Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / TORONTO: record stores?
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 9:22 am

i'll be down in toronto this sat. & sun.

what are the record stores i should check out?????

i would especially like to know what place has the best selection of BLUES vinyl
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 11:55 am

CANADA: eh?
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 1:22 pm

I already had this list compiled in an email for a friend that was coming to Toronto a while back.

Hits and Misses
860 Bloor Street West
(416) 535-7817

Frantic City
123 Ossington Avenue
(416)533-9138

Kopps Records
229 Queen St W.
(416 ) 593-8523

Rotate This
801 Queen St. W.
(416) 504-8447

Hits and Misses is probably my favorite, but it's mostly punk rock stuff. If you go there you should give him some Suppositories LPs.

Kopps which also has a store called Vintage Sounds above it, is almost all 45s. Tons of killer soul/ R&B. Upstairs is more of the same plus a lot more garage, teen rock, punk....etc.

As far as blues goes, I am not really a good person to talk to. Don't know much outside of a few comps that I have and some obvious like Howlin Wolf, Muddy waters, JL Hooker and the likes.

There are a handful of record stores that I did not list, but these are my favorites. If nobody else chimes in to help out on blues records, I am sure the guy in Vintage Sounds (above Kopps) could point you in the right direction.
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 1:29 pm

uhmm, just sent some ecsr records to someone further down queen st, i guess that's the strip(?)
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 1:31 pm

Also Frantic City has a good slection of books as well and is not far from Hits and Misses. Nicer weather I would say waling distance, but this cold, I'd probably take the bus.

Rotate has been around forever, so I am told, but I rarely go there. They have some stuff, but I have never really scored anything worth bragging about there. New ITR, Sundazed, small used section, could get lucky there, little to no blues unless it is some 180 gram reissue type thing.
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 1:36 pm

uhmm, just sent some ecsr records to someone further down queen st, i guess that's the strip(?)

Maybe it was Rotate? I don't know the strip? But I also don't know where a lot of things in this city are located.
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 3:13 pm

also Ric's Collectables, on 155 Main St. just south of Gerrard, it's in the east end but easy subway/street car or Go Train ride, 416 690-6399, plus if you take the street car out you can stop in Little India for some great Indian food on the way back
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 5:12 pm

did Sam's Record Store in Toronto close down? The one with the HUGE records lit up on the front of the building.
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 6:13 pm

Here are some suggestions that people gave me when I asked
I've been to Noise Annoys, Rotate This, Neurotica and Sonic Boom. The best were Noise Annoys and Rotate This, I don't think I bought anything at the other stores. I also don't remember seeing any great collection of Blues at any of them. Noise Annoys was the smallest place but it had some garagepunk records by bands like Teengenerate and a big collection of MRR zines.
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 8:21 pm

Noise Annoys and Lost & Found are gone. Don't go looking for em.
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 10:10 pm

Oh snap!
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 9:57 am

Ric's Collectables is a good store. I have got some good stuff there. I hardly go, cause it is so far away. It is very far on the east end of the city.
Plus as for the unpriced 45s..... if Ric himself is not working you have to have the store clerk call Ric and get you the prices of each 45. Last time I went, me, my girlfriend, and 2 friends, we were in the check out for close to 2 hours. But I was arguing about some of the prices and trying to talk him down.
Plus the 45 boxes are a pain to look through. One 45 will be Bo Diddley and the next will be Led Zepplin. And there are a lot of boxes. But if you got the time to look for a few hours, I am sure you will walk out with some good stuff.
LPs are slightly over priced in my opinion and all used. It may be a good spot to look for some blues records.

Sonic Boom is way over priced, I think. I never go there. Although I did once find two Drags LPs and a Teengenerate "Smash Hits" used for about 5 each. That was a few years ago and have not found anything since. Great selection of VHS tapes though.
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 10:02 am

"Around Again" on Baldwin St. (a few blocks north of the Art Gallery of Ontario) is small, but has nice records. They have a respectable assortment of "Blues" records that occupy two or three bins. Timing would be everything as choice pieces probably never make it past "New Arrivals".
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 8:16 am

cool, thanks for all the info. doubt i'll even have much time to check out too many unfortunately...Rotate This sounds close to where i'll be though, ill hit that up for sure.

my band (suppositories) is playing a FREE show tonight at the Bovine Sex Club...come on down if you can
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 10:50 am

my band (suppositories) is playing a FREE show tonight at the Bovine Sex Club...come on down if you can

Damn, wish I would have seen this yesterday. I did nothing at all last night. Watched a movie and drank at home.

We're playing with Ian's band (WW) on Feb 7th. He is supposed to bring me one of your LPs.
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 8:58 am

the show went well, we had a blast. though i think we were a bit too "out there" for most of the crowd.

we have some record at Rotate This and Hits and Misses....the only two stores we managed to get too.

i bought a bunch of cool shit, didn't see much blues though. hits and misses had some fucking great shit!

see you on the 7th!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®