Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / What is your least favorite part of your house to clean?
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:34 am

Mine is the part of the toilet that's between where the two hinges of the toilet seat attach. That spot is very good at catching stray drops of urine, pubes, and other nasty debris. When I clean it, my face is frozen in an expression of extreme disgust.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:36 am

I hate cleaning the base of the toilet, especially where it's closest to the wall.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:43 am

i hate cleaning my room. i still also hate taking out the garbage
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:47 am

i hate cleaning my room. i still also hate taking out the garbage

What's new? You been hating that for 25 years...

I hate cleaning out the bottom of the garbage can where garbage gets tossed, unbeknownst to me, prior to adding the trash bag.

Crowbar - I'm with you - that is probably the nastiest spot ever invented.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:48 am

get a Shamwow.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:50 am

get a maid!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:52 am

Both are pretty gross, but I would have to say the base is the worst. You have to get down on the floor, have your face close to the toilet, your arm sometimes accidently rubs against it.... it's a dirty job.

The part Crowbar speaks of is pretty nasty too. But I use a paper towel, one swipe and flush, then a new paper towel and repeat as often as necessary.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:55 am

I hate cleaning out the bottom of the garbage can where garbage gets tossed, unbeknownst to me, prior to adding the trash bag.

I hate that too. Why can't somebody (not naming names) wait until I am back from taking out the garbage or put a new bag in themselves?
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:03 pm

power spray with hot water, then Shamwow the fuck outta it.
-Vince Shlomi
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:26 pm

i hate sweeping the floor and dusting because my allergies are RIDICULOUS. i'd gladly clean the bathroom every week than ever have to try to sweep the floor. (with that said, we have two dogs and two cats gallavanting around the house getting their hair EVERYWHERE. when there's not animals around, it's not so bad.)

i am also not a big fan of doing dishes by hand, but i'll do it if i don't have a dishwasher present.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:29 pm

with that said, we have two dogs and two cats gallavanting around the house getting their hair EVERYWHERE

getting a swiffer will help, assuming you have hardwood floors. i've got 3 cats & a dog.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:40 pm

I hate cleaning the base of the toilet, especially where it's closest to the wall.

ditto...I'm in the middle of a bathroom renovation and despite 2 days of
chiseling and sledgehammer-ing the fuck outta tile and mortar bed, the worst part was pulling the toilet and getting 'shit wax' on my hand...
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:41 pm

Kitchen is the worst for me. I destroy it the most.

Living alone in a bachelor pad and only spending on average 5 waking hours a day at home, the bathroom is easy to clean. I gotta say that not living with chicks is amazing! A 4-pack of Scott TP lasts a year! Oh, and as for the base of the toilet, I get that with the mop. No way I'm sponging that!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:46 pm | Edited by: arman

Living alone in a bachelor pad....agreed, esp. mine. its the equivalent of an arctic explorers cabin, circa 1890.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:50 pm

I have a wood stove that keeps the house nice and toasty but is a bitch to clean. There's only a round hole on top for putting wood in and it's hard to get the broom and the shovel in at the same time. Inevitably I get ash all over the place.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:55 pm

wood stove

i got one as well. mine is really easy to clean, but it does kick out some ash. along with the heater it does help if you keep it blazing, but my house was completely gutted by the owner, so now its just one big room so its a bit drafty at times. hence 1890 house.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:07 pm

cat litter.

It's pretty easy to keep the toilet and bathroom clean, Living alone in a bachelorette pad except when I have parties. Although the worst was when I had plumbers repairing the heat in my place and I let them use the bathroom. Ugh. Took me forever to figure out where the piss smell was coming from.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:09 pm

I have a wood stove
I'm looking at a Napoleon...Growing up, we had a front loader that would run you out of the house in January when burning some Rockingham County white oak and gum!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:36 pm

Why can't somebody (not naming names) wait until I am back from taking out the garbage or put a new bag in themselves?

My thought too. My dilemma is that it often happens after the jr millionaire boy takes out the trash and I hate to fuss when he is so good about doing his chores without reminders.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:50 pm

wood stove

i got one as well.

do you assholes live in a cabin?
i want a wood stove.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:56 pm

do you assholes live in a cabin?

what part of "1890s house" did you not understand?
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:07 pm

doesn't mean it was a cabin. lots of normal buildings don't have them
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:14 pm

I hate scrubbing the shower. My arm gets tired!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:39 pm

Yeah, pretty much anything toilet-related sucks ass. I hate those little plastic cover thingies that go over the bolts that screw the toilet to the floor. Every time I clean down there, they come off to reveal the piss-rusted screws beneath.

I think I'm just gonna start pissing out the window.

Also, you know what else totally sucks? Wiping soot off every square inch of wall and ceiling space in your kitchen cause you accidentally turned a burner on that had some environment-friendly reusable grocery bags sitting on it and they caught on fire and filled your whole house with black smoke while you were down in the basement and didn't even know about it till you heard your fire alarm and girlfriend going off...not that I would know, or anything. That DEFINITELY didn't happen to me. On Sunday.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:54 pm

the mold. its pretty much everywhere.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:55 pm

pulling the toilet and getting 'shit wax' on my hand...

Yeah, that wax ring is pretty gross. My old boss would never throw old ones away. Cheap ass would save enough to form new ones for future bathrooms we would be working on. Disgusting.

Also, you know what else totally sucks? Wiping soot off every square inch of wall and ceiling space in your kitchen cause you accidentally turned a burner on that had some environment-friendly reusable grocery bags sitting on it and they caught on fire and filled your whole house with black smoke while you were down in the basement and didn't even know about it till you heard your fire alarm and girlfriend going off...not that I would know, or anything. That DEFINITELY didn't happen to me. On Sunday.

Hahaha, that would DEFINITELY suck if it did happen to you, on Sunday.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 3:26 pm

the part between the front door and the back door. i'm not much into cleaning. i will say that once i get it there, my house will stay relatively clean - or neat, i guess - for like months.

all it takes is one stray sock and it's a surprisingly quick and disgraceful slide into abject squalor.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:17 pm

The toilet
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:22 pm

I like my apartment except that the bathroom ventilation is inadequate, so every 6 months or so I have to drag a stepladder in there to clean all the mold off the walls and ceiling.

I hate that.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:45 pm

all of it, dishes the most.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 5:18 pm

I like my apartment except that the bathroom ventilation is inadequate, so every 6 months or so I have to drag a stepladder in there to clean all the mold off the walls and ceiling
open the window and spray like a light bleach solution on the mold spots
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 6:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but...it doesn't have a window, which is probably what causes the mold in the first place...
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 8:14 pm

still, try the bleach solution thing.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 10:00 pm

The taint
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:15 pm

I like my apartment except that the bathroom ventilation is inadequate, so every 6 months or so I have to drag a stepladder in there to clean all the mold off the walls and ceiling
open the window and spray like a light bleach solution on the mold spots

Thanks for the suggestion, but...it doesn't have a window, which is probably what causes the mold in the first place...

still, try the bleach solution thing.

Same bathroom situation. Tried the bleach thing recently. It worked like a miracle. However, DO NOT overdo it with the bleach. Aside from the fact that the toxic fumes will probably kill you they stay in the bathroom for a week and a half. I used bleach based cleaning products by the way.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:43 pm

I used bleach based cleaning products by the way.
yeah, those work too. do you have a fan you can use to pull the air out of the bathroom?
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 1:32 am

Inevitably I get ash all over the place.
Ash-ville.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 4:28 am

I don't do windows
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 11:35 am

my room. damn clothes. put em away just to get em right back out.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®