Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / House rental question
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 11:24 am

Yo goner dudes. I bet Theresa knows a thing or two about this. Here it goes: January of 08 we started renting this big house. The house was owned by one company but managed through another. Eventually the house was sold to a different company and the management company was still managing. Then for some reason (unknown to us) the new owner switched management companies. Come Jan 09 we signed another year long lease. Well, I just got a call yesterday from the new management saying that the company went bankrupt and the house is up for sale. He says it could end up being an individual who will buy the house and want us out or that a new company may buy it and continue to rent it to us.

My question is, how does our current lease agreement hold up and if a new buyer takes ownership, what rights do they have to kick us out before the lease is up?

Also, he wants to do a walk through with a potential buyer this Sunday and said it would be better if nobody was home when they were there. I don't understand why this would be an issue. I told him someone will be home as we have a lot of possessions and would want someone watching over them. He said okay but to be discreet about it. Why would they want this?

I've been considering buying a home when this lease is up anyways, but if we had to leave before Jan of 2010, it would just make it harder for me to get to that point.

So, what right do we have to stay in the home until the lease is up?
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 11:26 am

Just pull a WACO, TX on that ass
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 11:28 am

What state are you in?

http://www.rentlaw.com/statelist.htm

I'd also call a landlord/tenant atty in your area for a referral for more information.
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 11:29 am

Wisconsin
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 11:37 am

Is this management company in Memphis?
I have some friends who own properties and do management. I am sure I can ask them for you. let a brother know.
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 11:38 am

Dude, I live in Wisconsin. The management company is also in Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 12:08 pm

buy the house. problem solved
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 12:09 pm

buy the house. problem solved

Totally entertaining and fun thread. Would read again.

JACK!!!!!!!

ROBIN!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 12:16 pm

you're fucked...

you will get paid if they want you out...you usually get 2 weeks to move if the house is being forclosed and sold at auction.

I hope who ever buys it will want to use the house for an investment
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 12:16 pm

JOSH!!!!
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 12:17 pm | Edited by: spazZ

you will get paid if

Dive in! (one of those words looks awesome)
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®