Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / electric toothbrush vs manual toothbrush.
Posted: Jan 1, 2009 5:58 pm

what do ya think?
Posted: Jan 1, 2009 6:07 pm

Electric ones work great and make your teeth feel so clean, but they're a total ripoff. New brush heads for $15, which you feel like you have to buy because you already spent a bunch of money in the stupid toothbrush. what a scam.
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 12:40 am

I've always been intrigued with the thought of having an electric toothbrush, but am too thrifty to buy one. Never a problem at the dentist, so brushing and an affinity for those stimudent toothpicks must be good enough for me.
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 2:11 am

every time i use mine my gums bleed. I guess I have gingivitis and AIDS.
Posted: Jan 5, 2009 12:55 pm

my gums bleed

scurvy? eat more citrus
Posted: Jan 5, 2009 1:35 pm

I've heard many women rave about the merits of the electric toothbrush, non of which had to do with oral hygiene.
Posted: Jan 5, 2009 2:38 pm

I've heard many women rave about the merits of the electric toothbrush, non of which had to do with oral hygiene.

Sonic cleaning action.
Posted: Jan 5, 2009 3:30 pm

I threw away my electric recently. We were trying to figure out why my tartar problem has gotten even worse in the last year or so. My dental hygienist pointed out that with the ten-dollar Oral B I was using, even the SLIGHTEST amount of pressure caused the thing to STOP. But the vibration makes it FEEL as if it's working when it's actually not. I never realized until she showed me.

After this discovery, I realized it was virtually impossible to hold the thing lightly enough that the head would still move, while still applying enough pressure to actually brush the tooth. I could be wrong but I think this is what caused my recent tartar buildup, because I used it for about a year.

It was a blue-and-white Oral B, and I faithfully replaced the batteries and the brush head, but it didn't make any difference. I'll bet some of you use this, because I see it everywhere.

I haven't given up on an electric, but this time I'm taking my dentist's advice and shelling out for a Philips Sonicare. I think they're about a hundred bucks. I will NEVER again buy a cheap one.
Posted: Jan 5, 2009 3:58 pm

Whilst in for some oral surgery, I happened to ask the doc about the differences in the current electrics. I used to own a sonic care about six years ago, but the replacement brushes were rather spendy and it eventually broke. The Doc said that the Oral B's were fine but slightly inferior to the Sonic care. He also managed to underscore the fact that the only reason they did better was the built in timer - most people won't actually brush for 2 full minutes. He said that if you did actually brush, correctly, for 2 full minutes with a manual, you'd do just as good a job. He also said he never replaced his after it broke.

Whatever you choose, don't brush too hard!
Posted: Jan 6, 2009 10:51 pm

sonicare
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 7:19 pm

sonicare
Same here. See you in hell dentists.
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 7:37 pm

Neither. Drink plenty of fluoridated water.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®