Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / wish me luck!
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 11:58 am | Edited by: bazooka joe

bringing the magnetix to my tiny little town of 4,000 people this weekend. never even been a punk show in the town itself, but we're close to york and harrisburg (and baltimore) so it's not like it's some rural middle of nowhere midwestern place. been promoting like crazy. i give flyers to everybody i see anywhere i go that looks like they might be down for a goo time or into loud music. lots of people at the grocey store to hand flyers to. haha. hope to turn on all the little skateboard kids around here. been adding people like crazy on myspace from the area that more or less fit the description too. sending out all the show info like crazy. one dude even has a punk show at the york college station, read the message i sent him, didn't reply AND denied our friend request. what the fuck? i don't understand people around here at all. i get alot of indifference from people that you would think would be down. hope this show is berzerk on sunday.

party!
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 12:39 pm

High five!

...and good luck!!
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 12:43 pm

down for a goo time

like scott rogers.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 12:57 pm

FUCK YOO!
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 1:06 pm

who's gonna let the frenchies borrow their amp?
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 1:15 pm

great live band but ear-bleedlingly LOUD!!!
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 1:17 pm

good luck! don't burn them hot dogs on the grill you weiner!
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 1:18 pm

sounds fun...good luck!
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 1:18 pm

this dude that that i met on myspace that lives a mile away who's into the devil dogs has a bass amp and guitar amp cuz looch plays through both simultaneously. he's letting us use his drums, too. the hipster dude that owns the burrito shop up the street alrady loaned me two mics/ cables/ stands and i'm getting the pa from a girl who's in a lesbian hipster rock band. my town rules!
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 1:21 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

and luke, i'm really gonna hafta watch the sound cuz it's in a really echoey and small room at the american legion hall. i want it loud, but i also want people to stay.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 1:29 pm

i was deaf for three days after one of their shows!
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 6:14 pm

good luck. and start trying to find out if all those folks are on facebook. sucks to say it, but most people don't pay attention to anything if it isn't on facebook.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 6:20 pm

most people don't pay attention to anything if it isn't on facebook.

I seriously hope you and your sweatpants are kidding.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 6:20 pm

the people around here are too dumb for facebook. they're all myspace trash.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 8:05 pm | Edited by: dutch hercules

4000 people..where you live BJ..?
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 8:19 pm

good luck.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 8:45 pm

I seriously hope you and your sweatpants are kidding.
not kidding. i can go post flyers all day and night and no one will show up, but if i invite people on facebook then people come out of the woodwork
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 9:02 pm

They are gonna drag you out of town behind a horse & buggy!

There's a guy from York named THE GORCH who you gotta invite.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 9:15 pm

dude, hook me up with the gorch!

dutch: DALLASTOWN. christine grew up here. she used to get her ass beat for being a punk in the mid 80s.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 9:19 pm

now you're getting your ass beat for being her punk?
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 9:23 pm

I'm gonna bring a camera.. unless I forget..

I totally expect to see a bunch of toothless old men getting their minds blown!
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 9:26 pm

now you're getting your ass beat for being her punk?

total.

I'm gonna bring a camera.. unless I forget..

I totally expect to see a bunch of toothless old men getting their minds blown!

i think it's gonna mostly be emo kids. we'll give 'em something to cry about!

wewhowait, drop me an email. it's in my profile.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 10:12 pm

i think it's gonna mostly be emo kids.
they're pretty slow to convert. make sure everything is real fashionable, it'll speed up the process.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 10:15 pm

i'll be wearing my black lips pith helmet with the blood on it.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 10:26 pm

then they will keep coming back. the kids love black lips nowadays
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 9:22 am

as of five minutes ago i'm officailly going crazy with pre-show anxiety/ excitement. OOF! i haven't done a show since october '07 in new york. gonna start packing my sunday spinnables in a minute. im feeling music to spazz by's pre-stomp excitement right now too, and it aint helping me, but it sho do sound good!
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 1:26 pm

if i wasn't so burned out with school i'd be pretty stoked on the 2 shows here next week.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 1:31 pm

quit boring-ing up my thread.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 1:48 pm

good luck! remember, it's not how much you flyer, it's all about the entrance:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1p7ue_ramones-i-just-wanna-have-some thing_music

i trust you have a convertible and some chicken vindaloo for the occasion?
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 2:25 pm

fuckin a. gotta borrow a cool car from someone. can't pull up in my fuckin' vulva and shit. we'll be eating burritos!
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 2:45 pm

come on, at least get pizza! like 6 pizzas!
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 9:01 am

black lips pith helmet

you're a pith.
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Did you fail miserably?
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 6:47 pm

it's tomorrow. i'll let you know.

just went to the store to pick up some tortillas cuz i'm making two giant pans of chicken enchiladas for the magnetix. there were these kids hanging out in front of the store with 6 KILLER original 80s bmx bikes. gt, mongoose, some crazy unknown bike with a custom red, white, and blue stars and stripes paint job, ame and mushroom grips, mags... the whole nine. i was talking to 'em about the bikes and then asked if they knew about the show tomorrow. they said they did, so that's a good sign.

also, should i be drinking this bottle of jim beam before the big day?
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 8:15 pm

yes.
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 10:14 pm

almost gone. ugh.

party!
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 10:25 pm

also, should i be drinking this bottle of jim beam before the big day?

if you have to ask then you need to change your tampon.
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 10:36 pm

Good luck BJ. I hoped to set up some shows where we live but the crusty punks have a hold on this town that can't be broken. Granted, I didn't try much, but only because I knew there was no point. The only good shows I see are in Memphis or Chicago.
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 12:18 am

i wish magnetix were coming to my shitty midwestern town. for serious, that would make for an intense house show!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 12:55 am

Good luck BJ. I hoped to set up some shows where we live but the crusty punks have a hold on this town that can't be broken. Granted, I didn't try much, but only because I knew there was no point. The only good shows I see are in Memphis or Chicago.

get a vision.
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 1:16 am

get a vision.
i kinda gotta agree. somehow i've been able to make one of the most boring cities on the earth livable just by constantly harassing bands to play and people to show up. its totally possible
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 12:37 pm

blacked out, woke up to find out that i almost broke one of my 1200s, knocked a bunch of records on the floor, i had flipped out on christine in my sleep talking all kinds of horrible shit, got a giant cut on my knee from falling... this is bad. didn't stop me from making three pans of enchiladas though woohoo!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 12:41 pm

get a vision.

I work too much to play promoter in a lost-cause town. I like having an excuse to get out of town anyway.
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm

Wearing my Enjoy Cockhomos T-shirt at the store. It's a million degrees out. You think you got problems!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 1:53 pm

i'ts a million and one here! FUCK!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 1:59 pm

No AC at the store. Need to be home drinking Stella's. Leaving at 5pm with my Oh Sees and Wooden Shjips lp's (and probably the Charlie Patton one too).
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 11:16 am

I assume you're not awake yet, BUT…

How'd it go last nite Joe?
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 1:09 pm

Fun!

Maybe 30 people there?

Magnetix were RAD.. I'll post some pics later.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 5:43 pm

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 6:08 pm

wow, thanks wewhowait! and thanks for coming. show was CRIMINALLY underattended. after all the promotion i did (not to mention money shelled out) to get the kids' minds blown, their apathetic and square selves couldn't muster the energy to walk down the street and flip.

eric, i finally understand "if the kids don't hate it, it ain't rock'n'roll." i take back when i questioned that slogan a few years back. fuck the kids.

anyway, it was a totally killer set. they ripped it big. massive shredage. came home after (oh yeah- show was OVER at 8PM- was that too late for a bunch of weird looking 16 year olds???) and ate enchiladas, drank beers... good times. magnetix are still at my place (i'm at work right now) and looch is making some kinda tuna in a bechemel sauce which apparently he is the king of making (i believe him) and aggy is making some kind of vegetable pie. can't wait to get home for leftovers!
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 6:58 pm

If the Magnetix played a killer set to 30 people, you can feel pretty confident that at least one person---hopefully a kid---left with a much better idea of rock'n'roll. The War is fought one mind at a time!
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 7:11 pm

there was only one young kid there! that's the problem i have. they would have loved it if they bothered showing up, but the fact that the show was down the street from them, only $5 and in the middle of the day and they all stayed home is pathetic.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 8:02 pm | Edited by: deadcityrebel

The War is fought one mind at a time
he/she's right. keep doing these shows and slowly more kids will show up.
you just might have to start a band and play with some of the shitty bands and then book cool bands, then you and the cool bands will blow the shitty bands out of the water.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 8:21 pm

he/she's right. keep doing these shows and slowly more kids will show up.
you just might have to start a band and play with some of the shitty bands and then book cool bands, then you and the cool bands will blow the shitty bands out of the water.

no way in hell on everythng you said. 1st of all it was $190 just fo the room rental. not to mention we rented a pa and bought 60 hotdogs (sold THREE) and four cases each of soda and water.

plus, dude from killer wmuh radio garage/punk show in allentown came and suggested i get one of these lo-cal shitty "garage" bands just to boost attendance for future shows. not a chance. i won't ever book a band i don't love. i'm not a "promoter," i just wanna have really good parties from time to time.

the coke machine are gonna debut in the downstairs crab shop's parking lot soon. that oughta be stupid.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Well, if you're not willing to do those things or be patient, it will simply not happen. It doesn't work that way.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 8:48 pm

The new Reigning Sound shirts are bright yellow and say

KIDS DON'T KNOW SHIT.

It's great!
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 9:09 pm

i won't ever book a band i don't love

Just pay bands to play in your living room. It sounds like it will be cheaper.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 9:28 pm

Well, if you're not willing to do those things or be patient, it will simply not happen. It doesn't work that way.

why shouldn't i expect kids that can WALK to the show in five minutes from their front door to be there? and get this, the "weird people" that own/ work at the "weird people tatto shop" ACROSS THE STREET didn't even come, and i had flyers and a poster in there for a month. it shouldn't matter if it's supposed to work that way or not.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 9:29 pm

The new Reigning Sound shirts are bright yellow and say

KIDS DON'T KNOW SHIT.

It's great!

where do i order???
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 12:46 am

i think you actually ...and i know this is a new concept...stay with me here...

ACTUALLY HAVE TO GO TO THE SHOW TO PURCHASE THE SHIRT!

Greg , correct me if i'm wrong but i think thats the way it works...

Dude, the Gamblers usta play to 10 people at beer bust on a wedensday night at antenna...Oblivians too.... trust me, i was there...ha-ha....shit takes time man...nothing is overnight.

It requires a relentless onslaught of shows and advertising.

AND YOU CAN'T GIVE UP. EVER.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 1:55 am

Underattended shows are so much cooler than sold-out shows.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 2:42 am

why shouldn't i expect kids that can WALK to the show in five minutes from their front door to be there? and get this, the "weird people" that own/ work at the "weird people tatto shop" ACROSS THE STREET didn't even come, and i had flyers and a poster in there for a month. it shouldn't matter if it's supposed to work that way or not.
they don't care or see a reason to care yet. for real. if you live in a place where people don't know whats what then you gotta ease them into it. you don't have to be a promoter, but if you do want people to dig on what you're into they need a reason to. and sometimes you gotta hear and be around bands you don't like.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 3:52 am

valiant punk effort, joe! and, hey, you get to hang out with the magentix--awesome folks. too bad about the hot dogs, though. such a waste.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 6:58 am

did you feed 'em to the dogs?
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 7:54 am

Free hot dog with each issue of Ooba Gooba!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 9:26 am

You failed miserably.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 10:34 am

no way. its tough to get 30 folks out on a sunday night, especially in a dead city
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 10:38 am

i know this is a new concept...stay with me here...

ACTUALLY HAVE TO GO TO THE SHOW

i have no idea what you're talking about.

fuh-kit. i had a blast. they just split to buffalo about three mins ago. we had a nice big breakfast and they be gone. time to clean!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 10:40 am

the Gamblers usta play to 10 people at beer bust on a wedensday night at antenna...Oblivians too

also, that's a big city with a ton of options. totally different.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 11:21 am

Actually, it's the opposite - It takes a significant population to get people out to this kind of show (keep in mind that these bands sell 500 copies a record WORLDWIDE) unless you tirelessly/endlessly promote. Even then, it's no guarantee you'll find any success doing it. I've lived in a lot of small towns, and I know of a few where this worked, but those are anomalies AS WELL AS places where people practically killed themselves to make it work. And when that person/persons moved on, everything died instantly. It can be done, but you'd need to practically give your life to it. It's unnatural, like growing crops in the desert. It can be done, but you have to work really hard at it and be smart about it...not to mention lucky.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 11:52 am | Edited by: bazooka joe

i understand all of this. i just do not want to accept it.

this is still about kids not showing up that practically live next door to the venue and i know that the reason the show wasn't packed is because the kids are total fucking dipshits. i did "tirelessly/endlessly promote" and personally gave them all flyers and talked to them about it. that's why i'm dissapointed.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Why would kids wanna come hang out with some old fucker like you who doesn't even know who Hey Monday is?
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 12:07 pm

it wasn't about me, it was about the magnetix.

rock'n'roll.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 12:22 pm

like growing crops in the desert
i totally get this
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 12:27 pm

really? it's so abstract!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 12:39 pm

Listened to a side each of the Oh Sees-/Help and Wooden Shjips-Dos lp's last night. If that's the future of Rock N Roll then count me back in! (Copped the Charlie Patton-Electrically recorded Prayer of Death lp too (You knew I would) but didn't get a chance to blast yet. Today.) Woohoo!

Oh yeah, forget the kids. What do they know? They're kids!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 12:49 pm

the Gamblers usta play to 10 people at beer bust on a wedensday night at antenna...Oblivians too

also, that's a big city with a ton of options. totally different.

have you ever been to Memphis? In rock show terms, the population of Memphis is around 100 people...just cause there are a million people in shelby county doesnt mean there are a "ton of options" or a ton of people are going to show up.

I wouldnt be asshurt (or even questioning) that a some kids didnt come to the show the old goofy guy gave them a flyer for...think about it.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 12:53 pm

but the flyer was PUNK!

despite the dissapointment, I AM HAPPY!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 4:43 pm

but the flyer was PUNK!

despite the dissapointment, I AM HAPPY!

being punk means your never happy! GET IT!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 4:45 pm

or is that being EMO means your never happy?
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 4:50 pm

30 sounds like too many people if you ask me. When I have my basement club it'll be 10 people max. Bar, DJ. Small stage. Festive lighting. We'll blast lots of Oh Sees and Wooden Shjips and Eddie Hazel between bands. Party!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 5:10 pm

30-40 is about the most we can fit in my house. usually the crowd is about 20. 25 is perfect.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 6:17 pm

30 sounds like too many people if you ask me. When I have my basement club it'll be 10 people max.

i'm way into this. STROBE LIGHTS AND CRYSTAL METH!!!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 7:19 pm

PUNK!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 7:47 pm

Thirty to forty people for a town that small is a damn good turnout.

Most kids resent being told what to like. Ditto on suggestions.

I mean, this was your first show there. I say keep going; in a few years, you'll have a good East Coast tour stop, probably with some worthwhile local bands comprised of kids who saw the shows you booked.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 8:08 pm

not doing it again until i can afford to lose $300.

it still feels shitty when you give a neighborhood 18 year old in a bad brains t-shirt a flyer, hear him say, "yeah, i heard about this!" and don't see him there.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 8:38 pm

are there no like all ages venues in town?
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 8:40 pm

have you ever been to Memphis?

whats "memphis"?

HAWW!
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 8:41 pm

yeah, there's this horrible place that makes bands sell a specific number of tix to play there and it's all emo crap. i hear the staff fascistically controls all the patrons actions in the room, too.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 9:04 pm

30-40 people on a sunday is a good turnout almost anywhere. you did the best you could, joe, and had a blast. take a break, do it again when it has to happen.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 10:11 pm

no doubt.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 10:09 pm

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 10:26 pm

that's great. who's blog is that? some high school kid's? i'm gonna link this thread to that post.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 11:26 pm

Shit, I dunno. I was googling "waterboarding works" and found it.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 11:32 pm

Oh, and I used to live in Camp Hill (Mechanicsburg area) from 84 to 91. I love going back, but dear god, I'm glad I left.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 11:22 am

Maybe try a band from America next time.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 11:36 am

been trying to get a u.s. band. none of the bands i wanna see have tours around this area on weekends. i won't do a weekday show.

wire, you shold drop me a line next time you're around.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 1:50 pm | Edited by: deadcityrebel

grab whoever is coming around, if the shows are fun word'll get out
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®