Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / nba update
Posted: Dec 25, 2008 5:12 pm | Edited by: michael baker

Well over a third of the season is over and interesting things can be said:

The value of a point guard in terms of wins has never been so reduced--not one of the 4 best teams has an all star point

The value of a great center is at best a good thing, but hardly a prerequisite--only Dwight Howard qualifies as great player in 4 best teams

The balance of the power has moved East after many many years, even if pistons and heat made good shows lately--the east has 3 of the 4 best teams and although the west probably has the majority of the rest of the top ten--I would HATE to play pistons in second round however--the three teams are fucking powerhouses

The lakers
Cavs
Orlando
Boston have 99 wins after today

The next top six teams have only a few more wins

Those 4 teams could field an all star team (Howard center, pierce/kobe G, and lebron and garnett forward) that could beat any other 5 best at their position in the history of the NBA. And they are from FOUR teams, not entire league.

(if from whole league:I’d take wade over Peirce and maybe bosh over garnett.)

Take a year and find a more versatile and more athletic and TALLER team than those 5

I think not

My point?

The playoffs could be fun this year.
Posted: Dec 25, 2008 5:24 pm

How bout that win from the world champion DYNASTY san antonio spurs today?
That last shot was killer!
Posted: Dec 25, 2008 7:10 pm

michael baker: never missing a chance to prove himself an idiot.
Posted: Dec 25, 2008 7:48 pm

give it a rest. it's a holiday. read something. provide input.

oh--what was so idiotic? that chris bosh is a great player?

don't read.

therefore you don't have to call me names.

how's that for a truce?

or engage in dialogue and say what you think.

and trust me, if you ever met me: idiot would be the furthest thing from yr mind. seriously.
Posted: Dec 25, 2008 7:55 pm

Eh. Spent ten or so minutes trying to work up a better team before I realized I know jack about basketball, it can't be proven either way, and that Pippin/Jordan is the best offensive+defensive tandem ever.
Posted: Dec 25, 2008 8:23 pm

Pippin/Jordan

yes

and a jordan/pippen/bird/magic team would be a great start (88-89?) but dwight howard is a beast and better than an aging kareem. or a young Hakeem Olajuwon??? maybe. he will be in 2 years. i think he's 22.

that's a helluva team

but i love my lebron
Posted: Dec 25, 2008 8:47 pm

Center was where it really fell apart for me. I had Magic, Michael, C, Scotty, and Tim Duncan.
Of course, I had to google "1 guard" and so forth to actually find what the 5 spots were and who'd played them...I wasn't totally ignorant, but I wasn't sure, either.
And the team aspect is tough. Who knows chemistry? Bo?
Posted: Dec 26, 2008 9:14 am

Not to sound like a cynical dick, but wake me when the playoffs begin. The NBA season/postseason is too damn long to pay attention to. Especially a few days before week 17 in the NFL.
Posted: Dec 26, 2008 11:45 am | Edited by: Highway Star

your center on that other team would be david robinson. you could stick hakeem at the 4 and then do bird magic and jordan, or sneak in isaiah or pippen or just say fuck it and shove karl malone in there speaking of beasts. there's a million combos and any of them could beat the team you put together up there more times than not.
Posted: Dec 26, 2008 3:15 pm

but i love my lebron
yea, he's a good sonovabitch!!
Posted: Dec 26, 2008 4:44 pm

must correct myself apparently the year i was thinking of 89-90 was actually robinson's rookie year so i had that wrong under those conditions. however i stand by my statement of what several permutations of teams from players from that couple of years there would do to baker's five.
Posted: Dec 26, 2008 8:00 pm

i'd take George Mikan, Jimmy "the mad pollack" Pollard, Al Groza (a great uke player, too), Arild "Vern" Mikkelson and Adolph Shayes over any of those fellers. Dike Eddelman could come off the bench, also.
Posted: Dec 26, 2008 9:28 pm

wilt, oscar, russell, west, baylor would torture Howard center, pierce/kobe G, and lebron and garnett forward
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 2:25 am

the BLAZERS are the team of the future!!!! check out this video of there new center
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 12:02 pm

i'll go with 1974's maravich, curly neal, bob lanier and kareem... with meadowlark lemon swishing repeated half-court hook shots to spread the defense.
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 1:22 pm

Or the all pain team - Bill Laimbeer at center, Bruce Bowen at small forward, Dennis Rodman at power forward...dammit, I can't find any guards who were known for this sort of thing.
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 4:56 pm

kermit washington caused more pain than any of those pussies. and how about the 1972 minnesota gophers?
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 5:13 pm

I can't find any guards who were known for this sort of thing.

if it's cheap shot artists you're looking for, john stockton should be at the top of your list.
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 6:48 pm

Yeah, I am always gonna be a "Wake me for the Playoffs" from now on out. Unless the Grizz somehow became amazing...but even then, I am jaded with the NBA and love the college game way too much.
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 11:23 am

All Pain Team:

1. Isiah Thomas
2. Joe Dumars
3. Dennis Rodman
4. Rick Mahorn
5. Bill Laimbeer

I LOVED the Bad Boys Pistons.
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 2:38 pm | Edited by: michael baker

must correct myself apparently the year i was thinking of 89-90 was actually robinson's rookie year so i had that wrong under those conditions. however i stand by my statement of what several permutations of teams from players from that couple of years there would do to baker's five.

I think when le bron and howard add 2/3 years they will be cream of the crop--more athletic than anyone at their positions. But by then kobe will be downhill.

So today

Wade
Kobe
Le bron
Garnett
Howard

This team ill be REAL formidable in 3 years

Chris paul
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Howard

Thus group may be better than this year’s.

The 89 team would be

Magic
Jordan
Bird
Hakeem
Robinson

With malone and pippen and Isaiah as bench

That’s a great rotation of 8. The best 8 of all time? yup.

Satch’s 65-66 players aren’t great outside shots, are a little slow, and two of them can’t hit a foul shot, but this is maybe the best 5 of all time. But Baylor could not run with le bron and west would be posted by kobe, and bill would be out of position

West
Oscar
Elgin
Russell
Wilt
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 2:43 pm

in 20 years

this will be the point guard

cat-like quickness
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 5:29 pm

I can't find any guards who were known for this sort of thing.

if it's cheap shot artists you're looking for, john stockton should be at the top of your list.

jerry sloan/norm van lier back court of bulls were real rough and tumble

stockton was a pussycat comparatively

but he learned from the master!
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 5:35 pm

GO WORLD CHAMPION DYNASTY SPURS GO!
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 5:39 pm

GO WORLD CHAMPION DYNASTY SPURS GO!
too many foreigners

go cavs! and their foreigners!
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 7:19 pm

Satch’s 65-66 players aren’t great outside shots, are a little slow...

that's alright, we won't be playing with a red white and blue ball or that pussy 3-point gimmick. and after a couple quarters of getting pounded by my guys' half court game, your boys'll be too blown to run...
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 7:34 pm

you have blue balls!
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 7:35 pm

and 3 PT stays
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 7:54 pm

and 3 PT stays

if your kids want a shot at the crown, shouldn't they play on the big boys' court?

maybe a best of 7. 3 with, 4 without. ;)
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 12:23 pm

put clyde the glide at any position. No matter where he was, that dude was going to score.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®