Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Shrinking down music files???
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 2:25 pm

I recored some stuff on garage band. I have a Mac OS. I have these recordings as MP3s, but they are 2 MB. I am trying to get them down to KB instead of MB. They are only 2 min songs, I don't know why they are so big. I have found some converters online, but I am scared to download anything with out knowing much about it. My last computer (a PC) had a total melt down from a virus and I don't want to take any chances again. Anybody know a safe download for a Mac OS that can shrink an MP3?
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 3:12 pm

Change the bitrate. MP3 is already compressed, so you can't really shrink them.
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 4:20 pm

What Wire said...also, don't worry about viruses on Mac.
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 7:07 pm

Yeah, theyz right. But you should also keep one master recording that's a fairly high quality file... and then make a second lower quality file for email & stuff. On most audio programs, when you get ready to export/mixdown, it'll give you quality options you can adjust.
For post-production and general dicking around with audio, from my Mac days, this is what I liked useing: http://felttip.com/
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 9:14 pm

get XACT (X Audio Compression Toolkit): http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14246

it's free / open source. when you start it up go to the "Lossy" tab for making mp3s.

how little do you want these things? 2mb is pretty average for a 2 minute song. you tryin' to put 'em on floppy disks or what?
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 9:16 pm | Edited by: frankenspline

oh and using the VBR (variable bit rate) setting might help shrink 'em further.
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 1:18 am

how little do you want these things? 2mb is pretty average for a 2 minute song. you tryin' to put 'em on floppy disks or what?

The files apparently were too big to send through Gmail.

I will check out the XACT, thanks.
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 1:39 am

i think gmail has a 10mb attachment limit so unless you were sending multiple files that should be fine. if you want to send them all at once use ysi maybe?
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 1:54 am

I am trying to send multiple files. 6 to be exact. I didn't really want to send 6 separate emails. I could, but as a gesture of kindness to the receiver, I'd like to shrink it down some.
What is ysi?
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 2:11 am

ysi, you send it, upload your files, it sends a link to your recipient. link is good for 14 days for the free account i think.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®