Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / SF Bay Area
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 4:34 pm

Going there thursday coming back sunday. Haven't been there since I was young. Any extremely wonderful not to be missed things in general or anything fun happening this weekend?
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 4:42 pm

Specs in the North Beach area is a cool bar. Its tucked away in a lil alley not too far away from an amazing Pakistani resturaunt called 'Naan and Curry'. If ya do the Alcatraz thing, do the last tour of the day; it's the only tour where they slam all the cell doors shut and THAT is worth the whole ticket price. The Winchester Mystery Mansion is CRAZY, but a bit out of the city. Haight /Ashbury for the records and vintage shops. That's about all I got. HAVE FUN!!
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 5:03 pm

Dang, yer gonna miss the Jay Reatard, Nobunny, Bare Wires show on Sunday. Go to Taqueria Cancun in the Mission.
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 5:57 pm

ooooooooh where is andy? he'd be able to give ya the lowdown on good eatin' around there.
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 6:10 pm

I've said it before - Shalimar, 532 Jones just off O'Farrell. Not much ambience, but Indian/Pakistani food to die for. Cheap, too.
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 6:12 pm

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 6:13 pm

You could also stop by Streetlight Records, 3979 24th St. in Noe Valley. That location is closing on 1/31 and they're having a liquidation sale. It's a nice walking street, too.
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 6:13 pm

Go to Taqueria Cancun in the Mission

Yes. And a few blocks south of there is a place Zante's, where they make INDIAN PIZZA! It rules. Also in the mission is a place called something like "Bombay Creamery" that makes crazy good ice cream flavors. For more Indian, in the Castro, on 18th and Noe, is a place called Kasa that makes Indian burritos- 2 for 9 bucks. Incredible!
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 6:27 pm

Eat an It's It.
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 9:27 pm

Sarah I haven't been to Alcatraz. Do you wanna go? I think we might have to get tickets way in advance.
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 10:04 pm

Zante's, where they make INDIAN PIZZA!
yeah...right across the street from that is a killer indian joint, spicy bite I think.....same owners...don't forget el Farolito on 24th...the Quesadilla Suiza is a drunkards dream....Balompie @ 18th and Capp...killer salvadorian..fantastic breakfasts...Tu Lan..awesome vietnamese on 6th just south of market...so many good ones....
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 11:07 pm

Eat an It's It.

i love those. you can get them all over california, by the way

for a lark, go to 666 filbert street.
its a catholic church
saints peter and paul.

mama's the fabulous breakfast place is around the corner. you can see coit tower from the park across the street from teh 666 church
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 11:10 pm

Eat an It's It.

is that a burger place? if it is what i think it is, they have one in santa barbara too, and it's good.
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 11:22 pm

is that a burger place?

Ice-cream oatmeal cookie sandwich...my steady after school treat!
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 1:09 am

Also on the ice cream tip, I highly recommend St. Francis Fountain on 24th St. in the Mission. You CANNOT DENY their milkshakes (and most of their other food too).

The Mechanical Museum is a great place to spend a couple hours, if you feel like going down to Fisherman's Wharf: http://www.museemechanique.org/
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 7:43 am

haven't been to Alcatraz. Do you wanna go?
Yeah, why not. Can we see sea lions on the trip there? Thanks for all the tips, everyone! I plan to eat all the tacos in town (meant like a glutton not a lesbo.)
The Mechanical Museum looks creepy and awesome
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 11:30 am

Eat an It's It.

is that a burger place? if it is what i think it is, they have one in santa barbara too, and it's good.

maybe thinking of In and Out Burger.

The sea lions are out by the piers where you take the tours.

You could also stop by Streetlight Records, 3979 24th St. in Noe Valley. That location is closing on 1/31 and they're having a liquidation sale. It's a nice walking street, too

soooo jealous
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 11:35 am

Noir Fest! Castro Theater! Starts Thursday!

http://www.noircity.com/
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 12:08 pm

Also on the ice cream tip

Check out Bi-Rite Creamery too. It's on 18th (I think) just west of Valencia. I think Andy wrote about it in his Inhuman Eating Machine... They have a killer salted caramel ice cream.
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 12:52 pm | Edited by: Alexfast

I am roadtripping to SF feb 7th to feb 13

I grew up in the city- buts its been years- recently told these are good?-

Thai Stick (tenderloin near fillmore)
Jay's Cheesesteaks (21st/Valencia-mission)
Brandy Ho's Hunan (217 Columbus)
Tommy's Joint (Van ness)
Dottis Tru Blue Cafe (union SQ)
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 1:01 pm

On the tourista sights- these are on the radar

Beat museum (for all your Kerouac)
Wax Museum (Fishermans wharf)
Cali Academy of sciences (just reopened underground in Golden gate-
killer seum
Exploratorium
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 2:06 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

Check out Bi-Rite Creamery too. It's on 18th (I think) just west of Valencia. I think Andy wrote about it in his Inhuman Eating Machine... They have a killer salted caramel ice cream.
YES to Bi-Rite!!! More places to eat here, ice cream and otherwise:
http://inhumaneatingmachine.blogspot.com/

Also, I highly recommend the following places I've not covered in the blog:
Cordon Bleu (California @ Polk in SF)- It's Vietnamese, but not like any other Viet place. All they have is 5 Spice Chicken, rice with meatsauce, imperial rolls (nothing but seasoned meat deep fried in a wrapper), country salad (kind of like mayo-less cole slaw), and something they call shish kebab, which sort of looks like a Steakum, but tastes like God's vagina. Everything is great. Probably my single favorite place to eat in SF.

Torta Boos Voni (Mission @ Geneva in SF)- Best tortas in the Bay Area. They're huge, delicious, and they make their own rolls, which are the best ever. I recommend the Cubana.

My blog has a bunch of stuff about Oakland tacos, but if you don't go over there, I recommend the al pastor tacos at El Castillito across the street from the gay Safeway on Church St.

I can't recommend the It's It too highly. Best ice cream sandwich ever. You can get them in most Bay Area convenience stores. You guys are bastards for even mentioning it. There's a vending machine downstairs with 3 flavors of It's It. There goes my diet.
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 2:12 pm

I don't really care too much about anything other than food, but I would advise a trip to Ocean Beach. Take a picnic. It's definitely not a swimming beach and it'll probably be cold and windy when you're there, but it's a huge beach and a great place to hang out and watch the ocean. Take the N-Judah train to the end of the line, cross the Great Highway, and you're there. There's even a public bathroom out there, which are VERY scarce in SF.
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 2:24 pm

warehouse cafe, across golden gate in porta costa. bizarre but beautiful place. iliked the lobster and steak there. they have tons of beer on tap. oh, and a stuffed polar bear. http://www.yelp.com/biz/warehouse-cafe-port-costa

somewhere on the drive between sf and there i found this roadside cafe that served the best oysters rockefeller i've ever had in my life. but, i can't remember where i was, sorry. :(
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 2:41 pm

warehouse cafe, across golden gate in porta costa. bizarre but beautiful place. iliked the lobster and steak there. they have tons of beer on tap. oh, and a stuffed polar bear. http://www.yelp.com/biz/warehouse-cafe-port-costa
That place is actually in the East Bay right by the Carquinez Bridge (not Golden Gate), but it is a really rad place. Used to be a whorehouse.
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 5:04 pm

Used to be a whorehouse.

i always heard that. huh, crazy. it is a huge ass place. it is worth the trip.
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Don't forget to wear flowers in your hair you goddamn hippie.
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 6:52 pm

warehouse cafe
It's Port Costa...and they have a stuffed polar bear inside...pretty awesome in the summer...grilled oysters and such....
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 6:59 pm

Jay's Cheesesteaks (21st/Valencia-mission)
Dottis Tru Blue Cafe (union SQ)
Better cheesesteaks at the philly cheeseteak place with the yellow awning on Divisidero a bit east of geary...Dottie's is killer breakfast...usually a wait...in the loin tho..not union sq...on jones bet. o'farrell and geary i believe...another killer breakfast is Just For You...now in the dog patch neighborhood off of third st..on 22nd i think...new orleans-ish..with beignets and such, but all kindsa killer stuff on the menu.....try the side of new mexico green chili sauce!...and if you're after ice cream in S.F....you gotta go to Mitchell's....the best...take guerrero south of Cesar chavez(army) a little ways...(turns into san jose ave.)...fantastic....
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 11:28 am

I can't recommend the It's It too highly. Best ice cream sandwich ever

I still dream of those...they were 75 cents when I was a kid in SF.

ice cream joint on SE woodstock/near Safeway has them here in Portland.
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 11:49 am

I can't recommend the It's It too highly. Best ice cream sandwich ever

they rule!

they're $1.50 in santa barbara at the convenience store near the branch of the library i can walk to
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 3:07 pm | Edited by: Ayapapaya

Go to Taqueria Cancun in the Mission

Yes. And a few blocks south of there is a place Zante's, where they make INDIAN PIZZA! It rules. Also in the mission is a place called something like "Bombay Creamery" that makes crazy good ice cream flavors. For more Indian, in the Castro, on 18th and Noe, is a place called Kasa that makes Indian burritos- 2 for 9 bucks. Incredible!

Zante's is not to be missed! Taqueria Cancun is OK if you're drunk from sitting at the Knockout a couple doors down. Joe came to SF a few weeks ago just to go to Taqueria Cancun...(I can't stop giving you a hard time!)

Thursday (tonight), Wooden Shjips & Hank IV at the Eagle. 398 12th St
San Francisco (415) 626-0880
Show starts around 9:30
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 3:52 pm

warehouse cafe
It's Port Costa...and they have a stuffed polar bear inside...pretty awesome in the summer...grilled oysters and such....

I am def going to this place and staying last night in valleyho
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 1:04 pm

I love it here! Food good, but people mean.

How is the Chinese New Year festivities? Thinking of going, but also thinking it will be extremely crowded.
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 4:51 pm

but people mean

sorry. really.
we got to put up with 'em too.

didn't always used to be like that. they're getting rid of all the regular folks. blame it on the dot-commies
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 4:32 am

Used to be a whorehouse
add this to the Ocean Beach comment and you got the start of your next chapter of that great Si Fi book you're writing
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 8:45 am

dot-commies

dudes with pony tails and wine collections that claim to practice "buddhism" aren't cool?
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 2:55 pm

I got some great pics of the wherehouse which suprisingly has the same polar bear as the safari club in estacada.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/1046
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 4:26 pm

I grew up right by The Warehouse...perfect place, really. They are currently renevating it (top floor essentially caved in!), so we'll see what they do. On a summer night, it's pretty much the best place in the bay area.
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 11:27 am

"Noise Pop" fest going on here in SF and is as lame as ever.
Am looking forward to Tyvek tonight, however.

"Antony & the Johnsons" sold out Masonic the other night (3000 seats). I read a review and gawd did that sound like pretentious caterwauling....
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®