Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Jimmy Carter vs. Punk
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 12:01 pm

Posted: Dec 29, 2008 12:46 pm

This is disturbing.
Perhaps I shall have to re-think my opinion of the great man.
I was too young to vote for him in 1976, but did campaign for him wearing a home-made Sex Pistols t-shirt.
And yet, he still won Tupelo.
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 1:38 pm

man that was pretty cool back in the 70's when (white) folks all et up with The Lord could still vote Dem.
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 4:16 pm

damn, dude, don't you know back then everybody hated punk rock?

now it's a fashion statement, not even Jimmah C. can criticize those
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 7:15 pm

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 12:35 pm

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 1:48 pm

Damn, he must have really hated Richard Hell
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 6:51 pm

yeah, Jello. Sony was waiting with check in hand but Carter said no.
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 11:55 am | Edited by: Uptight White

Aside from a few bands like the Clash, punk rock was politically ambiguous (if not apolitical) in that era. The nihilism, violence, and anti-hippie sentiment were what was visible to outsiders. There wasn't much for polite southern lefties to support in punk until some hep 60's radicals from that Bay area saw it as a vehicle for promotion of far-left ideals in the early 1980's. Amy was a Ramones fan as a teenager, so it didn't work out too well.
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 1:47 pm

You're right, it's unfortunate that the hippies took over and instilled a lefty pc code. It was a lot more fun before that happened.
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 8:53 pm

You're right, it's unfortunate that the hippies took over and instilled a lefty pc code. It was a lot more fun before that happened.

How old are you todd!?
Posted: Jan 5, 2009 12:54 pm

hippies took over and instilled a lefty pc code

I dunno, DOA's manager was a commie just like Bernie Rhodes.

also, the Dils had a far left mgr and were on the left themselves, playing benefits for striking coal miners, etc.

this was in 78-79
Posted: Jan 5, 2009 2:01 pm

Perhaps I shall have to re-think my opinion of the great man.

Jimmy Carter was a sweet old southern baptist gent. From the way punk was depicted in the press, on Quincy, and what-not... from what he knew, how can it be hard to understand his perception at the time (if it is true). I'm sure (now) with JC's Habitat work, he's been around and befriended lottsa "punk rockish" types by now. Granted, probably the aforementioned lefty types, but still. Good dude regardless. Anyway… I don’t think punk rock by design was meant to be condoned by US Presidents, good or bad-uns.
Posted: Jan 5, 2009 2:29 pm

I dunno, DOA's manager was a commie just like Bernie Rhodes.

also, the Dils had a far left mgr and were on the left themselves, playing benefits for striking coal miners, etc.

this was in 78-79

And there was also Fear & the Huns and all kinds of shit balancing it out. Once hardcore took over, there was one creed with a few (shunned) exceptions.

"Frankie," you collect those records, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®