Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Dog Advice
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 1:08 pm

Roo is quite the chewer--I think she may still be teething or something. She got really addicted to rawhides, but many have told me this can cause major stomach problems and to wean her off so many. Now that we have, she is beginning to really chew on whatever she can, including the legs of my Noguchi coffee table.

What do you fellow dog owners get? She is a fan of stuffed animals, but sometimes I don't think this is enough resistance for her. She hates those Kong things.
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 1:25 pm

Cow hooves. They stink to the heavens, but they're irresistable and very tough, so one will last her for a couple of weeks. Try to buy the lighter colored ones over the black ones--they're supposed to stink less.
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 1:41 pm

Greenies...good for the teef!
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 1:43 pm

CATTLE PROD
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Greenies...good for the teef!

Lots of greenie controversy. Supposedly they can really mess up your dog.
Or not.
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/greenies.asp

Boo was partial to those big fabric things with a knot in the middle.
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 2:51 pm

my dog likes the knotty rope.
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 3:15 pm

She too likes the knotty rope but mostly just to tug with. The cattle hoof may be too tough as the bone she has is like chewing on pottery or glass, or at least that is what it sounds like.
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 3:19 pm

Lots of greenie controversy.

WOW...YIKES! Well, because of similar rawhide controversy we switched. My ex('s)-dog used to have lots of trouble digesting the rawhides, with the puking and the whole nine...was also told they bury them and find them later, once they've rotted and become toxic. Always done great with the Greenies...but I'm not one bit surprised that they are putting hazardous waste into dog treats...fuckers. Rope it is.
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 5:02 pm

She hates those Kong things.

Have you tried putting a bit of peanut butter inside of it? Our dog wasn't too into them either when he would finally get the treat out of it, but he never really had a chewing problem. I think they're shaped in a pretty dumb way. They've got bone shaped toys made out of similar material now, too, so your dog won't be swallowing little bits of plastic.

Anything durable with a squeeker in it, is great, too - if you can deal with the noise involved.
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 5:57 pm

The cattle hoof may be too tough
Naw. I guess resilient would be a better word. They don't shard up or anything, mostly just get slimy. Try one--they're a buck.
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 7:15 pm

there's always ice cubes...
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 12:22 am

and then there are bones.... your butcher can give you some (or sell you some)

when i make osso bucco, i give the dogs the bones (AFTER i've enjoyed the marrow - its too rich for them) and for those who deign to venture to the wrong end of the bbq spectrum - beef rib bones - dogs love em
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 8:49 am

Try the Galileo or the DENTAL DINOSAUR!!!!

The dental dinosaur hurts like a bastard when you step on it in the night, though.
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 9:36 am

DENTAL DINOSAUR!!!!

The dental dinosaur hurts like a bastard when you step on it in the night, though.

SO true!

Ilsa eats pig ears.
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 9:57 am

shogo eats everything. loves to carry that Kong around!
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 10:24 am

She really doesn't seem to like regular bones. But a week into no rawhides, the stuffed tiger with the squeak and the knotted ropes seem to be her favorites. The pig ears might be good and I am intrigued by this Dental Dinosaur idea!
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 11:13 am

Nyla bones:

http://www.nylabone.com/products/

These things last forever.
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 12:00 pm

Nyla bones:

I'll second that!!

And add that these hurt a bunch when you step on them in the dark too.
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 1:20 pm

The Dental Dinosaur and Galileo are under the Nylabone non-edible category.

Patty, Bridget and Joey Fang like them and they last forever.
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 7:53 pm

ROCKS! -- http://flickr.com/photos/pheezy/1740370487/

(srsly tho, nyla bones & kongs w/ pb)
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 8:07 pm

for your furniture, they make a 'no chew spray' that you can apply to whatever you don't want chewed. it's relly bitter so when you spray it, stand back cause the shit will get to your taste buds and it's awful. it worked with my rotty, but it was always really funny to watch him try cause then he'd just stand there and bark at the rug. actually pretty entertaining.
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 10:08 pm

She does love the ice cube that falls out of the dispenser onto the floor daily, but the Nylabone may be where it's at. The kong frozen with PB was a no go; she just licked at it til the PB came out.
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 10:13 pm

I dunno about those nylabones being non-edible. My old pup Maya sure did eat one (of the supposedly non-edible variety) and had resulting explosive diarrhea during the night. It might be one of those things you want to keep an eye on until you know what she's capable of getting through. Just a heads-up.
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 10:37 pm

She too likes the knotty rope but mostly just to tug with.

Soak the knotty rope in chicken broth and freeze it.
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 7:21 am

Pheezy. You are the true Dog Whisperer!
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 9:41 am

I'm just a dog-whisperin' puppet.

My girlfriend studies dog behavior and has been known to raise a service dog or two.
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 12:57 pm

Soak the knotty rope in chicken broth and freeze it.
my dog would eat that thing without thinking twice and there'd be a puddle of drool rivaling the pacific
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 5:14 pm

I just put some obedience classes up for auction, if anyone's interested. 'won't help with chewing, but it might be nice for those of y'all on here with new dogs, or whatever.
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 7:00 pm

She is very smart with learning commands but the chewing is insane. Why do they do this?
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 10:22 pm

I don't know. 'seems like eventually they just stop. Happy Birthday, BTW, saispas!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®