Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Anvil! The Story of Anvil
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 3:23 pm

Anyone seen this yet? Is there any reason to?
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 3:48 pm

looks good.
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 4:32 pm

heard good things
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Jim the Anvil?
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 4:58 pm

It's great. There were times I couldn't believe it was real. The filmmaker had to have set up some shots to look just like scenes from Spinal Tap.

It's not just set up to laugh at the old guys taking metal so seriously either. It's told well and entertaining. Worth seeing, definitely.
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 6:10 pm

I rather watch Balls To the Wall, the Story of Accept.
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 10:35 pm

Cherry Pie, We Hardly Knew Ye: Warrant Has It's Day.
Posted: Apr 19, 2009 7:24 am

Totally worth seeing. Entertaining and hilarious, but I couldn't laugh too hard as I actually saw Anvil back in '82!
Posted: Apr 19, 2009 1:12 pm

Great stuff!

Cool guys fighting the good fight against the stalwart forces of reality.
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 1:44 am

May have to go see that; it opens next week at my favorite arthouse place up in the city. Only heard the name Anvil though; I've yet to hear a note of their music.
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 11:41 am

At times like this I wished I still lived in Portland. It's probably playing at the Laurelhurst. Saw Some Kind of Monster there with a packed house of metalheads who couldn't help laughing at their heroes going down the poop shute. It was really something.

Same thing with End of the Century, also at the 'Hurst.
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 9:24 am

At times like this I wished I still lived in Portland.

me too, except when its october, november, december, january, february, march, april, and may.

totally want to see this movie though.
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 12:44 pm

Only problem with that is, during the 2 or 3 months that we Puddletown people call summer, people go apeshit. It's an outdoor asylum full of drum circles, blues festivals, and it smells bad.

But I WILL see this, eventually.
Posted: May 22, 2009 3:56 pm

It is indeed great. You will laugh and cry, and probably not in the places that you normally would. The Spinal Tap comparison is a little insulting and fair too--you really feel for these guys, but the metal cliches are true. And, just in case noboby already posted this--They're playing in Memphis at the Ridgeway this Sunday! Little Rock, monday!

http://my.tbaytel.net/~tgallo@tbaytel.net/anvil/tour.htm
Posted: May 22, 2009 5:53 pm

i thought it was great.
Posted: May 22, 2009 6:54 pm

CAN'T WAIT!
Posted: May 23, 2009 10:50 am

Thumb Hang.
Posted: May 23, 2009 10:56 am

Posted: May 25, 2009 12:34 pm

movie's great. Seeing the band immediately afterwards was FANTASTIC. Even your grandma would love Anvil!
Posted: May 25, 2009 12:38 pm

I love that one of their mid-90s albums was called ABSOLUTELY NO ALTERNATIVE. Fucking brilliant.
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 8:57 am

saw this last night. excellent!
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 9:50 am

I was a huge Anvil fan in '82 and '83. I was the only person I knew that even listened to them. Seeing them finally "make it" 27 years later made me all teary. Meeting Lips and Rob when they did the theater gig last year was a treat. They never gave up doing what they loved at great sacrifice to themselves and their families until it finally paid off. Kudos. This movie could have been about practically any genre of music and would have still been great because of the message.
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 11:59 am

This movie could have been about practically any genre of music and would have still been great because of the message.

Yep.
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 3:48 pm | Edited by: eric o

so funny, sad, and so great.
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 6:24 pm

it was cute and all but "this is spinal tap" seemed less "staged".
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 2:08 pm

Rob Reiner=This is Spinal Tap
Robb Reiner=This is Anvil

Bring on the irony.
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 4:06 pm

perfect in every way.
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 5:26 pm

cause it's about RAWK?
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 6:05 pm

no, but it's about believing in the power of rock. or just believing in anything, really, so much that you dedicate your whole life to it.

and then on the literal rock side, it's super funny to see them get a european tour and the bass player hooks up with the booker and then quits. and none of the trains get them to shows on time. and on and on.

and yet those two regroup back up in cold, blustery toronto, sunggle back in with the fams, and keep scheming.

because what else are they going to do, you know? there's no confusion. they have their purpose in life.

so it's perfect in every way.
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 2:24 pm

Loved it
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 2:59 pm

i'm sure most of us have seen the similar documentary "american movie"

if you haven't seen it (and you most likely haven't), track down "dirty country", a documentary from the same people who travel around doing the found footage festival.

it's about a guy who records dirty country songs & has numerous albums of them sold at such places like truck stops. another "do what you love" message, even if it doesn't make you rich.

dirty country
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 7:02 pm

what's it called?
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 7:08 pm

so it's perfect in every way.

did you do the sports movie "standing slow clap" at the end?
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 8:31 pm

filthy western
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 5:20 pm

I was convinced this movie was when I saw it
Posted: Sep 20, 2010 6:29 pm

Interview with Chris "Cutloose" Hillis here.

Scroll down for MAD DOG & CUT LOOSE BURN LUMBER JACKET IN OSHAWA ONTARIO video.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®