Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / gizmos appreciation thread
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 1:49 am

i need more of them. neeeed.
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 2:54 am

Prefer the 1st version versus the later version without any of the original members (i.e. Hoosier Hysteria era).

Muff divin' in the wilkie south!
Spread the legs & open yo' mouth!

Dig it! You can buy all of that shit, by the way.

http://www.slippytown.com/gizmos.htm
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 3:14 am

Don't know what to tell you, DCR... I mean, I understand that true appreciation can not be wholly pinned on a chat board thread, but The Gizmos deserve a lot more love that they got in the last 24 hours on this board.

Amerika First!
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 4:35 am

johnny cougar
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 8:10 am

Prefer the 1st version versus the later version without any of the original members (i.e. Hoosier Hysteria era).

I agree, but the later line up still has some stand out tunes.
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 8:13 am

I saw the Gizmos in 2001? I think is when it was. I used to live in Bloomington and they played this NYE party show. It was a great show.
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 8:43 am

I saw the Gizmos in 2001? I think is when it was. I used to live in Bloomington and they played this NYE party show. It was a great show.

I saw them at Beat Kitchen a few years back with The Coke Dares who were a scream. A fantastic night!
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 11:18 am

The Gizmos deserve a lot more love that they got in the last 24 hours on this board.

thats what i thought too
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 11:22 am

I thought Eddie Flowers was an okay guy until he started selling all the promos I sent him for outrageous prices on his website.
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 11:30 am

wait, why are you getting mad that someone is taking advantage of a capitalist system? i would understand you being upset if he gave them away to single moms on welfare
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 11:31 am

with The Coke Dares who were a scream

I have a friend who's really into them, to the point of releasing some stuff---at some point he gave me a CD of theirs and I thought it was ok, but my tolerance for really short, "funny," punk rock songs is pretty minimal. At his (repeated) urging, I went and saw them play ~6 months ago, and much to my surprise, they were fantastic.

Oh, and Gizmos rule.
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 11:47 am

for ease...eMusic has a fine selection...just sayin...
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 1:28 pm

I like the later stuff a bit better, but it's all GREAT!

Recently just stumbled across the "Real Rock N Roll Don't Come From NY" compilation featuring a lot of live stuff that wasn't on any of their records, including "Heartbeat", later covered by the Romance Novels.
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 4:31 pm

Coke Dares...
I have a friend who's really into them, to the point of releasing some stuf

What's the label? I got a CD & a split 7". Do you know what your friend released?

my tolerance for really short, "funny," punk rock songs is pretty minimal.

Song titles like "I'm Too Busy To Cut My Lines Straight" & "The Guys At Jiffy Lube Were Assholes" are beautiful to me.
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 4:49 pm | Edited by: No Big Thing

What's the label? I got a CD & a split 7". Do you know what your friend released?

"Feelin' Up" on Reibenbach/Essay. I think Essay did all the heavy lifting and Reibenbach's name was put on it due to an existing distro deal...

Don't get me wrong, the song titles are great; you kinda named my favorite: "The Guys At Auto Zone Were Assholes." I'm also partial to "I Wish I Could Get As High As Neil Young Does." However, 30+ songs like that, no matter how short and great they are, just can't hold my attention for an entire record.

Regardless, my one live experience with them was good enough that I'll now show up pretty much any time they hit town. And I love how 2/3 of the band are also in Songs: Ohia/Magnolia Electric Company. Versatility rules.
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 5:37 pm

"The Guys At Auto Zone Were Assholes."

Oh... Thanks.

"I Wish I Could Get As High As Neil Young Does."

Too much!

I love how 2/3 of the band are also in Songs: Ohia/Magnolia Electric Company.

Wow, no kidding. I had no idea.
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 4:16 am

http://black2com.blogspot.com/

scroll down for the latest Gulcher release from young Po' town talent
Posted: Apr 5, 2010 9:10 pm | Edited by: tniemiec

I just signed up here on this very cool Goner board, and noticed this thread as I'm looking around! If you want to hear some of the tunes like
Human Garbage Disposal,
Mean Screen,
Amerika First,
Tie Me Up, and
Bionic Love,
I recently put 'em up on my player at http://www.myspace.com/tniemiec

There are also collaborations with Angel Corpus Christi, Monsterpop, Hey, Alright!, and various Gizmos, as well as links to some of the other Gizmos' sites. It's all subject to change...

Have fun, & play 'em LOUD!
Posted: Apr 5, 2010 11:17 pm

yes!
Posted: Apr 6, 2010 7:33 pm

I appreciate YOU, Ted Niemiec!!!!

ps, Angel Corpus Christi!!!
Posted: Apr 6, 2010 10:44 pm

Is that Gizmos cover album ever gonna actually happen? Nathan from the Yolks had mentioned it to us a LOOOOOONG time ago... we'd still like to be on it!

Duke Tomatoe!
Posted: Apr 6, 2010 11:48 pm

Is that Gizmos cover album ever gonna actually happen? Nathan from the Yolks had mentioned it to us a LOOOOOONG time ago... we'd still like to be on it!

Duke Tomatoe!

Probably. 'Course you can never be sure 'til it happens, but all things considered I wouldn't be surprised if Bob increases activity on it next year, so it would be good to keep in touch with him a couple of times this year.

That song you mentioned is one of many reminders of how frequently we've told people to f off. Doesn't have to be blatant, but you need to have some type of boldness!
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 12:00 am | Edited by: misslinda

Thanks for letting me crash on th3 floor after goner fest
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®