Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Artist/band you own the most releases by...
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 11:47 pm

Miss Strange's comment in The Fall thread got me thinkin'...

Of what artist/band do you own the most releases by? I'm wholly against fetishizing format, so include downloads & cassettes.

Gotta be The Residents for me. I must have 30 LPs or 12"s & at least that many full lengths on CD.

After that, it's gotta go something like

The Fall
Dead Moon
Chrome
The Flaming Lips
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 12:07 am

because of my advanced age as well as the artists, its pretty much a 4-way tie between bob dylan, the beatles & all their solo albums, stones/solo albums and kinks...
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 12:10 am

kinks...

Oh dip! I forgot all about The Kinks! I must have 10-12 full lengths by them...

I hope you do not have the Jagger solo record with Let's Work. You are just monitoring the decline at the point.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 12:19 am

um...

Eddie Harris
Sparks
The Beatles
Roxy Music
The Kinks
The Fall
Super Furry Animals

Eddie Harris easily tops it at around 30; all but two of which are LPs
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 12:37 am

The Clash and Guitar Wolf.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 3:40 am

Elvis
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 6:06 am

Everly brothers
Kinks
Stones.
I have every studio release by each of these and all the early stuff in MONO except Kinks "you really got me"LP. I have more Stones than anything by a mile though. Mostly cause of the bootlegs. When I was a kid my dad had the stereo and mono of every Beatle record and somehow that has purged me from having to have all those things. I only have about five Beatle LPs and one single, "I'm Down".
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 6:16 am

When I was a kid my dad had the stereo and mono of every Beatle record

Wow! Too bad you don't have them, but that, in & of itself, is pretty remarkable.

Did some countin'. Scratch Dead Moon, Chrome, & The Flaming Lips offa my 1st list & replace them with The Stones, Cheater Slicks, & Black Sabbath.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Billy Childish.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 9:04 am

Otis Redding
Billie Holiday
Nina Simone
Louis Armstrong
Ramones
Kinks
Stones
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 9:13 am

no clue.
probably howlin wolf
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 9:33 am

Neil Young
Can/Bowie (when I was a college radio music director, the promo guys sent me the entire Ryko Bowie catalog and the entire Can catalog on Mute. Yeah, I'm bragging and so would you).
Stones
Beatles
Dylan
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 9:39 am

i used to have 21 enoch light lps.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 9:42 am

i have three copies of this!
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 9:50 am

my list would be more like number of songs, not most releases (since so much stuff duplicates other releases)

while by no means complete -- johnny cash & james brown.

lots of bob wills.

at one point, i must have had most/close to all of -- john lee hooker, lightnin' hopkins & sonny terry/brownie mcghee.

oh, and lots of billy childish, with much still left to go.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 10:04 am

probably reatard (no homo)
i got every reatards record and every lost sounds (minus the ssld 7"), the angry angles, nervous patterns, terror visions, and most of the solo records

or maybe its my couch of cash
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 10:24 am

johnny cash & the stones
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 10:39 am

One of the following, probably; Jerry Lee Lewis, Charlie Rich, or The Rolling Stones. If I was to count the complete family tree; it would be either The Velvet Underground or The Saints.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 10:46 am

CCR
JELLY ROLL MORTON
ROBERT JOHNSON
WILLIE NELSON
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 11:09 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Only own more than 4 releases each by:

Automatics
Birthday Party
Blurt
Bone Orchard
Fleetwood Mac
Joy Division
Little Walter
New Order
Neil Young
Pink Floyd
Spider Babies
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 11:12 am

I'll have to get a disc count for #1 when/if I get back home.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 12:05 pm

Ventures. I've got about 30 LPs now. Not a whole lot of crucial stuff on most of them but there's usually a few interesting cuts each time out. It's fun to come across the various themes they've taken on, I've been avoiding looking at a complete discoraphy, making this kind of discovery more enjoyable!
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 12:12 pm | Edited by: michael baker

counting bootlegs/greateszt hits/ box sets (as individual):

over 20
roky
james brown
howlin wolf
iggy
fall
hollies
move/roy wood
emmitt rhodes
ella
beethoven
vu
trane

over 30
neil/buff spring
richard T/fairport
kinks
miles
mozart

over 40

stones
frank sinatra
byrds/gene clark

over 70
dylan
soul collections

over 100
beatles
garage rock comps
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 12:44 pm

i actually just looked

around 20

family
t rex
duke
ornette
count basie
mahler
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 12:56 pm

someone ask hugh jass about his osmonds collection
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 1:05 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

its pretty much a 3 way tie between Lemmy(Motorhead, Hawkwind, rockin Vickers, etc)/Miles Davis/James Brown...about 30 releases from each
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 1:06 pm

The Fall
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 1:12 pm

Billy Childish.
I second this one. I seem to remember counting over 70 singles alone at one point. With LPs it's got to come to 120 or more.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 1:25 pm

I was a college radio music director, the promo guys sent me the entire Ryko Bowie catalog and the entire Can catalog on Mute. Yeah, I'm bragging and so would you).

Shit, yeah... Who wouldn't! I wouldn't even care about the Bowie. I've been listening to Soundtracks non-stop for the last couple of days now.

I posed this question to a friend of Tommy Shenanigan one day & she said that she had over 100 Rod McKuen LPs. Blew my mind.

I counted up all the CDs & LPs I had one day & figured out that if I listened to some combination of 4 CDs & 4 LPs everyday for the rest of my life, I'd only listen to my collection 5 times all the way through, reasonably, over the course of the rest of my life. This hasn't stopped my from obtaining more records.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 1:31 pm

Ska, rocksteady, and reggae, mostly on LPs, 45s, and CDs. Which means the number one band is probably the Skatalites and their various offshoots.

Sun Ra is right up there, too.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 1:56 pm

Kinks
Ramones
Sparks
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 2:01 pm

kinks, waylon jennings, miles... at one point i had over about 20 miles' bootlegs but sold most of them on ebay.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 3:29 pm

Sun Ra by far.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 4:20 pm

Elvis
Motown
Soul comps
Garage comps
Miles
Coltrane
Sun Ra
Charlie Parker
Sonic/MC5
Iggy/Stooges
Marley/Wailers
Camaron
Youssou N'dour
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 4:33 pm

I forgot about all the country vinyl I inherited. It was the greatest day of 2007.

The old dude across the street died about a year ago. His daughters gave all his vinyl to the lesbians next door. They then called some dude who buys vinyl. Thankfully, I cherry-picked about 3 mail crates full of country music before the vinyl buyer showed up. I gave the lesbians $30. I must have about a dozen records by Merle Haggard, George Jones, Dolly Parton, and Bob Wills. I probably have a 1/2 dozen records by Doc Watson, David Allen Coe, John Prine, Waylon Jennings, Hank, and a shitload of various bluegrass and cajun music. I'm still discovering new records. Yes, I'm bragging again. Sorry. The beauty of the story was that I called in sick at my old job for no good reason. Had I not done so, the vinyl buyer dude woulda picked those lesbians clean.

I think the dead guy woulda wanted me to have the records. I think he liked me good enough.
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 8:32 am

Ramones
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 8:56 am

got quite a bit of older country from my grandpa. bob willis willie nelson and the norm. he hooked me up with all the herb albert and the tijuana brass band one could ever need! haha
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 9:19 am

Ramones
Buzzcocks
something like 25 MOTO records
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 9:21 am

guided by voices (though by no means even close to a complete collection)
neil young (love that practically any LP can be found for $1 to $3)

I got about 200 LPs from a gf's coworker's dad. probably nothing rare, but a fairly decent pile of Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Tex Ritter, Hank Snow etc. probably around 60 or 70 of those, plus the ubiquitous old-person stuff like 101 Strings, Polka records, etc.
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 3:26 pm

stones
dylan
elvis
james brown
kinks
otis redding
beatles
johnny cash
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 3:49 pm

Cowsills
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 3:51 pm

Cowsills

i didn't see you when susan was up for the folk alliance thing
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 4:43 pm

I have a big LP box of Beatles LPs (shit tons) and a 45-box or more full of the 45s w/ the sleeve.
so its probably them.

I have a lot of Byrds Byrds-related stuff too, but not as much as Beatles.
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 8:19 pm

Jerry Lee Lewis - 39 records, that includes the 12 LP Sun box, but no 45\\\'s or cd\\\'s, or dvd\\\'s/videos, or books, or gig posters, the \\\'Killer \\\' would be ahead in those categories too. Bo Diddley is the only single artist even close.
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 9:08 pm

That's a personal question.
Posted: Mar 20, 2009 2:51 pm

Cowsills

i didn't see you when susan was up for the folk alliance thing

Unfortunately I had to cover for Joel that weekend. No big deal, I'm only head of their fan club and myspace/facebook pages. Who wants to get Twittered by Susan Cowsill?!?

P.S. Bruce- Knowing who Susan Cowsill is, isn't very grunge of you. You better wear an extra layer of flannel for the next few days.
Posted: Mar 20, 2009 2:59 pm

yeah, but who's house do you think she stayed at?

my shacket is still on
Posted: Mar 20, 2009 3:04 pm

i actually sent her hi-tone for pizza one of the nights
Posted: Mar 20, 2009 3:07 pm

Charlie Rich, for sure.

Gene Vincent might be a close second.

Haggard, too!
Posted: Mar 20, 2009 5:10 pm

roger miler
Posted: Mar 22, 2009 8:07 am

JJ Cale
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®