Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Fall appreciation thread
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 3:18 am

Mark E. Smith is somewhere drunker than 10 men. Even a bad Fall album is listenable. Hex Induction Hour, Perverted By Language, & The Nation's Saving Grace fukkin' rule! Everything up to '85 is pretty critical.

Too many albums to count.

Most Peel sessions & Peel's favorite band.

What are you waitin' on!?!

Give it the hell up for The Fall!
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 5:02 am

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAEY
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 6:55 am

A fellow Fall fan burned whatever album they made in 2003 and while it is nothing compared to the first 10 or so records, I could not believe how listenable they made what was basically a half ass attempt at some French electronica.
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 7:12 am

bend sinister...L.A., L.A., L.A..............

kicker..kicker conspiracy
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 7:23 am

You should see my new house! seriously, my new house is awesome.
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 10:43 am

i saw them play at christine's office in new york a few years ago. it was pretty bitchin.
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 1:23 pm

"hit em in the head, with a 2X4"

This Nations Saving Grace was their best record but Wonderful and Frightening World of... is still my favorite.
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 1:26 pm

TOTALLY WIRED!
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 1:31 pm

This Nations Saving Grace was their best record but Wonderful and Frightening World of... is still my favorite.

agreed
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 2:04 pm

dude is untouchable.

I even like that gay dance thing he did w/ Mouse on MArs a couple years ago Von Sudenfed:

i said, you don't look like no goddamn singer-songwriter to me

..walked up two flats. Two FLATS!
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 2:11 pm

er *flights*/
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 4:37 pm

I used to have this thing about LINK Wray/Used to play him every Saturday/God bless Saturday
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 4:43 pm

agreed on how surprisingly good their bad records are! TELEPHONE THING!
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 4:44 pm

i really love when the leaves change color, especially in the mountains
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 6:29 pm

Only seen 'em once, in '98; memorable:

"I've been assaulted in public by two people. Or three people."
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 7:08 pm

bend sinister

awesome... Mr Pharmasist! Dragnet too...
shit I prpbably have mre fall records than any other artist, cept for maybe tom waits & nick cave's assorted bands.
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 9:38 pm

Perverted by Language and Live at the Witch Trials are my faves.
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 9:39 pm

And most of Slates!!!!
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 12:32 am

The motherfuckin' Fall, I think y'all meant to say; even a not-so-hot Fall record will still be interesting at least. That said, I really didn't like their take on "I Can Hear The Grass Grow," or at least on the record. Saw them play three times- whatever constitutes them at this point- and they were a fuckin' blast. Also met Elena at a spoken word thing MES and she got him to sign my book; her opening line when she saw me holding it was "That book is crap, you know..."
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 9:19 am

Posted: Feb 20, 2011 12:46 am | Edited by: Cole

Just got The Fall-Grotesque and I'm really into it. I'm going to pick up some more stuff from this band. It's amazing that a band I'd never heard of and bought on a whim has 28 albums out.
Posted: Feb 20, 2011 5:07 am

The only band that matters
Posted: Feb 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Been listening to this all day. LOVE it. It really fills in the blanks on alot of music that I've been listening to the past few years. I'm going to buy the other two, I plan on going to the instore next Saturday, so maybe I can pick them up then.
Posted: Feb 20, 2011 9:58 pm

thanks hoppe, got dragnet and grotesque on the ipod today
Posted: Feb 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Shopper Advisory: the Peel Sessions 6 cd box is worth selling children for.
Posted: Feb 22, 2011 3:10 pm

hell - last year's "Your Future Our Clutter" does not disappoint
Posted: Nov 8, 2012 8:47 am

I mostly buy buy new vinyl and discovered a lot of this awesome music later in life, but I work my way back as well. There's a few discoveries that I've become rabid about....Roky, Scientist, Grave and KBD comps....and The Fall. I'm listening to Witch Trials right now and I had to revive this thread. I fucking love this band.
Posted: Nov 8, 2012 10:02 am

I don't listen to The Fall all that often, but when I do it's ALL DAY.
Posted: Nov 8, 2012 8:23 pm

I love The Fall. After The Residents, they could very well be the band from which I have the most full lengths LPs or CDs.

Either Byron Coley or Thurston Moore say in the Roky Erickson doc that Roky's one of the rare artists that's put out something good in every decade that artist has been recording. Whereas I would be that's true, I honestly don't know his 90s stuff nor stuff from earlier this century to say one way or the other. I would totally say that about Mark E. Smith, although I don't know Your Future Our Clutter & Ersatz GB in the least bit. Fall Heads Roll from 2005 is great, though.

Great thread, by the way.
Posted: Nov 8, 2012 8:35 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®