Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / They Might Be Giants, anyone??
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 8:11 am

My girlfriend hates 'em. Actually, I know a lot of people that hate 'em. I think they're geniuses though. You gotta at least respect them for the sheer number of songs they've written.

Just found my Flood cassette yesterday and listened to it for the first time in years. One of the greatest achievements in the history of recorded music.

I think people who are capable of making music that makes fun of another style of music are on a whole other level.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 12:05 pm

like weird al?

i liked 'em in 7th grade
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 12:40 pm

First (self-titled) record was/is great.
Next two or three have their moments. They lost me after that.
This was approximately 17 years ago. . .Can't speak to any of their more recent output.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 12:41 pm

they do a lot of kiddie music now, it's surprisingly good
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Please pass the milk please
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 1:49 pm

When I was a Freshman at Tulane, I joined WTUL, the Tulane Radio station. I was hanging out at the radio station office one day and They Might Be Giants stopped by for an interview. No one wanted to interview them, cause they suck. I volunteered, cause I just wanted to be on the air during the day (I had a 2AM-6AM show that changed my life - for real).

WTUL "reviews" all the records and CDs in the stacks. The Music Director writes reviews on white stickers that he/she puts on the CDs. While interviewing They Might Be Giants, they grabbed one of the CDs and read the review over the air. The review totally ripped them apart. It was brutal. Of course, it was totally awkward for me, but they were good sports about it.

By the way, those dudes are super-ugly.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 3:06 pm

the first few records are incredibly well-crafted, creatively recorded (nobody was using MIDI cheese as well as they were back then, not even the Residents) and undeniably catchy. Lincoln is probably my favorite.

I'd probably throw them in the "guilty pleasure" category, because you can't be an internet toughguy and admit to liking TMBG without making excuses.

I hated them for years, though, when all I'd heard was that fucking "birdhouse" song and assumed they were just a wackier version of REM or something. as a nerd who thought he was somehow cooler than the other nerds, liking TMBG was surrender. eventually I came around. generally speaking, people who hate TMBG take themselves way too seriously.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 3:24 pm

Yeah...what Frankensline said.

I used to really enjoy Lincoln years, and years ago and some of those songs pop into my head periodically.

"She wants a shoe-horn...the kind with Teeth,

People should get beat-up for stating their beliefs."
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 3:51 pm

i liked em in highschool and then i grew a pair.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 5:28 pm

and then i grew a pair.
oh boy, did he!!!
they are hairy too!
it looks like a squirrel is tucked in his jokey shorts!
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 8:46 pm

build a little birdhouse in your soul. If i found FLood on LP format, id buy it. I have no shame.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 8:47 pm

i bought Pet Shop Boys a few ago, I have no shame.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 8:59 pm

MINIMUUUM WAAAAAAAAAGE!
HEEEEEE-YAAAAAAAH!
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 9:37 pm

I took off the intellectuals. I put on There May Be Giants.
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 12:02 am

fixin to make it better with a six of miller high life
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 9:55 am

Then I think about the dirt that I'll be wearin' for a shirt
and I hope that I get old before I die
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

do the dumb things I gotta do. Touch the puppet head
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®