Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Flamin' Groovies at Ponderosa Stomp 2009
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 3:24 pm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 8, 2008

Eighth Annual Ponderosa Stomp To Reveal "Rock's Secret History" (Wall Street Journal) In New Orleans April 28 & 29, 2009 At The House Of Blues

Among This Year's Highlights: Cyril Jordan And Roy Loney Of The Flamin' Groovies To Perform First Full Set Together Since 1971

Wanda Jackson, Howard Tate, James Burton, Dan Penn, And Otis Clay Join 2009 Lineup

The eighth annual Ponderosa Stomp will invade the House of Blues New Orleans April 28 and 29, 2009 as it further strengthens its mission to shine a light on the unsung heroes of American music. The 2009 edition will be the biggest and best Stomp to date, with an expanded three-day conference of panel discussions and a Ponderosa Stomp-curated exhibition at the Louisiana State Museum at The Cabildo in New Orleans. The 2nd Annual Music Conference and Exhibit is presented in partnership with The Louisiana State Museum and the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

Once again, Dr. Ike (aka Dr. Ira Padnos a New Orleans anesthesiologist by day) has assembled an incredible lineup of rockabilly, soul, funk, gospel, blues, rhythm and blues, and garage rock legends and remarkable unknowns in a wild New Orleans party that yearly threatens to rage all night. Rockabilly queen Wanda Jackson and soul legend Howard Tate will be among the acts making their Stomp debuts. Rejoining the Stomp will be swamp man Dale Hawkins ("Suzie Q"), Dan Penn ("The Dark End of the Street"), the Hi Rhythm Section, and 75-year-old Lazy Lester, the patron saint of the P-Stomp, whose instrumental 1966 track for Excello Records provided the festival's namesake.

As has become a yearly tradition, Dr. Ike has managed to coax powerful performers out of retirement and create incredible on-stage collaborations. Cyril Jordan and Roy Loney of the Flamin' Groovies have not played a full set together since 1971, but will perform backed by the A-Bones at the P-Stomp. James Burton and Dale Hawkins had not shared the stage for 40 years prior to the 2nd Ponderosa Stomp but the rare pairing will return next year. Otis Clay will perform with the Hi Rhythm Section, another pairing that has rarely taken place in recent years.

Last year's P-Stomp drew standing-room-only crowds at the festival and daytime music conference. Jon Pareles of The New York Times called the P-Stomp "a party on its way to becoming an institution." He continued, "the Stomp mingled high-octane rockabilly, elegantly dynamic Southern soul, intricate New Orleans R&B and some kindred untamed music." The LA Times' Steve Hochman dubbed last year's event "an exhilarating lineup [and] a wail of a time." Little Steven's Underground Garage devoted a full show to the event and Little Steven himself dubbed Dr. Ike "the wildest anesthesiologist you're ever likely to meet."

The Ponderosa Stomp is made possible with the generous support of the House of Blues New Orleans, New Orleans Fine Hotels, Yee-Haw Industries and Bent Media.

The full lineup:
Wanda Jackson, Roddy Jackson, Alton Lott, Carl Mann, Johnny Powers, Jack Earls, Dale Hawkins, James Burton, Dan Penn And Bobby Emmons, Howard Tate, Otis Clay, The Hi Rhythm Section, The Remains, Question Mark And The Mysterians, The Legendary Stardust Cowboy, Bobby Patterson, Wiley And The Checkmates, The Bo-Keys, Lil Buck Senegal And The Top Cats Featuring Stanley "Buckwheat Zydeco" Dural, Dennis Coffey, RobertParker, Jivin Gene, Ray Sharpe, Long John Hunter, Texas Johnny Brown, Little Joe Washington, James Blood Ulmer Trio, L.C. Ulmer, Little Willie Littlefield, Lil Greenwood, Jerry McCain, Kenny And The Kasuals, Classie Ballou, Deke Dickerson And The Eccofonics, Roy Loney And Cyril Jordan Of The Flamin Groovies Backed By The A-Bones, Lazy Lester

About the Ponderosa Stomp Foundation
The Ponderosa Stomp Foundation (PSF) is a non-profit organization dedicated to celebrating the legacy,revitalizing the careers and preserving the history of the architects of American music. The music of the blues, soul, rockabilly, swamp pop, funk and New Orleans R&B, are the building blocks of rock and roll, rhythm and blues, hip hop and other contemporary music forms. Many of us sing along to songs, made popular by musicians as varied as Elvis Presley, Fats Domino, the Rolling Stones, the Ramones, and the Velvet Underground. But, sometimes the most unforgettable parts of a song come from the behind the scenes architects, not the face on the album cover. Yet, these musicians aren't recognized for their contributions to contemporary popular culture.

With many of these unsung heroes aging, it is essential to honor and capture their pioneering cultural contributions for generations to come. And, it is with this sense of urgency and profound respect for the individuals and their music that the Ponderosa Stomp Foundation continues its work to:

· Celebrate the legacy of the unsung heroes of rock 'n roll whose influence and contributions have shaped American culture for over 50 years;
· Help revitalize the musical careers of these American music icons while they're still alive;
· Preserve the history of rock 'n roll history by educating audiences about American music's unsung heroes.

The Ponderosa Stomp Foundation achieves its mission through the presentation of unique and varied programming, ranging from music education initiatives in public schools and museums to an oral history project to the signature annual concert event, The Ponderosa Stomp. The Foundation is a 501(c) (3), not-for-profit educational organization.

History of The Ponderosa Stomp Foundation
Originally named MK Charities, Inc, the PSF was started by rock n' roll aficionados and members of the Mystic Knights of the Mau Mau who considered it their mission to rediscover and celebrate America's overlooked musical pioneers. Since its inception in 2001, we have put on over 70 shows employing more than 500 musical legends and given a forgotten generation of musicians a platform to perform - and reeducate - the public about their pioneering cultural contributions.
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 3:28 pm

Flamin' Groovies & Howard Tate?!?!?!

My head might explode!
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 3:36 pm

ohmygod.
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 3:47 pm

WOW.
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 3:49 pm

Last year's P-Stomp drew standing-room-only crowds
There were seats?
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 3:56 pm

i'm freaking out.
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 6:35 pm

WATAIN!
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 6:59 pm

wow! i need to see the groovies!
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 7:17 pm

Cyril Jordan and Roy Loney of the Flamin' Groovies have not played a full set together since 1971

They were great at Budget Rock. I thought it was a full set, but maybe Cyril was only there for part of it - don't remember...
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 8:17 pm

hush your mouth!!!
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 8:56 pm

dammit. every year i want to go, but it's just not feasible cuz it's the week of finals and shit. school sucks, flamin' groovies rule.
Posted: Dec 12, 2008 4:53 am

They were great at Budget Rock
if jorden was in the band he musta been sitting down, i missed him, but the Longshots messed up my mind, waas i back in '68 at Golden Gate? was the window pain kickin' in, did this hippy chick wanna roll my balls with her tongue? Damn!
Posted: Dec 12, 2008 2:55 pm

? and the Mysterians killed it last year. Good to see them coming back.
Posted: Dec 12, 2008 2:59 pm

i might be done by then...
Posted: Dec 12, 2008 6:20 pm

dammit. every year i want to go, but it's just not feasible cuz...

Me, too! Cuz it always falls during the same week as a conference I have to go to for work. I'll be in Minneapolis this year. Dang!
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 7:21 pm

A NOLA twofor..Mardi Gras & Ponderosa Stomp..see ya up front!
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 7:46 pm

I'm cashing in some sick days.
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 10:49 pm

i actually might be able to go now. i have to turn in and defend my thesis to the committee 2 weeks before then and i don't have any other classes to attend to. yayur!!! flamin' groovies!
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 2:12 am

there are 2 pair of Ponderosa Stomp tickets available on the Anna Ives auction site -- check it out!
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 3:39 pm

This makes me happy in the face of Crippling-Reality...Thanks!
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 12:52 pm

Are Roy Loney and Cyril Jordan on the friday bill or saturday bill? I can't seem to find it on the site.
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 4:11 pm

I want to go but thanks to this fucked up economy I have no job nor no funds to go anywhere.
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 11:50 am

just hope they play on a raised stage. they're all so short (shrunken?) that at BudgeRock you couldn't see them unless you were right at the stage.

still, sounded good.
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 12:24 pm

Heard A-Bones are backing up Cyril and Roy.
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 12:33 pm

oh man...this is on a tues and wed, not fri and sat...i just assumed. i'm not sure if i could even go now.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 8:33 am

Ponderosa Stomp is a few days away.

Check Dave the Spazz's show from last night. If this don't get you psyched for the Stomp, nothing will.

http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/31200
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 8:36 am

i shouldn't have clicked that link. now i'm gonna be sad all day.

wait, fuck that shit... MAGNETIX IN DALLASTOWN , PA ON SUNDAY!
PARTY!

i love you bingo the chimp!
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 5:06 pm

They were great at Budget Rock
if jorden was in the band he musta been sitting down, i missed him, but the Longshots messed up my mind, waas i back in '68 at Golden Gate? was the window pain kickin' in, did this hippy chick wanna roll my balls with her tongue? Damn!

Paul is talking about Budget Rock 3, not last year or the year before. The A-Bones are not a suitable backing band for this- the Longshots are a way better backing band and actually sound a lot more like the Flamin Groovies.
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 9:22 pm

I will let you know if you were correct.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 1:42 pm

I await your report. I received a txt from a Ponderosa-attending Mitch Cardwell last night saying "Abones. Yuck".

I like the records backing up Roy but didn't care for it live.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 2:33 pm

A-Bones backlash?
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 2:41 pm

A-Bones backlash?

...starts now! fuckin hipsters.

jk i just think if they wanted to do a flamin groovies set then either the longshots or magic christian would be a better backup band.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 2:50 pm

my guess:
bringing in longshots or magic christian meant the promoters would have to buy lots more plane tix... abones were already gonna be there (backing ray sharpe & playing on their own)

just a guess
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 6:07 pm

uh, not a guess! But Redondo Beat mighta been a good backer... dunno.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 4:34 am

please post youtube videos
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 9:34 am

yes.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 10:00 am

Great two nights.

Cyril and Roy sounded great and looked great. The crowd was freaking out. The Stomp ended with the dude who does the voice for Spongebob introducing ? and the Mysterians, who finished at 4:15 AM.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 11:46 am

TOM KENNEY?

wow.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 12:34 pm

Didn't catch his name, but he's a freaky lookin dude. He introduced ? and the Mysterians in his Spongebob voice. Unfortunately, I was sober last night.

He's a terrible dancer...but aren't we all?
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 1:56 pm

TOM KENNEY?
yeah.

Roy Loney is the best dancer ever.
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 6:21 pm

someone post some shit on youtube.
Posted: May 1, 2009 3:59 am

Posted: May 1, 2009 9:27 am

Posted: May 1, 2009 12:01 pm

Roy and Cyril were absolutely amazing! The A-Bones might not have been the best band in the world, but certainly weren't bad. They were obviously a little loose and unrehearsed. They missed a few changes here and there, but over all it was still phenomenal!
Redondo Beat would have been an awesome choice, but I'm sure they were well below the radar of Dr. Ike. He's far to busy having his finger on the pulse of 1943.
Tom Kenny was in the house. I've never been much of one to get star struck, but I was shocked when I noticed how excited I got when I found out he was there.
Posted: May 1, 2009 12:28 pm

what songs did they do? any particular highlights?
Posted: May 1, 2009 3:10 pm

How were the Remains??
Posted: May 1, 2009 4:23 pm

video or audio, anyone?
Posted: May 1, 2009 6:05 pm

Posted: May 1, 2009 9:04 pm

Remains were great. A bones were good, but coulda rocked harder. Quite sloppy, really. But who knows if it was due tolack of practice or due to a bones' competency.

But that's just nitpicky. Or maybe it was cause the drummer for the mysterians was great and they played after a bones.
Posted: May 3, 2009 1:38 am

Show was hands-down incredible, couple rough spots but incredible. Teenage Head, Loney goes into spastic convulsions, pulling himself up by the mic stand to collapse again on to the floor.

Set List:(approximately)

Second Cousin
Cant Explain (Who)
Comin After Me
Have You Seen My Baby (Randy Newman)
High Flyin Baby
Roadhouse
Evil Hearted Ada
Hello Josephine (Fats Domino)
First One is Free
Tallahassie Lassie
In the USA
Shake Some Action
Teenage Head
Slow Death
Shakin\\\' All Over
Posted: May 3, 2009 3:20 am

so, whos got the video?
Posted: May 3, 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks for posting the set list! The collapsing shtick was great but I think that was for Slow Death. Roy's gotta rank in the top 5 of funny/great front men.
Posted: May 3, 2009 2:18 pm

Yes, Slow Death. He was dyin'...slowly.
Posted: May 3, 2009 3:58 pm

you might be right, i was shooting too many pictures to have my wits together. Teenage Head was one of the most monstrous things I'd ever heard, puts any death metal screamer to shame

this just surfaced on youtube:

shake some action (post Loney groovies, but he's singing backup!)

PS - here's my live photos from the 1st night of the stomp

http://33and13.blogspot.com/2009/05/ponderosa-stomp-8-photos-night-1.h tml
Posted: May 3, 2009 4:13 pm

i would love to see slow death........
Posted: May 5, 2009 9:29 am

Live photos from night 2 including a ton from the Groovies Set:

http://33and13.blogspot.com/2009/05/ponderosa-stomp-8-photos-night-2.h tml
Posted: May 6, 2009 5:52 pm | Edited by: Hbrix

bringing in longshots or magic christian meant the promoters would have to buy lots more plane tix... abones were already gonna be there (backing ray sharpe & playing on their own)

i just think if they wanted to do a flamin groovies set then either the longshots or magic christian would be a better backup band.

We did it cause they asked us. At least one Longshot was in attendance. No aspersions, but Magic Christian don't really sound like the Roy/Cyril era Groovies. You ever hear those old live recordings of the FG's? The tight thing is more a relic of the post Loney Groovies.

A bones were good, but coulda rocked harder. Quite sloppy, really. But who knows if it was due tolack of practice or due to a bones' competency.

I dunno, I thought we did pretty well considering, and it's not like I go around saying how great we are, that's for sure. Cyril and Roy were ecstatic about the results and the couple of times I looked up from what I was doing and thought about something other than what could go wrong next or how horrendous the sound was on stage, it seemed like the folks in the audience at HOB were kind of into it, too. The only out and out trainwreck was Shakin All Over, but that had a lot to do with Cyril's guitar kinda vanishing from the monitors and the fact that we'd let that one slide in the whopping two greatly abbreviated practices we had together.
Posted: May 6, 2009 6:08 pm

a-bones rule!
Posted: May 6, 2009 6:09 pm

Posted: May 6, 2009 6:19 pm

does anyone have a video of the full set?
Posted: May 7, 2009 12:07 pm

I heard the Abones did a great job! Glad to hear it! can't watch video at work, will later.

Tom Kinney and Roy are pals I think. I wrote this review of the last Roy Loney CD in Gearhead a while back (written for the Gearhead audience, of which I think there are probably few here) right after I had seen them wasted together in LA:

Roy Loney and the Longshots
Shake it or Leave It
(Career Records)
I take every opportunity to mention to as many people as possible that in 2006 I flew to London to see the Scientists reunion. As luck would have it, the first night I was there I had the pleasure of drinking with former Barracudas and Flamin Groovies guitarist/vocalist Chris Wilson. I will take to the grave my memory of him yelling, upon hearing from whence I came “You live in fucking San Francisco and you came here?! You breathe the same air as Roy Loney!!” It is a sentiment I cherish, one I do not take lightly and an anecdote I have tried many times (unsuccessfully) to relate to Roy himself.
As any San Franciscan interested in rock n roll (and therefore in the Flamin Groovies) knows, Roy can be found almost any day of the week at Jack’s Record Cellar in the Lower Haight. Just go in there. You’ll recognize him. Tell him you’re looking for a Jimmy Soul 45 or something. Even if you don’t want to be an annoying fanboy, it is worth it to breathe the same dusty air as Roy Loney. He’s a nice guy and will humor you. Also, FYI all the good records are in the basement so you have to ask them for something specific you’re looking for.
If you aren’t familiar with Roy Loney, I am not here to tell you what Rock n Roll is by writing a big history of the Groovies or even a brief one of his solo material. But even dumbshits who live here and don’t know who the Groovies are would recognize him as the guy who is always invited onstage by the Dictators, MC5, Andre Williams and Radio Birdman (among others) when they come through town. I most recently saw him hanging out in LA with SpongeBob SquarePants himself, Tom Kinney (it was everything I had in me not to say “You’re Tom Kinney from Mr. Show!” as I suspected he would not reply “NO David, I USED to be Tom Kinney from Mr. Show”) and they were both completely shitfaced walking out of the club arm in arm after watching Nikki and the Corvettes. I’m serious! The next night Roy got onstage with the A-Bones and it looked like he hadn’t taken a break from the previous evening’s revelry. I’m just saying, the guy is like Mick Jagger’s age but he is partying like he’s Jack White. And he is still good! Better than those two put together! But how the hell does he know Tom Kinney? Roy thanks Al Swearengen in the liner notes, does he know him too?
Take this latest CD, which came out last year. He’s again backed by his sometime band, Seattle’s The Longshots. It has guys in it from the Young Fresh Fellows, one of whom is Scott McCaughey who is sometimes in R.E.M. now. He is also in the Minus 5 with the guys from the Posies who are also in Big Star and Peter Buck (who I once saw playing with Fat Possum Records’ most bizarre product Cedell Davis!). He knows a few things about rock n roll from what I gather. The album was partly produced by a guy named Deniz Tek who you may have heard of. He doesn’t exactly leave the farm to twiddle knobs every time some crappy Alive Records band asks.
The album, this new one, is good. Everyone on it is a total pro and you can tell they are having fun. It sounds like Roy Loney doing an American Ray Davies thing, some pop-psych, some rockabilly, the whole nine yards. They pretty effortlessly run through a bunch of rock songs of all shapes and sizes. It is a fun summertime party record with some surprising turns. But probably the beginning of the party where there are only a few people over. Because honestly, the record is nothing compared to this band’s live show. The CD is worth getting, it is worth hearing, but it is just nothing compared to what the man puts out live and that is the late evening partytime jam you want when you’re talking Roy Loney. If you ever, under any circumstances have the opportunity to see Roy Loney live, do not miss it or you are a fool. Yeah, I breathe the same air as Roy Loney. And it’s fucking delicious, Jack!
Posted: May 7, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks for posting all this stuff. I talked to Joe P. on the phone at the end of this weekend. He had tons of stories. He was still coming back from party mode & it made me really regret being all the way out here.
Posted: May 7, 2009 4:29 pm

My operative in the crowd said The A Bones were great. A Bones backlash over. Go about your business.
Posted: May 7, 2009 6:38 pm

This just in. We're (A-Bones) going to back up Roy and Cyril from the Groovies for two shows in July - Maxwell's in Hoboken on 7/23 and Southpaw in Brooklyn on 7/24. Apologies in advance for not being the Longshots or Redondo Beat or the Sadies or whatever. No word yet on whether Tom Kenney will be there.
Posted: May 7, 2009 6:39 pm

FUCKING SICK. hope TTWTH can make it.
Posted: May 7, 2009 6:54 pm

that is kickass! someone should make a video.
Posted: May 7, 2009 8:26 pm

um, any west coast dates? jesus h christ...
Posted: May 8, 2009 9:47 am

Posted: May 8, 2009 1:13 pm

Apologies in advance for not being the Longshots or Redondo Beat or the Sadies or whatever. No word yet on whether Tom Kenney will be there

awwww... it's the Flaming Groovies! All reports were super positive!
Posted: May 8, 2009 1:19 pm

and I too have breathed the same Jack's Records Cellar dust as Roy Loney! Thank you Greg Lowery!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®