Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / What is the greatest thing hawkwind ever accomplished?
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 9:05 pm

Quantum Mechanics? Trips to the moon? Fermenting?

Sheboygan!
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 9:05 pm

blowin our fuckin minds. end of thread.
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 9:40 pm

best albums, worst covers.

BRILLIANT
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 9:59 pm

best albums, worst covers.

that's the opposite of my whole collection!
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 12:01 am

The version of "Master of the Universe" on Space Ritual. Best continous space-punk song ever.
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 7:29 am

The version of "Master of the Universe" on Space Ritual.

All of Space Ritual is pretty much a work of art. Dorei... is landmark, too.
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 7:45 am

kicking out lemmy so he could start motorhead
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 8:18 am

Gettin' me high.
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 9:12 am

uh, Stacia?
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 10:07 am

Space Ritual has the best cover ever. Except for maybe the Wicked Witch album. Stacia was hot. I wonder whatever happened to her?
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 10:09 am

retiring
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 10:32 am

getting that wizard to blow his horn on the warrior at the edge of time album.
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 10:48 am

What is Space Ritual-Sundown Vol. 2? Is it from the same time as the original Space Ritual or a re-make or something?
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 3:12 pm

Don't know if this qualifies as Sundown, but I found this...

Space Ritual Volume 2 is an archive live album by Hawkwind released in 1985 consisting of a live performance from 1972. The tapes were licensed by Dave Brock to former Hawkwind bass player Dave Anderson for release.
This recording is part of the performance that was processed for disc 2 of Space Ritual. Here it is in its original state, with no edits or overdubs, notable differences being a different middle section to "Orgone Accumulator", "Paranoia" included as the middle section of "Time We Left This World Today" and "Wind Of Change" leading into "7 By 7". "Space Is Deep" and "You Shouldn't Do That" / "Seeing It As You Really Are" from this tape were released on Hawkwind Anthology.
"Electronic No. 1" [listed as "Space"] (Dettmar/Dik Mik) " 2:15
"Orgone Accumulator" (Calvert/Brock) " 8:45
"Upside Down" (Brock) " 2:45
"Sonic Attack" (Moorcock) " 2:50
"Time We Left This World Today" (Brock) / "Paranoia" [unlisted] (Brock) " 13:20
"10 Seconds Of Forever" (Calvert) " 2:10
"Brainstorm" (Turner) " 12:00
"Wind Of Change" [unlisted] (Brock)
"7 By 7" (Brock) " 8:50
"Master of the Universe" (Turner/Brock) " 7:40
"Welcome to the Future" (Calvert) " 2:55

I also have a 4 CD box called Welcome To The Future. It has a CD called Space Ritual Vol. 2, but the track "Wind Of Change" from the above tracklist is not on it.
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 4:18 pm

I found out it was from the same tour as Space Ritual. Just ordered double lp's for the store. Woohoo!
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 4:36 pm

Stacia was hot. I wonder whatever happened to her?

You'll likely find out in this documentary that came out last year:

Part 1/9
Part 2/9
Part 3/9
Part 4/9
Part 5/9
Part 6/9
Part 7/9
Part 8/9
Part 9/9

Unfortunately, Dave Brock asked for his interview segments to be pulled out due to a dispute with Nik Turner, which you can read all about here on Michael Moorcock's website
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 4:41 pm

WOW! Hawkwind joke thread pays!

Glad I asked, thanks!
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 5:38 pm

And due to an unfortunate accident that has temporarily sidelined Nik Turner, you still have a chance to make it to London to see the Hawklords perform Space Ritual '09 with special guests Amon Duul II. Originally scheduled for this weekend at the Roundhouse, the show is rescheduled for June 7th.

Various info:
http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/productions/the-space-ritual-200 9-2925
http://www.hawklords.com/
http://www.nikturner.com/
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 3:20 am

totally fab man, totally.
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 3:21 am

Sheboygan!
Puke city USA.
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 3:31 am

"drop acid and go and play, with strobe lights"
I wonder if The Stags would do that?
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 10:15 am

Just watched that Hawkwind doc last week. Anyone have Robert Calvert's Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters LP? After listening to anecdotes about the guy's loose cannon living, I need to hear this.
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 10:41 am

Just watched that Hawkwind doc last week. Anyone have Robert Calvert's Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters LP?

Essential purchase, if you're into Hawkwind. Yes, it's a concept record with skits that carry the story between songs. But it's also got a handful of songs with killer riffs; Widowmaker, Ejection, and The Right Stuff (saw Ron Asheton claim this for himself once with Destroy All Monsters)
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 2:06 pm

Captain Lockhead and the Starfighters rules! Calvert's album after that Lucky Leif and Longships is pretty good, too (in a more subdued Eno-prog-pop kinda way). Yeah, essential for any Hawkfan...
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 5:33 pm

Anyone have Robert Calvert's Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters LP?

Yes. If'n you want a CD-R, drop me a line @ genemullett@hotmail.com. I have about 10 CD-Rs to make this weekend, so one more is no problem.
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 8:27 pm

might be Dik Mik working out the frequency he needed to hit in order to make the audience shit themselves; I don't love Hawkwind quite that much though
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 8:50 pm

there goes friday night.
...wait a second, dude left hawkwind to join a gypsy caravan???
even quitting hawkwind is awesome.
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 8:51 pm

and then he was replaced by hugh lloyd langton? that's almost as awesome a name as hawkwind.
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 2:13 am

uh, Stacia?

Most definitely!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®