Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Asheville NC???
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 1:22 am

Heading there to see Thomas Function later this month. My bus gets in hours before the show. Any cool spots/food/etc. I can amuse myself with?
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 2:15 am

NO... But its been 10 years.. so maybe now. But I doubt it.
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 7:49 am

haven't been there in years, but i hear things have really changed and that there's good food there. go to static age records, they'll point you in the right direction.
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 11:45 am

i was just there this past summer for a roller derby trip and there are a few places downtown that are decent if you can ignore the touristy/hippieness of it all. (ie shitty bands playing on the street and overpriced art/craft stores) i had some good coffee at this shop there. i just can't remember the name of the place. i just remember that there is a green and yellow fire hydrant in front of it. i went walking around downtown and found a few interesting places here and there. can't remember the place where we ate either but they had decent pizzas. i'm not much help. heh. but yeah, i would say if you don't have a car, just wander around downtown and you'll find something to at least look at that's not terrible and a few places to eat.
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 12:12 pm

Harsh toke dudes! I've been here for about 4 years now and it's loaded with good food, a few good record stores and lots of cool people. Hanging out down on Lexington (must be where Elle is talking about) is like a hippy touristy version of Beale street, so yeah, if thats not your scene, skip it. But if you want to walk around downtown, it's not nearly as unbearable as Beale and is actually blessed with a few redeming local businesses. Great video store, best Indian I've had(outside Manhattan),two decent record stores, awesome coffe shop(IZZY'S) and lots of little shops. Great used bookstore as well.
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 1:11 pm

i do remember really awesome antique stores there, so if the homo in you SCREAMS to shop...
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 5:21 pm

Adam, it's like they dropped Madison in the Appalachians and took away the lakes, the world-renowned institution of higher learning and the people wearing giant red sweatshirts. There ya go. If you run into Josh Mayfield tell him MKE says 'hi'.

-Ryan
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 5:25 pm

Adam, it's like they dropped Madison in the Appalachians and took away the lakes, the world-renowned institution of higher learning and the people wearing giant red sweatshirts. There ya go.

Wow...

Greg, what's the name of the Indian place?
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 5:34 pm | Edited by: colin

Been a few years for sure, but I remember damn good Cuban or Carribean joint in Asheville.
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 7:15 pm

The name of the Indian place is Mela and it is on Lexington Ave. right by Static Age and Voltage(both record shops) and Izzy's(coffee). The place where I booked Thomas Function is the Admiral, it's in West Asheville, not downtown. Easy enough to get to, but definitely a 20 minute walk from downtown. Good food and drinks at the Admiral as well. Once your in West Asheville there is a good record store as well, Harvest Records, across the street from the Admiral. Hope that helps.
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 10:54 pm

Thanks Geek Love! Yeah, I heard good things about the Admiral. Lookin' forward to it.
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 8:15 am

Asheville is great (coming from native NC hippie hater)...being only 5.5 hrs away from here on the coast, part of what makes living in NC tops...
I can be there in half a day...
but then I'm a sucker for the Blue Ridge Parkway, hiking around, little Switzerland(hey touristas!), Dupont Forest near Brevard, Black Mtn., camping at Linville Gorge and the whole Banner Elk/BOone/julian park...
which I guess is all outside Asheville, but that's the cool part, that there's
a lot more outside the city to do when you're over it.

Beats the fuck out of Charlotte or Raleigh...

Too bad you're on a bus...exit 7 off of I-40 about 40 minutes west of Asheville is Max's patch...a 'summit' that meets the Ap Trail which on a good day has a 360 view of the Smokies/Apps...pretty awesome
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 5:32 pm

Scored a car, gonna go to Max's Patch in the afternoon. Thanks for the tips, youze guyz.
Posted: Jan 9, 2009 12:06 pm

Hey Adam K, Max patch is great but it's a bit of a drive. You might consider Graveyard Fields off the Blue Ridge Parkway(if it's open to drive on) awesome balds on top of the mountains that historians believe the Cherokee cleared to hunt and I guess party on, it has waterfalls, great views, etc..just saying, and it's not as much as of a drive. Plenty of other great spots to get your nature on as well on the way up there, too bad it's cold because there are 3 good swimming holes as well. Travel safe
Posted: Jan 9, 2009 12:45 pm | Edited by: benwah

[[i]You might consider Graveyard Fields/i]

that's a good one...finally got there a couple years ago....I think it's
Black Balsam that you hike up to?
it was March, it was awesome, it was cold
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®