i still have the 1st dub narc cassette. it's their best release, and this lp reminds me of that. not the later watered down shit.
Posted: May 1, 2009 7:50 pm

Gimme some comparisons.

dub narcotic sound system

There's some Davie Allan & the Arrows in there as well.
Posted: May 1, 2009 7:52 pm

you're a arrows.
Posted: May 1, 2009 8:35 pm

There's some Davie Allan & the Arrows in there as well.
That seems random, now I have to go put it back on. Which song?
Posted: May 1, 2009 8:40 pm

i didn't catch it. i mean there's fuzz, but... what do i know?

this one song reminds me of thee midnighters.
Posted: May 1, 2009 8:45 pm

Well its back on now anyway. I need some Davie Allan.
Posted: May 1, 2009 8:53 pm

play "mind transferral" backwards! i mean... forwards!
Posted: May 2, 2009 2:13 am | Edited by: deadcityrebel

weren't the arrows on some biker movie soundtrack?
Posted: May 2, 2009 8:43 am

Wild Angels. Essential viewing dude! It's gonna be on the test!
Posted: May 2, 2009 10:12 am

The Arrows were on quite a few biker soundtracks ; Wild Angels (vol.1 & 2), Hells Angels On Wheels, Devils Angels, & prolly more I can't thin of this early in the morning... Get that anthology on Sundazed - it's a great introduction...
Posted: May 2, 2009 3:23 pm

Oddly enough, we played a show with Davie Allan and the Knoxville Girls around 10 years ago. Knoxville Girls were great! Kid was especially cool, a super nice guy. Davie Allen was using all digital pedals and some amp with like a digital preamp kinda thing which was sort of a let down. I was expecting a cool rig with some classic fuzz pedals, and tone!! oh well.
Posted: May 2, 2009 5:03 pm

I really like those Knoxville Girls LPs...for some weird reason, never thought about/realized Kid was involved.
Posted: May 3, 2009 9:34 am

The Arrows were on quite a few biker soundtracks ; Wild Angels (vol.1 & 2), Hells Angels On Wheels, Devils Angels, & prolly more I can't thin of this early in the morning... Get that anthology on Sundazed - it's a great introduction...

glory stompers, thunder alley... loads.

his albums "blues theme and "cycle-delic sounds" are EFUCKINGSSENTIAL.
Posted: May 4, 2009 12:41 am

I like Kid Congo but his vocal range is so limited that it gets annoying
Posted: May 4, 2009 12:55 am

unlike jeffrey...?
Posted: May 4, 2009 11:27 am

I like Kid Congo but his vocal range is so limited that it gets annoying
That might be why the new album is largely instrumental.
Posted: May 4, 2009 10:09 pm

Jeffrey's range was great. Kid Congo only sang one note when I saw them live. "Sex Beat" was kind of miserable.
Posted: May 14, 2009 10:33 pm

I've just been informed that my DJ services will be need for the Kid Congo show which I've just been told is headed this way! Stoked!!!

I'm bringin' some WD-40 for that bass pedal though, I can't take it!
Posted: May 15, 2009 1:14 pm

i have a section in my racks of records where you can hear the kick drum pedal squeak

My Little Bob & the Lollipops' I Got Loaded LP has that same squeak all the way through the record. I figured that must be what it was.
Posted: May 16, 2009 12:13 am

The best impulse buy I've made in ages- I knew of KC from The Gun Club and he was a Flesh Eater for a minute too right?- at least of a new/ current album. I can't help thinking that a lot of this sounds like Dusty Groove material, as in a compilation of funky shit from various Latin countries; meant as a compliment, not a slight. Whoever was going on about ITR and the LCD garage crowd could surely not have been referring to this record; I don't know what to call this musically and am not really that concerned either. "I Found A Peanut" has been stuck in my head for days now!!
Posted: May 18, 2009 2:21 pm

this one song reminds me of thee midnighters

Must be I Found A Peanut, which is on that Norton comp.

KC does a pretty good cover, but you really need to hear the original if you haven't already...
Posted: May 18, 2009 3:05 pm

Enjoyed this interview with Kid from a couple of years back. Some nice insight into his time in the Gun Club, Cramps, Bad Seeds, etc. Some choice photos too.
http://www.modernpeapod.com/v2-3/kidcongo.html
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 4:16 pm

The Metronome Celebration.

Hey Chicago, this is tomorrow. 4:00PM @ the Blue Line Western stop.

Also, in-store at Permanent at 3:00 Sunday.
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 4:51 pm

i have a section in my racks of records where you can hear the kick drum pedal squeak, so this album is going in there.

that is awesome that you have a section of your records dedicated to this!
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 6:00 pm

uh, yeah.
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 4:03 am

Kid Congo told me that his 1st vinyl appearance was on Psychedelic Jungle. Not a bad way to start a life in rock 'n' roll.

He toured last summer or mebbe the summer before & played something like 7 shows in Ohio (Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Akron, Toledo, Dayton, & mebbe Athens). A friend said the he & his wife were 2 of the 3 people in Toledo. Too bad. He deserves a lot better. Danny Hole was playing with him on that tour, too.
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 4:06 pm

A friend said the he & his wife were 2 of the 3 people in Toledo. Too bad. He deserves a lot better. Danny Hole was playing with him on that tour, too.

Similar situation here, although I'd put the crowd at about 20 folks.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®