Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Best Peel Session...
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 2:34 am | Edited by: Mullett

I frankly don't have an answer to this.

The Loop ones that formed the LP Wolf Flow are great. The original Echo & The Bunnymen one is actually great. I've heard that the Hendrix session & the Thin Lizzy session are wildly great.

Would love to hear the A.C. Temple session if anyone has it.

What say you?

edit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Peel_sessions
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 5:48 am

i like that trumans water session that kicks off with a bagpipe
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 6:21 am

the fall

amazing
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 7:23 am

the fall

amazing

Which one? There's 20+ of them!
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 7:56 am

Posted: Mar 2, 2009 7:59 am

stiff little fingers!!!!!
the damned!!!!!!!!!!
the slits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the joy division peel sessions is waaaaaaaay better than their studio shit. transmission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 8:19 am

I think (maybe) the only thing I actually own is the Mummies promo 45, which is pretty decent, if I remember right. Been a while since I played it.
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 9:36 am

bolt thrower.

the end.
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 10:47 am

Was lucky enough to get to do a Peel Session in '92 at the end of our first UK Tour (headlined The Camden Palace the night before). Buffin from Mott The Hoople produced it in the same studio Bing Crosby and David Bowie recorded Little Drummer Boy (there was a plaque). Michelle Shocked was recording across the hall. 3 days later we were back in NYC opening for The Ramones at Columbia University.
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 10:55 am

this is:

Posted: Mar 2, 2009 12:33 pm

Gang of 4
Extreme Noise Terror
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 2:57 pm | Edited by: AZKyle

I like the Undertones and the Damned.
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 3:37 pm

thin lizzys rulez
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 3:47 pm

Something like 2,000 performers and 4,000 sessions. I'm sure there's some amazing stuff in there. Check out the list.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 3:56 pm

On our second UK tour we were riding back from a gig one night and John Peel spent 15 minutes of his show giving out all the dates on our tour and playing a few songs. He even pondered whatever happened to my first record label. He did a lot to help musicians out. And he knew about everything going on from the top to the bottom of the music scene.
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 3:58 pm

never got to do a peel session, but was pleased to see one of my bands on his playlists a few times...just honored he played us on his show...

I did an all Peel Sessions show on WEVL a few months back...my faves are the T Rex(10 minute elemental child!), Can, Syd Barrett, The Damned and AC/DC (the super long version of Soul Stripper is trance-like, like a boogie version of Spacemen 3!)...gotta agree that the Joy Divison one(s) smokes their actual albums, so raw...
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 6:25 pm

wire, slits... lots of goodies!
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 6:40 pm

two of my fave UK bamds lit it up there too

The Move
Family

and i love peel's and stewart's banter on small faces performances

the JD and Can ones are great, yes

i was playing thin lizzy just this week; found the first two to be slightly damned by time...
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 7:08 pm

I rove the Naparm Death, Doom and the Adverts one very much.
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 7:22 pm

I really like the Undertones one, snappier sounding than the studio stuff, a lil' less syrup. Peel was awesome, always played stuff I sent and often commented back if he really liked it.
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 12:03 pm

the Undertones one

That was the only Undertones album I had for years and years, dissapointed when I finally got the s/t.
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 12:24 pm

I really like the Undertones one, snappier sounding than the studio stuff, a lil' less syrup.

The version of "What's With Terry" slays the one on Hypnotised.

Also used to have a copy of the SLF one. That was good too.
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 6:40 pm

The Buzzcocks Peel Sessions album was the only thing I had by them for years. The Damned sessions were also great but a gotta say Napalm Death's sessions were so much better than either of their first two albums that it pretty much renders them obsolete whereas I still like the regular studio recordings of all the other bands I'm familiar who's Peel Sessions I've also heard.

-Ryan
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 12:41 pm

Yeah that Undertones is the only thing you really need to own by them. I hesitantly admit this but I also really like the New Order one, way better than any of their studio stuff.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®