Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Record Store Day, 2009
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 8:19 am | Edited by: Rich Balls

I like this day.

“Independent record stores are where I find the new music that in many cases is the most vital and cutting edge music out there. As a guy who has had experience trying to get his music heard; these places are so valuable to artists and music fans alike. The synergy is incredible because it is where lives are changed and where artist meets listener. As a kid, the independent record store was so important because I was able to find things that I really cared about and discovered music that mattered to me on a personal level: records and music that set my imagination and spirit soaring. It is that important. It is life!”
-TAD
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 12:43 pm

records and music that set my imagination and spirit soaring. It is that important. It is life!”

Oh Tad, you 'ol softie...
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 1:55 pm

8 Way Record Day!
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 2:08 pm

What about the mall???
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 2:17 pm

I wanna help! How do I get involved????????????
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 2:27 pm

go buy some records
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 3:13 pm

I know at least three people who were born on 4/18. I'll have to celebrate their birthdays by going out and buying myself a bunch of records.
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 3:30 pm

I know at least three people who were born on 4/18. I'll have to celebrate their birthdays by going out and buying myself a bunch of records.

yes!
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 3:55 pm

I wanna help! How do I get involved????????????
draw a cartooooon!
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 4:05 pm

go buy some records
lp's suck. CD's are RAD.
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 4:05 pm

im just kidding. CD's are RAD tho.
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 4:47 pm

That's funny. A couple days ago Rith Bawls was making fun of me for managing a record store. What a jerk. Just like his hero "Ed."
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 8:27 pm

quit pretending you're a manager!
Posted: Apr 12, 2009 2:41 am

managing deez nutz!

local yokels can "help" by going here the night prior. Couldn't hurt to see that badass lineup for free either.... Just sayin'....

Outside Austin, specials abound! Except at riggler's shop where specials are always a-boundin'! Cheap shot!
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 11:47 am

Amoeba is having "no tax day" on April 15th. Wonder if they will also follow that up with the 18th?

The stores are so huge, they can carry inventory forever without having to cut prices. Then they pay you $1.00 per used CD.

I'm bitter.
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 10:08 am

We will be having FREE PIZZA all day. Ask for Rich Riggler and I'll give you a Record Store Day discount on your purchase. Not applicable to any "Ed" Oblivian dead stock we may have laying around the store.

Bring us your used CD's. We pay more than $1!
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 10:13 am

Posted: Apr 14, 2009 10:56 am

also, CANNIBAL CORPSE will be doing a meet & greet. NO JOKE!!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/BLABBERMOUTH.net/news.aspx?mode=Artic le&newsitemID=117482
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 11:48 am

nice.

nice?
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 12:21 pm

i hope they are immediately after the Pius High School Jazz Band
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 12:22 pm

at least it looks that way on the flier
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 2:37 pm

I just got an
"LSD: A documentray report on the current psychedelic drug controversy" LP
on Captial Records (TAO-2574)!

(I can't find any info on this, anyone see it before?)

trippy!
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Just got a bunch of shit

Two more volumes of Eccentric Soul
Frijid Pink's first LP
Joe Turner-Rides Again
Etta James-The Second Time Around
Buddy Holly-For The First Time Anywhere
Betty Lavette-Do Your Duty
Golden Groups-Lupine Story

the first volume of that lost surf series Sundazed put out, and some other stuff tool
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Yeah I bought some stuff... we went to 3 different stores on a beautiful Chicago day... Ronnie's first record shopping trip!

U.S. Music LP : Funkadelic side project thing from '72... stoned out jamz!

John Lee Hooker - "This Is Hip" LP: Charly comp of some of his Vee Jay stuff from '55-'64...

Smoke - "It's Smoke Time" reissue LP: been looking for this for a while... UK group from mid-60's... Who/Small Faces-ish... of 'My Friend Jack' fame from Nuggets II... awesome, surprisingly solid album!

The Rats - s/t LP : Mississippi reissue - picked this up finally - I find these records (& I know I may be in the minority here) to be more satisfying than Dead Moon... maybe 'cause it's kinda Wipers-ish (or the Wipers are Rats-ish... whatever)... good record... who know - it may change my mind on Dead Moon - we'll see...

Tyvek - "Blessed" b/w "Summer Things" 7" - these guys somehow made it onto my "buy everything they put out" list... great band - can't wait for the LP....

MC5 "Kick Out The Jams" 7" - the only Record Store Day exclusive I wanted that i was actually able to buy... stoopid elusive Slayer single!!! Does Goner have any left?!?! Argh!
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 3:48 pm

we didn't get it...
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 3:53 pm

I checked out my favourite store in town and didn't find anything good, but I did go to a flea market and picked up a neat Bontempi electric organ for $10.
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 3:58 pm

Sonc Youth/Reatard split and Hey Zeus Lizard 7" pack were the first to run out over here

best question of the day:
"Do you have records?"
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 5:37 pm

It's been a long Record Store Day. We sold a ton of stuff. I'm going home now.
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 5:42 pm

The Rats - s/t LP : Mississippi reissue - picked this up finally - I find these records (& I know I may be in the minority here) to be more satisfying than Dead Moon... maybe 'cause it's kinda Wipers-ish (or the Wipers are Rats-ish... whatever)... good record... who know - it may change my mind on Dead Moon - we'll see...

wait, did you get this at dusty groove? i had this in my hand but then wound up getting the hell's belles soundtrack instead.
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 8:27 pm

hells belles will be around for a while, grab that rats!
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 8:31 pm

fuck. yeah. good point.
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 9:00 pm

was there a split beck/sonic? i think i have one, in stead
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 9:02 pm

wait, did you get this at dusty groove? i had this in my hand but then wound up getting the hell's belles soundtrack instead.

got it at Permanent... I think they still have some... I think Dusty had the second one "Intermittent Signals"
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 10:16 pm

That Slayer 7" is a motherfucker!
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 10:17 pm

hells belles is best enjoyed on og press. still looking. yea, i've heard the reish, and the fidelity doesn't come close, but it'll do. HOGGIN MACHINE!
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 10:19 pm

glad to say i got a 60s sears solid state portable rd and white op-art record player today. had a family gathering to attend and didn't make it to a rec store. the player came from a cousin in law!
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 10:20 pm

60s sears solid state portable rd and white op-art record player today
nice score!
Posted: Apr 19, 2009 9:49 am

My Mom!
It's all her fault. To this day, she can steer a conversation to records/music/radio within the first five minutes.

I bought the Wax Poetics reissue of the Lyman Woodard Organization's "Saturday Night Special" and the "I Got Two Wings" book/CD.
Posted: Apr 19, 2009 10:24 am

Didn't see Cannibal Corpse or the Pabst Pub Crawl. Didn't buy any records. Did see Sugar Stems, The Hussey (who rule!), Midwest Beat and Plexi 3. Saw Dusty there with the lil' nipper. Got many free beers. But it was Keystone Light (!!!!????!!!!).
Posted: Apr 19, 2009 10:53 am

I got a pile a junk, but I also got the reissue of "Check Your Head" for 10 percent off.

Lee Hazlewood and Nancy LP
the Big Star LP reissues
Gene Clark "only colombe" Sundazed 45
Bought a copy of 'Z Gun' (at FBC in East Lansing)
Cassius Clay "I am the Greatest" LP (for a buck)
Donovan "Catch the Wind"
Bob Dylan/The Band LP
Jay/ Sonic Youth 7"
some old Crawdaddy issues
Posted: Apr 19, 2009 11:19 am

Those will sound great in your Mom's basement as you stalk "Ed" on the internet. Congrats!
Posted: Apr 19, 2009 12:02 pm

Cheer up, then go buy some KY warming gel for your old bag.
Posted: Apr 19, 2009 12:03 pm

God, I feel sorry for both of you.
Posted: Apr 19, 2009 12:07 pm

stalk "Ed" on the internet
funny, that seems to be your motif.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®