Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / trying to quit smoking
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 5:29 pm

21 hours without smoking and I'm ready to kill a mother fucker!

the drive home is gonna be fun.

any goners get off the smokes?
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 5:34 pm

Thinking 'bout it.
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 5:41 pm

there's another huge thread about this somewhere on the board.

I can barely breathe...guess it's time I start thinking about it too.
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 5:42 pm

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 5:44 pm

Man up. What are you, a baby who needs his bottle? Do you need to have your diaper changed too? Sheesh!
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 6:44 am

try some hypnothearapy
down at the colon cleaning joint.
I knew a skinny little
Figian with a bad temper.
He went cold turkey on cigs.
Then again, he wouldn't wear
his false teeth.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 7:09 am

I quit cold turkey about 3 1/2 years ago. Having a physical activity to do that I wanted to do more than smoke (for me it was cycling) helped with motivation and also with burning off the stress and homocidal urges.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 7:12 am

My personal record was four days. It was a little easier since I took time off from work. I figured it was better if I was around as few people as possible.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 7:20 am

I quit a few days ago, cold turkey. Biking now, like Miss Faye said.

No advice, other than when you want to smoke, think/do something else.

Good luck, Gore. Miss you, dude.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 9:24 am

I quit a few days ago, cold turkey. Biking now, like Miss Faye said.

Damn Robin! Tammy too? Good job/good luck!
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 10:07 am

i quit 6months ago. It does get easier. Good Luck
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 10:15 am

I quit just about ten years ago, after smoking from about age 13. Don't make my mistake and substitute sugar for nicotine. That's even harder to kick. Gum helps.

All I can say is that - if you can make it past the first few weeks, you can stay quit for good.

I had to quit going to shows for the first few weeks (that was when you could smoke in bars) to stay away from temptation.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 10:28 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I'd quit around mid January, but then bought a pack the other day when I was all stressed out. Only smoked two out of it. Anyone wanna buy 18 Camel Filters?

I've been riding bikes and smoking for all of my adult life, so that angle doesn't work for me. Being a shut-in helps, though.

I noticed Anthony Bourdain said he'd been off the smokes for dang near a year when he shot the Egypt show.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 11:28 am

38 hours...still no cigs...no one dead yet.

it's getting easier.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 11:34 am

I've been riding bikes and smoking for all of my adult life, so that angle doesn't work for me.

wait a few years. that practice caught up to me a couple years ago. it was either/or for me which was such a pathetic choice it made it easier to quit.

anyways, the first four or five days are the hardest. over time, the urge seems to have left entirely.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 11:55 am

wait a few years.

Huh? I damn near 41. One foot in the grave, as it were. But I know what ya mean.

I must've quit for a week or two about 10 times last year. I'm still gonna call Jan. 15th my quit date even though I had two cigs Friday night.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 7:48 pm

Just quit again mid-january, too. Quit once for four years, but I still wanna kill a motherfucker. I'm not drinking right now, either, which is contributing. Don't wanna go to shows, don't wanna go anywhere. Fuck a cigarette in the eye. I got this gay trampoline and started "rebounding" whatever that means. It's not helping. I don't even know why I'm posting on this thread. I have no advice. Good luck, gore and jack and SS!
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 9:14 pm

i quit 2 thanksgivings ago for good! cigarettes make me cough like crazy and get sick now. but weeds ok tho. its one of the smartest things i done, and it ain't so bad if you stay focused on quittin.

good luck!
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 9:45 am

I woke up today with aching lungs...if this keeps up I'm going back to smoking.

Fuck a cigarette in the eye

I'm gonna have to agree with this statement
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 10:38 am

yeah i quit back when the last epic quitting smoking thread went down -- i did a little back-sliding and reverted to smoking 5 or 6 cigarettes a day - anyways i quit for good last friday - so this is day #6

whatever, the cigarettes weren't doing anything for me - i gotta start smoking weed again, that's where its at
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 11:57 am

I have a smokers cough and I don't even smoke ciggarettes....just massive amounts of pot and 1 or 2 cigars when I drink. I think the answer to every ones problems is snuff, not chewing tobacco, snuff like the fancy lads had back in ancient French times.
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 1:29 pm

WARNING: The doctor says it's good if you and your partner try to quit together for support. Do not believe the doctor. The two out of control lunatics is better than one argument should be left in the doctor learning book!
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 1:30 pm

i love smoking!

i'm an asshole!
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 1:49 am

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 2:07 am

I have a friend who kicked cocaine, but can't quit tobacco.

I feel for you, gore. All the best!
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 5:56 pm | Edited by: gore

I love smoking too...I have a show tonight...we'll see how that goes...maybe I just need to talk about my feelings
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 7:09 pm

I smoked for over 10 years, but I've quit for about 4 years.

but you probably won't quit!!!

I rule!

no but seriously, cut down VERY slowly, that is the only way.
Over a period of 4-5 months.
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 11:05 pm

or 4-5 years
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 1:39 am

I have a friend who has quit cigarettes but not marijuana cigarettes.
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 7:08 am

While I don't personally partake, I firmly believe resinating your lungs is not nearly as harmful.

Robin
--call Jerry. He's back on the bike. Me--it'll be end of March/April. Once the threat of chilly breezes passes.
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 7:11 am

WARNING: The doctor says it's good if you and your partner try to quit together for support. Do not believe the doctor. The two out of control lunatics is better than one argument should be left in the doctor learning book!

Yeah, I was still married when I quit smoking, but he continued to smoke, just not so much in the house. I didn't go through the freak outs though. That's where the bike came in.

Good luck Robin and gore!
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 11:44 am

Gore,
Hey Man. You may not want to take my advice on this. But, the ultimatum of "I'll never smoke a cigarette ever again" is a hard thing for me to deal with. I can go days without smoking if I tell myself that eventually I will have one and that's how I have managed to cut down to being a weekend warrior with the cigs. However, the trick is to eventually fool yourself into thinking you will have a cigarette and then actually making a conscious choice that you don't want one. And now, I am like an every other weekend smoker. But, ysome are the type that need to quit cold turkey becaise if they're gonna smoke, they're gonna go full time. If that is you, then please disregard everything I said. Good Luck Man.
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 1:13 pm

I was starting to get that junkie scratching thing...so I think i will try to ease off cold turkey is only good on sammiches.

thanks for the great advice y'all.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®