Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Flying with a guitar..
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 4:09 pm

Advice...???
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 4:18 pm

strap it to your back so you can freely flap your arms.
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 5:42 pm

Get a good case that you don't mind getting scratched and stickers on. Then make sure you loosen the strings before you go to the airport, since the tension of the strings adjust during flight and might warp the neck.
I used to also run tape around the case, and over the latches, but with the TSA the way it is now they open everything and ruin my tape job. They also always ask if my Peavy bass case holds a gun! Go figure.
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 5:44 pm

The musicians union negotiated a deal years ago where basically they have to let you bring an intrument on board as carry on. Worst case scenario, they gate check it. I've never had a problem.
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 8:01 pm

i had read somewhere that joe strummer had been so paranoid about losing his guitar that he would never bring a case for it to the airport - that way, they\'d have to let him stow it in the overhead area, since he couldn\'t check it. i don\'t know if that\'s a rock-star-only rule, or not, though...
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 8:03 pm

break the neck in half and stuff it in a suitcase.
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 8:29 pm

Posted: Jan 10, 2009 8:32 pm

since the tension of the strings adjust during flight and might warp the neck.
Brnot!
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 12:46 am

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 2:45 am

The musicians union

really?
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 8:18 am

but sure to wear a helmet if indoors.
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 8:25 am

Flying with a guitar..

Well, first of all, the guitar should be a Flying V.

HEE-HAW!!!

But seriously folks...get a gig bag, bring it as a carry-on. Ask the stewardess if you can store in one of the upright closets. I\'ve flown with guitars several times, and only once had a problem - and that was in Scandanavia on a little puddle-jumper, where the bins weren\'t big enough to hold a guitar (so I checked it, with no problem).

If you have a Fender guitar (or any bolt-on neck guitar) you can do the Danny Gatton trick and just take the neck off, then put the neck and the body in dufflebag and bring it on the plane with you. But you have to be fairly good with guitar setups because you might have to do a little adjusting once you put the neck back on. You should also get threaded steel neck inserts if you\'re gonna do that, because if you take a neck on and off, you can strip it.

Whatever you do, don\'t check a Gibson guitar without a SERIOUS hardshell case - it will arrive in two pieces if you don\'t.
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 10:56 am

...get a gig bag, bring it as a carry-on. Ask the stewardess if you can store in one of the upright closets.

Only if the flight is full there may not be any room. Last couple of flights I've had that was my plan, but there wasn't any space in the crew closet - once there was a handicapped dudes' wheelchair already in there that took up all the room, once the flight was full and people with large carry-ons had filled it up before I boarded. Since they added all the new baggage fees people are trying to carry on more stuff to save $$$, so you can't count on there being enough room for a guitar to fit anymore.

I would NOT bring just a gig bag, because you can't be sure that they won't make you check it. Make sure it's a hardshell case that can take some abuse. I got a Gator case and I've flown all over the world with it with no problem, even when it's been flung around by the baggage handlers. I think it helps that it's guitar shaped - if it was the rectangular-style case they'd probably make me check it because those look like they take up more space.

When I was going to Europe in November, I wanted to bring my Danelectro doubleneck, with the baritone and six string neck. It took me forever to find a case for it. It's only a couple inches longer than my other case, but it LOOKS much bigger. They wouldn't let me carry it on, and also said it was too big to check so I'd have to pay an oversize bag fee. With the extra bag fee and the oversize fee they were going to charge me THE COST OF ANOTHER TICKET TO EUROPE to bring that guitar with me! Almost 800 bucks! So, no doubleneck guitar on that tour...
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 1:30 pm

I brought mine in a rectangle-shaped universal hard shell case. I carried it all the way to the plane with every airline employee telling me "you'll have to check it at the gate" along the way. I took it on the plane and it fit just fine in the overhead. This was all before 9-11 though.
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 4:30 pm

The musicians union

really?

Really. The letter I have is in pdf form, but here is what it says:

--As a follow up to our earlier meeting with Mr Hal Ponder, President of the Musicians Union, following are the Transportation Security Administrations (TSA) revised policies and procedures reagarding the screening and carriage of musical instruments through the screening security checkpoints of our nation's airports and transport of musical instruments aboard aircraft.

--On Dec 20 2002, TSA instructed aircraft operators that effective immediately, they are to allow musical instruments as carry on baggage in addition to the limit of one bag and one personal item per person as carry on baggage on an aircraft.

--Additionally, these revised procedures were communicated to our TSA screeners at the passenger checkpoints throughout the country. Should your membership expereince problems at the security screening checkpoints, please advise them to speak to a screening supervisor for resolution.
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 9:02 pm

The musicians union

really?

Might not do much good on an international flight, though.

Only if the flight is full there may not be any room.

Well, ya got a point there. But I flew with a guitar last fall, and had no problems...just take a telecaster. You can strap it to the wing and it will arrive just fine.
Posted: Jan 12, 2009 11:29 am

The last two summers I flew 25 kids to Rock School festivals in PA and NJ. Each flight had about 15 guitars on it. We did not have any problems. Oversize cases (some basses, explorers, etc) sometimes have to be checked.
Posted: Jan 12, 2009 11:50 am

Well I fly about 25-30 times a year with my guitars and have never been allowed to carry on a guitar.
Posted: Jan 12, 2009 3:59 pm

Also, and perhaps most importantly, know that after reading this thread that you are likely gonna to be way more informed about the rules than the airline employees at the ticket counter, gate or on the plane.

On at least 3 or 4 occasions I've had ignorant employees tell me I was not allowed to bring my guitar on the plane with me. Hold your ground and demand to speak with a supervisor - they'll probably bend when you start holding up the line and slowing down the boarding of the place.

I was one of the last to board a Southwest flight one time and there was no more room in the bins. I refused to let them check the guitar and was being a big pain in the ass about it until two ladies agreed to check their bags and make room just so I'd shut the fuck up and sit down.
Posted: Jan 12, 2009 8:05 pm

I've taken a guitar onto a plane before (carry-on) but the key is getting there EARLY to make sure there is still ROOM in the overheads (or the attendants area).

Most guitarists are incapable of achieving this seemingly insurmountable task, though.
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 3:03 pm

any problems with taking your pedals in carry on?
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 3:41 pm

No, except you will get stopped at security every single time.
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 5:31 pm

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 7:02 pm

Anyone who breaks Dave Carrol's guitars is cool with me
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 8:05 pm

Weird! I've been dealing with this shit all day. From what i understand all the airlines say you can carry one on, but it rarely happens. I can't find a flight case for my guitar because it's got such a weird shape. I looked at some "universal" ones at the guit store and they look like cheap shit.
I'm considering welding up an aluminum cage to put my oem case in! Really.
Hey bruce as far as pedals I'm thinking about shipping mine. Individually..
That airline we're using only alows one pretty small carry on.
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 8:07 pm

And Bruce, same airline DOES NOT allow you to carry on a guitar. I called and talked to 2 really nice Australian broads. No luck.
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 8:09 pm

check, we're building bullet proof cases before we leave
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 8:17 pm

It depends on how smooth you are. Seriously. At least for domestic flights. I have never had a problem. When Pat Todd and band fly out to TX twice a year they carry on three guitars every time. I just had School of Rock all-star kids fly into Austin for a tour and about 18 kids carried on and when they left Austin they carried em back on.
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 8:46 pm

out of the country
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 8:48 pm

gotta be checked
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 9:02 pm

since you gotta check your pedal case, make sure you disconnect all the batteries(in fact dont take any batteries just get when you get to where you are going)...I once had ALL of my battery wires CUT in my pedals when I arrived. (I suppose it was some security thing) Good thing we had a practice before the gig, as I woulda been screwed if i got to the gig and noticed with no time, extra wire, electrical tape etc to fix em before the show
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 9:12 pm

maybe we can hire some "mules" to carry them
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 9:58 am | Edited by: eric o

checked 2 guitars in hardshell cases with no problems last week. including bologna airport. effects were in one of the hardshells... i swear my big muff w/no writing, just a big button on it shoulda been suspicious but i guess not.

there's some weird "shrink wrap your luggage" thing going on in italy, maybe all of europe. i would guess you would need it more in italy, though.

lotta banditos out there.

when i got to Memphis, i was envious of all these metal cases. looked to be the same size as guitar cases... but they were for rifles. Maybe you could modify a gun case?

making your own is probably cheaper, though.
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 10:56 am

Last time I flew out of Memphis with all my chords and pedals in my carry on bag, the lady at the x-ray machine stoped me and said, "I need to take a look in your bag." She started to unzip it, and the end of a guitar cable flopped out. She said, "Oh shit, honey! Get outta here." Then tossed me my bag.
Memphis is kinda special that way.
I didn't have the same luck in Chicago. Every pedal and chord had to be x-rayed individually several times.
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 11:00 am

She started to unzip it, and the end of a guitar cable flopped out. She said, "Oh shit, honey!

dear penthouse forum.....
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 1:07 pm

Well I fly about 25-30 times a year with my guitars and have never been allowed to carry on a guitar.

That's because Stewardesses hate Sell outs.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®