Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / not sure if this in "tin foil hat' material, but...
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 4:20 pm

...i've been noticing on oldies radio stations that there are certain songs (mostly the one hit or minor hit for the big hit makers) that sound like they have been re-done by studio hack bands with singers that sound like the original. there are certain THINGS about the new sounding recordings that seperate them from the originals, mostly keyboard sounds and vocal reverb isn't the rich chamber or plate reverbs, but kind of thin digital. maybe they are just re-mastered in a real stanic way? anyone notice this? am i nuts?
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 4:48 pm

It may be that the compression radio stations use brings out the reverb more, making it sound different. I noticed our mixes sound a little more compressed and reverb-y on WEVL. Or at least it seems that way to me.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 4:51 pm

quite fucking dastardly.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 4:55 pm

a lot of times "best of" tapes and cds are studio hack bands with singers that sound like the original. ihope they aren't actually doing thison the radio. lame if so.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 4:57 pm

I think some of them are actually re-recorded versions, just done so well it's hard to tell.

I've been interested in this ever since I picked up that copy of Chuck Berry's Greatest Hits...on Mercury. I was about 17. "Wait a minute! This doesn't SOUND right! What's going on here?"
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 5:00 pm

compression radio

i dunno, man. 'abba' seemed more shrill and neil diamond not so 'dulcet'. those are the two that really come to mind. redoing a song would seem something totally up clear channels alley. making it 'new' for new listeners and spray painting a turd for older listeners (shut ins) to perk up to.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 5:05 pm

Could be the drugs kickin in too ya know...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®