Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / kick ass records by middle agers
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 11:42 am

that pierced arrows record is pretty good.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 11:48 am

Shit dude beat me to it.
Erase my other thread...It's got be RNR records thow, because that's what Rich Riggler is trying to figure out. He's going threw some sort of life-crisis so lest all help him out.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 11:51 am

Hell Bill Haley was middle aged when he did Rock Around The Clock....fuckin Chuck Berry.

I mean Blondie was 31 when they got started....shit this list could go on forever.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 11:51 am

MOTO!
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 11:55 am | Edited by: rich riggler

Blondie

MOTO

I said great. Having a little trouble here aren't you? Maybe try listing Fred Cole a few more times.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 12:08 pm

Hank IV
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 12:10 pm

THOR!

Black Oak Arkansas!
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 12:13 pm

Serge Gainsbourg, History of Melody Nelson
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 12:15 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

Hank IV

YES!

not the band, i meant... YEAH!
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 12:22 pm

howlin wolf didn't start recording until 41.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 12:30 pm

Hank IV

fucking rules...plus includes NC hometown hero!
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 12:35 pm

I said 45 not 30. Chuck Berry and Bill Haley had their hits from 30-34. Howlin Wolf recorded earlier in Memphis but he and Muddy Waters are the rare exceptions. Of course they weren't Rock N Roll which is what the discussion is here. So far Beer Joint isn't doing so well. Maybe you could mention Fred Cole again.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 12:38 pm

weren't you raving about the alarm clocks comeback lp?
but i guess they are over-the-hillers, not middle agers.
and that record wasn't kick ass.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 1:25 pm

T. Rex
Jimi Hendrix
early Who
Germs
Dead Boys
Buddy Holly
New York Dolls
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 1:34 pm

old skull
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 1:48 pm

rusted shut at sound on sound last weekend. and i didnt even get to stick around to see them play. i just got the feeling they did their own thing and didnt incessantly bitch on the internet about people more successful than them which totally fucking rocks. and i would take just about any howe gelb or bob pollard song to this day over some of the shit ive heard you endorse, record store guy.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 1:56 pm

Weird Al Yankovic!
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 1:58 pm

^ he gots a point
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 2:03 pm

Leonard Cohen
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 2:10 pm

that cococoma lp was pretty good.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 2:25 pm

that cococoma lp was pretty good.

hey!
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 2:27 pm

ba-ZING!!!
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 2:29 pm | Edited by: Beer Joint

Hound Dog Taylor didn't record untill he was 56....I don't think we need to include blues musicians thow. Rich said RNR musicians.

And the reason it's harder to think of records by middle agers, is because age is pretty much a moot point....How often do you recall hearing about how old a musician is unless they're below drinking age or had thier first hit over the age of 40...like Lucinda Williams. I mean hell, consider Sandman from Morphine...no one knows how old he realy was. It doesn't fucking matter that much. It all goes back to stupid companies marketing to the baby boomers...it realy only became an issue during the 60's counter culture movement, where you're not supposed to trust anyone over 30, and can't you see how much validity that had? It was a ploy to sell more pepsi and shit like that. You've been duped into thinking that viable music has to come from people who still get acne and have to play music because it's the only way they'll ever get laid.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 3:07 pm

first four or five Sensational Alex Harvey Band albums; dude had been playing rock 'n' roll for nearly twenty years already and was 40+ when he finally made it
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 4:57 pm

The Terminals (from New Zealand) immediately spring to mind. They have been together since about 1988, not to mention all the bands they were in before that. Had a great new record out last year. HERE is a photo of their gracefully aging mugs.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 7:14 pm

Gene Clark
Roky
Andre Williams and Nathaniel Mayer
Townes Van Zandt
Neil Young
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 7:44 pm

Don Howland
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 7:45 pm

pat todd/lazy cowgirls, tom waits,,,
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 8:01 pm

Pat Todd really does kick ass!

also, Charlie Pickett...

Dex Romweber's 42, shows no signs of stoppin' the rockin'.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 8:50 pm

CHEATER SLICKS
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 9:01 pm

CHEATER SLICKS

case CLOSED.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 9:09 pm | Edited by: Rich Balls

re-opened:

Haunted George
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 9:10 pm

didnt incessantly bitch on the internet about people more successful than them which totally fucking rocks

Nah, they save that for their shows. They have always totally fucking rocked.

KILL! KILL! KILL!
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 9:12 pm

this takes the cake!

the moooon is beeaautiful!
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 9:40 pm

Posted: Apr 2, 2009 9:42 pm

re-opened:

Haunted George

he's still 15.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 9:56 pm

action swingers reunion:
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 9:57 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I guess I really don't give a fuck about kickass albums by aging rockers. Kickass shows by aging rockers rulem, tho.

Lazy Cowgirls totally ruled last couple times I seen 'em. I suppose the most recent mindblower was Roy Loney in Tacoma. Fuckin' A RIGHT!

I rode my bike up to Olympia and took local busses to Tacoma, so it took me 13 hours to get to the gig, but it was WELL worth it.
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 6:53 am

Menudo!
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 8:47 am

COMPLETE middle aged dudes.

it's probably just the meth that makes him look old.
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 9:15 am

wire's 'read and burn' stuff was pretty damn good
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 9:56 am

Kickass shows by aging rockers rulem, tho.

The Beasts of Bourbon. The live alb "Low Life" destroys anything done by anybody younger anytime in recent memory. Granted, it's versions of older songs they've played a million times, but they got better at playing them as they got older. Tex is a way better singer now then he was on Axeman's Jazz. Listen to the live version of "Dropout" vs. the original version. He was just finding his voice then, vs. being in total command of his shit now. And Salmon isn't even on the live record.

Their show at Beerland a couple years ago was one of the best rock n' roll shows I've ever seen. So good that nothing else has come close to raising my pulse since. To the point where I can't even enjoy these lesser performances by lesser (younger) bands anymore.
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 10:08 am

radio birdman KICKED SERIOUS ASS live couple years ago. best of any 'old' reformed bands i've seen. 'zeno beach' was pretty good, not quite 'kick ass' though
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 10:38 am

mudhoney still put on a good show.
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 10:56 am

grinderman wasn't too shabby.
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 8:02 pm

rich thompson
roy wood
dylan
doug sahm
jimmy dale gilmore
van morrison
john fahey
ry cooder
marianne faithful
nick cave
cheater slicks
neil
townes
gene c

6 million r'b and blues artists and jazz guys

i think the point was orig about musicians not rock and rollers getting all used up

but i ain't going back to THAT thread
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 8:20 pm

GBV!!

Bob Pollard was 36 when Bee Thousand came out
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 9:15 pm

Ray Condo was TOTALLY kickin' ass when he was still around. His records got a little too caught up in the swing craze back then, but... ya know.

Elvis Costello about 5 years back was prolly the best middle-ager show I've seen lately.
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 1:11 am

hasil adkins
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 3:30 am

wild man fischer
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 3:41 am

Hound Dog Taylor didn't record untill he was 56

WOW. wow wow.

inspiration--raw power--does not fade with age. you might break a hip or kill your knees like james brown, but spirit is spirit. and a lot of rock and rollers have that spirit.

you know, this might sound weird, but it is really striking to watch an older (40s, 50s, 60s) man or woman push it out with swagger and sweat and sexual presence. it's commanding.
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 7:46 am

W. de Wycombe was pretty good but I really like Perotin the Great
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 8:30 am

i see yr wild man and raisde you the good captain

today i've been listening to waylon, tom t hall, bj south, and george jones

they're rock and roll, right?

didn't cash put out a good record when he was 86?

matisse and wallace stevens got better with age.
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 8:54 am

you know, this might sound weird, but it is really striking to watch an older (40s, 50s, 60s) man or woman push it out with swagger and sweat and sexual presence. it's commanding.

nathaniel mayer
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 4:18 pm

Nope.
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 5:07 pm

George Jones' voice is too great to be a rock singer's!
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 5:32 pm

weekends were made for waylon.
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 8:35 pm

Spike Jones probably released some good ones passed his 20's.
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 10:37 pm

radio birdman KICKED SERIOUS ASS live couple years ago

yes, they sure enough did; didn't like that new record too much, though

met a guy at the show who was a soldier stationed in Australia and saw them play around 1977/ 78; said he never forgot them- and no wonder
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 3:08 pm

COMPLETE middle aged dudes.

it's probably just the meth that makes him look old.

The guy with the COMPLETE stuff also had this.

Totally WYLDE!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 6:58 pm

i just got sucked into a youtube guitar hole.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 9:01 pm

Nope.

if you don't think tom t hall and captain beefheart are rock and roll you are as deaf to music as you are blind to football.

back to Radcliffe helen!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®