Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Worst double LP by an otherwise kickass band.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 11:28 pm

Tusk.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 11:32 pm

camper van beethoven?
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 11:39 pm

Camper had a double worse than Tusk??? And Camper is better than Fleetwood at their best????
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 11:41 pm

cvb covered tusk in it's entirety and it totally rules.

i've never heard the mac version.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:14 am | Edited by: dont wanna be a fat boy

Harumi- s/t; but I think it's the only album he made. First record is great Japanese-tinged psych-pop, but second is two sidelong fucking wanks with bad poetry over them (one of which is entirely in Japanese to boot).

And don't forget Sixteen Wires From The New Provocate; the entire concept of a double LP on fuckin' Rip Off was/ still is ridiculous is it not?!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:43 am

Tusk.
check out the video on youtubes.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:37 am

sandanista. 3 lps though. at least 2 lps worth sucked.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:21 am

TUSK FUCKING RULZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:27 am

The Who "Tommy"
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:32 am

Cut The Crap isn't a double LP, but man, does it suck.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:33 am

ESPN used to have an ad for golf in which they made the manager for the senior's tour, an ex-band manager. A line in one of the ads was "This course has ruined more careers than a bad selling double album.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 8:49 am

i wasn't aware fleetwood mac was ever kick-ass
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 9:21 am

Hate to agree with Plastic Fag Baby, but the Registrators went from great to 16 Wires (unbearable). I don't give 2 shits about Fleetwood Mac.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 9:36 am

I thought the Deadly Snakes double LP was pretty boring. The only album I don't own of theirs.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 9:45 am

Flux Of Pink Indians - "The Fucking Cunts Treat Us Like Pricks"
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:48 am

The Who "Tommy"

This might be the best example. The overwhelming shittyness of Tommy compared to the general awesomeness of the rest of the Who catalog is a wide gap.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:44 pm | Edited by: dont wanna be a fat boy

I thought the Deadly Snakes double LP was pretty boring

I did too, at first- got it out again last week, though, and it actually sounded great to me; I was bored with it at first partially because I'd seen them play so many times and they were one hell of an energetic band

and, apart from "Someone's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight," nothing Mick Fleetwood ever did has ever meant shit to me
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:07 pm

Rumours is in my top ten LPs of all time!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:34 pm

sandanista. 3 lps though. at least 2 lps worth sucked.

beat me to it. shitsville!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:40 pm

I feel about the clash the way a lot feel about fleetwood mac. None of their shit's good to me.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:43 pm

Do Reigning Sound have any double albums? Oh wait, it says kickass not kiss-ass. My bad.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:54 pm

Bob Dylan - Self Portrait
Beatles white album
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 3:08 pm

"i wasn't aware fleetwood mac was ever kick-ass"

Peter Green,not Stevie Nicks.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 3:31 pm

shit man tusk is my favorite thing they did after the chicks joined the band! only Buckingham's songs though - Stevie & Christine's were better on the previous two. hell, i made a cd of just Lindsey's songs and it's fucking great.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 3:35 pm

hell, i made a cd of just Lindsey's songs and it's fucking great.

That's a good idear. I'm gonna rig up a playlist like that.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:12 pm

We have a winner.

Someone gave me this when I was about 12. Even then I knew it was shit.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:16 pm

We have a winner.

Someone gave me this when I was about 12. Even then I knew it was shit.

Thats one of the worst records ever made.

What the fuck was Dylan thinking??

Also Fleetwood Mac was finished when Peter Green left.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:27 pm

Peter Green,not Stevie Nicks.

Then Play On = great single record.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:41 pm

self portrait has good covers of "gotta travel on" & "early morning rain" and maybe like two other good songs, but yeah, largely forgettable.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 5:47 pm

Kinks Preservation Act 2

Tusk ain't so bad and Rumors does rule!
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 4:02 pm

The Who "Tommy"
I love "Tommy" (except maybe "Welcome"). However "Quadrophenia" is totally stiff bombastic yak shit.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 7:52 pm

Beatles white album

you are fucking WRONG
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 1:32 am

funny-- I saw some reference to Self Portrait (in another review) a couple weeks ago and stole a copy off the internet. I'd never heard it. Put it on at work-- didn't seem THAT horrible. In fact, it didn't seem much different from the middling 70s Dylan. Though I probably missed the low points...
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 1:37 am

The Who "Tommy"

From what I remember, they ran out of studio money and had to rush it out the door. Entwistle's bass tracks are all rough takes (still pretty impressive!). I think there were some missing overdubs, too?

I recall listening to it when I was a teenager and expecting more lush / big / grand production. It's also the beginning of the end, for me-- they're pretty boring by the time Who's Next tries for "epic" at every turn.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 1:08 am

The Tommy album was spoiled, if not ruined for me because I saw the movie first; "You won't shite as I fiddle abite" etc.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 9:39 am

The movie is the worst thing I have ever seen. Gave me nightmares as a kid.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 9:42 am

The movie is the worst thing I have ever seen.
The Tommy album was spoiled, if not ruined for me because I saw the movie first No argument there.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 9:53 am

I vote for Self Portrait too...In my apartment we don't listen to that record, we use it to roll joints.

Also, all and all I've always thought The Who was over-rated with the exeption of Kieth Moon. When The Who is good, they're very very good, and when they're bad they're craptastic. As far as I'm concerned that goes for every era.

I do like Who Are You thow...since it's written about running into The Sex Pistols at the peak of their hype in a bar, and being like "Who the fuck are you?" That's cool.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 10:59 am

Back to the movie version of Tommy, what to hate the most about it? Oliver Reed singing? Jack Nicholson singing? The synthesizers? The fact that Roger Daltrey is practically Ann Margaret's age though she plays his mom (she was hot, though)? The whole Ken Russell (??) cocaine production? The fact that the whole Tommy story makes no real sense?

As you can tell, it disturbed me greatly at a young age. Saw it a few months ago and it was still bad.

The Who Sell Out and Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy are all I need.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 11:54 am

When I say kid, I meant I was about 11; bought the soundtrack album at a garage sale and then rented the movie. And yes, it gave me serious nightmares too. I've long since become a big fan of Ken Russell, though. What I meant is that it was hard to go backwards and just listen to the Who album when you already have that movie burned into your brain.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 1:41 pm

I was nine years old watching it at a friend's house. Showtime had just came out, cable TV was a new thing, and I remember Tommy, The Kids Are Alright, and Alice Cooper in Concert were in heavy rotation. The irony is that Alice didn't frighten me at all, it just seemed funny.

There's still something not quite right about Tommy (the movie), very dark and misguided. The movie didn't ruin the album for me, they're two separate things. Don't need either of 'em.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®