Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Brian Jonestown Massacre
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 1:05 pm

What's the consensus on them around here? They've done a lot of stuff I like...they've also done a lot of stuff I don't like...I'm moderately interested in seeing them with the recently-updated Matt Hollywood lineup. Anyone catch them lately?
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 2:51 pm

i'm in your camp - i could take 'em or leave 'em - but i was talking with someone that saw them a couple weeks ago, and he was floored. he said they played a 2-1/2 hour set and it was amazing, so if you're on the fence, it might be worth it.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:13 pm

been real interested in all the BJM off-shoots, Spindrift for one... yeah, after all this time off, I'd go see 'em - not cuz I expect greatness after such an erratic history but simply out of curiosity. good to hear the recent shows are jaw-droppingly good.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:25 pm

I saw them about five years ago, knowing very little about them, and they completely blew me away. I had read about them so was expecting some bad craziness but nope, just a killer set.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 5:07 pm

I'm gonna try and hit the Memphis show this weekend.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 6:22 pm

They was the best band at September's All Tomorrow's Parties, for what that's worth...
www.shangrilaprojects.com
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 12:02 am

Just watch the documentary DIG!. As for live,im waiting till they come since during sxsw a few back they took to long to set up and I went and saw something gayer at beerland
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 2:02 am

I like their band name and anti-ness much more than their music. I'll pass.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 8:17 am

I don't usually like bands that are at times so derivitive that I can actually hum the Stones, Kinks, or Spaceman 3 song they are ripping directly over their retitled version but they are the exception. When they're on they're on... they got the hooks.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 2:40 pm

When they're on they're on... totally. walked on a few over the years but the two i've seen where they brought it were standing motionless with the jaw agape brought it. worth throwing the dice.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 11:22 am

i've seen them several times. only once did i have to walk out due to the constant verbal diarrhea coming from Anton, and lack of actual playing.

i saw them last week here in Chicago, and they were on top of their shit, and really fucking good. they've had a steady line up for a long time now and with matt and joel it makes it that much better.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 12:01 pm

That documentary was truly unsettling. I guess that's a good thing?
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 12:40 pm

i may go see them this weekend as it is the first time i'd be seein them. i like their records. *shrugs*
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 12:42 pm

great last night in Asheville.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 3:56 pm

I saw them about five years ago, knowing very little about them, and they completely blew me away

me too. schuba's in chicago. good gig.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®