Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Replacing tubes
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 2:58 pm

Seems my amp might need one or two replaced soon. There was someone in town who dealt in them but isn't in the business anymore. Where's the best place to go online to find some?
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 3:14 pm

tubedepot.com
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 3:25 pm

What tubes do you need? Pre amp or power? If you are not picky, regular ol' Sovteks are fine. One thing to consider before you start pulling out tubes, is your amp adjustable bias or set? If it is adjustable, you'll need to get somebody to bias it as well.
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 3:28 pm

How do you know you need new tubes?

newer vacuum tubes should last 5 to 7 years (typical)
Older tubes made before the 70s should outlast you.

What are we taking about here- guitar amp or stereo?

What's going on with the thing?

Justin
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 3:55 pm

Guitar amp. '73(?) Music Man HD 130.

Sovteks is what it's had and a couple look really blackened in the glass. They've been in there forever. Thinking I might want to refresh them. Changed two like that a few years back and it seemed to freshen it a bit. Wondering if it's due time for the other ones.

Adjustable bias or set? I'm lost.
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 3:58 pm

just put some more weed in there
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 4:00 pm

No, that's the beer.
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 4:08 pm

It's adjustable bias on a music man... I play the same amp and have tried sovteks, jj's, groove tubes and Tung sol- Tung Sol by a mile in my opinion, followed with a tie between JJs and Sovtek.

I wouldn't worry about replacing them until you can hear the difference though. I usually know mine need replaced when my amp's not as loud or if it sounds muddy. I know I may play more than most, but tubes don't last me no 5-7 years! Maybe if you're talking preamp (not really the concern with us MM folks), but power tubes last me 2 years if I'm lucky...
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 11:07 pm

hey nick, or justinm, i've got svetlanas (el34) in my MM 4x10 65, and i really like the sound, but i'm wondering how much noticeable sound difference there will be if i go with something like JJ's or tung-sol?
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 11:23 pm

I miss Steve Albini so much.
Posted: Dec 17, 2008 9:47 am

In my opinion, not enough to warrant tossing good tubes! Especially if you like the sound...
Posted: Dec 17, 2008 10:04 am

I don't have much experience with Music Man amps, but from what I understand, there were some models that ran the plate voltage quite high. This could account for a short lifetime as well as an active playing schedule. As far as knowing how certain brands will sound in your amp- I don't really know. I don't have a favorite brand or type of tube for that matter in terms of sound. I do like designing stuff with EL84s though.

Have fun.

Justinm
Posted: Dec 17, 2008 10:15 am

What are the best tubes to use in a Fender Twin RI? I'm not sure what they come with but are there any tubes that make a huge difference in that amp?
Posted: Dec 17, 2008 11:10 am

I'm not sure what they come with but are there any tubes that make a huge difference in that amp?

I doubt any tubes are going to make a HUGE difference. But I like JJ's, generally.
Posted: Dec 17, 2008 11:18 am

Call Lord Valve in Denver at NBS Electronics. He will point you out to the most robust, yet cheapest tubes for your amp and he will know a lot about your amp, so his opinion should be well informed.

He is a curmudgeon of sorts, so just ya know, be forwarned.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®