Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 5:49 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Back then, I was rollin' with a Walkman. Rotating these tapes:

1. NWA - Straight outta Compton
2. Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
3. Black Flag - My War
4. Motorhead

MY faggot friends would play Nirvana and shit on our way out to skate. Can you get any gayer? Oh yeah, Mudhoney tooo.
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 5:51 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Oh, Slayer Reign in Blood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a little later
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 5:52 am

I loved luggin' around that tape player!!!!!!!!
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 8:44 am

MY faggot friends would play Nirvana and shit on our way out to skate. Can you get any gayer? Oh yeah, Mudhoney tooo.
Wow, you were so cool!!!! Before your time really.
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 10:31 am

dwarves "blood guts & pussy"
hard-ons "love is a battlefield of wounded hearts"
nwa "100 miles & runnin'"
bored! "negative waves" & "take it out on you"
fluid "glue"
et al
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 10:40 am | Edited by: Bazooka Joes Mom

Black flag-Pre Rollins !
Angry Samoans-Back from Samoa
The Meatmen-Were the Meatmen and you suck!
Fugazi-Waiting Room
ANYTHING FROM THE ROCK AVENUE! KUNV!

all in heavy rotation
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 11:00 am

i was 12 in 1990. heh. i probably liked some crap. i really don't remember what the hell i was listening to back then.
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 3:21 pm

Celtic Frost-Morbid Tales
Mentors- (actually by '90 one of my uptight older sisters had thrown out my Mentors tapes)
Slayer-Reign in Blood, Haunting the Chapel
Too Short-Life Is...
Motorhead-Rock 'n' Roll
Nuclear Assault-The Plague

Shit, I'm drawing blanks. I maybe only had a dozen or so tapes since I never had much in the way of money as a yute.
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 3:27 pm

Feverishly anticipating Phish's "Lawn Boy".
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 3:52 pm

Blood Guts & Pussy was thee record of 1990
i did spend alot of time playing sega and listening to Bleach & the Touch Me I'm Sick 7" but the lasting connection i made with the Pacific NW in 1990 was Poison Idea and the Wipers - my fondest memories of 1990 involve jugs of Carlo Rossi and the Drinking's Great comp with Poison Idea and E13

i was way into Steel Pole Bath Tub and Victim's Family at this point too
yeah and Fugazi and Bad Religion too -- i was saved in 1991 when i developed a crush on Elka like every other punk rock boy in SF and going to see her band 8 Ball Scratch introduced me to the Mummies & Supercharger and whatever Mike Lucas was doing (Pussy Hounds?) -- hell, maybe that was 1990 - who knows, i was drinking heavily and having fun liiving in SF with $180 rent - party
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 4:10 pm

First half of 1990 I was a senior in high school, second half I was in the Navy living in Philadelphia. Fortunately I was buying most new stuff on commercial cassette at the time if it was available in that format so a quick trip to ye olde tape drawers will tell the tale:

BAD RELIGION--Against The Grain
THE BREEDERS--Pod
COFFIN BREAK--Rupture/Psychosis
THE CYNICS--Rock n Roll
DWARVES--Blood Guts and Pussy
FLAG OF DEMOCRACY--23
FUGAZI--Repeater
GREEN DAY--39/Smooth
GOVERNMENT ISSUE--No Way Out '82 live
HELMET--Strap It On
MONO MEN--Wrecker
MR. T EXPERIENCE--Making Things With Light
NAUSEA--Extinction
NEUROSIS--The Word As Law
NOFX--Ribbed
NO USE FOR A NAME--Incognito
POISON IDEA--Feel The Darkness
THE RADICTS--Rebel Sound
REAGAN YOUTH--Vol. 1
SAMIAM--Samiam
SOCIAL DISTORTION--Social Distortion

Good times.

-Ryan
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 4:18 pm

Oldies radio and theme songs from cartoons.
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 5:11 pm

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 5:30 pm

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 5:35 pm

Color Me Badd
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 5:38 pm

Dion
Ronettes
Shangri- Las
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
Jive Bunny-I was ten.
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 5:44 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

steamy pile
I always thought of ONJ as ABBA without the dark themes. Get them together and hurl!
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 5:56 pm

my fondest memories of 1990 involve jugs of Carlo Rossi
Uggh, I used to love pounding those things.
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 5:57 pm

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 6:03 pm

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 6:04 pm

MY faggot friends would play Nirvana and shit on our way out to skate. Can you get any gayer?

I guess it coulda been worse. A lotta people would torture me with Janes Addiction back then.
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 6:06 pm

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 6:10 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Where would Nu-Metal be without these guys?

I always liked the Smoke on the Water lyrics in Gift....
My god, they sure sucked pole, tho.
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 6:13 pm

Fuckin a, Perry Farrell's got a cut in that Twilight movie!
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 6:16 pm

iwas 15 and a sophomore in highschool.
i only listened to PUNK!!!
di
circle jerks
wasted youth
adolescents
exploited
anti nowhere league
and many many others that i havent listened to since then.
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 6:20 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I'm glad I wasn't that punk when I was 15. There was always room for Wham and Grand Master Flash and Soft Cell. Angry Samoans probably got the most turntable and boombox time back then, either that or Floyd's Wish you were here.
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 2:50 am | Edited by: frankenspline

I was 9 and listening to Casey Casem's Top 40 every sunday.

probably really digging Bel Biv Devoe or something.
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 3:29 am

THE RADICTS--Rebel Sound
-watched them open for us at tomkinsSq Park last year. Still as good as when i saw em at ANTENNA 10000 years ago.
Awesome! And super nice dudes!

REAGAN YOUTH--Vol. 1

--played with this thing. Me and Ethan from LFD for a few shpws.
Awesome experience
2000 + at tomkin sq for us....crazy!
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 3:30 am

who cares... i'm retired! who--hoo!
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 3:46 am

Hell yea..!! winter 1990. Black Flag- My war..Misfits Walk Among Us...Exploited...1983 Pontiac Grand Prix...bad hair cut, shitty clothes, bad grades..smelly basement room....retarded friends..Sega Genesis!! CD collection at 100!! 10 lp's...50 cassette tapes...no girlfriend...best days of my life!!!!
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 3:48 am

oh yea, skateboarding before snowstorm at Catholic college...just learned how to Ollie!!! and the word "wigger" was born!!! ROCK!!!
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 4:57 am | Edited by: BigKegShandy

I moved from Leicester to London in 1990, to join a band that was kinda what my pal Will once called "beat Nazis", y'know, the 'nothing good was made after 1966' kinda thing, so my listening back then woulda been:

Masters Apprentices, Raven comp
Yardbirds, Roger The Engineer
Pretty Things, Get The Picture
Gene Clark, With The Gosdin Brothers
Prime Movers, Sins Of The Fourfathers
Buffalo Springfield, Again
The Misunderstood, Before The Dream Faded
Downliners Sect, Rock Sects In
Ramones, Rocket To Russia

Plus shitloads of UK, Australian and Dutch biet stuff...

Strangely, although my tastes have got waaaay wider since then, I still really dig mid-60s R&B / beat / garage a whole load, and have filled out jukebox with stuff like the first Masters Apprentices 45, Q65, Outsiders, Pretty Things, Smoke, Creation etc...

Not so sure about my haircut at the time, tho'! See here:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2533332&l=f1890&id=725635470
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 10:28 am

1. NWA - Straight outta Compton

In 1990, I spent three months at sea on a fishing boat on the Bering Sea. There were three cassette tapes on board: the first Culture Club, North Carolina banjo music and Straight Outta Compton.

Earlier that year I was headed to Compton and traveling through nearby Gardenia. Saw a barbecue shack with a sign that read "MEMPHIS BARBECUE," so I stopped. It was great, great barbecue. I told the owner, "This is fabulous, and reminds me of Interstate Barbecue in Memphis." He said, "That's my brother," and pointed towards framed pictures of Interstate Barbecue.
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 10:48 am

Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam
NKOTB
Micheal Jackson
Whitney Houston

also on a walkman.
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 11:19 am

helmet, melvins, steel pole, las vegas grind and other 'wacky' comps("b-b-b-bar be que, queeeeen bee bar b que"), headcoats, antiseen, slayer, drunk injuns, sockeye, dwarves, reverb motherfuckers.....
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 11:23 am

i was 13-14 and pretty much listening to old ass music (Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, Kinks, Dylan, etc) exclusively by this point, but i do remember digging NWA and Rakim and Public Enemy, Jane's Addiction and probably early R.E.M. before they went full-tilt gay with Shiny Happy People. It would be another year before I would get into punk and its progeny.
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 11:27 am

I guess it coulda been worse. A lotta people would torture me with Janes Addiction back then.

haha i still like the second side of ritual
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 12:25 pm

In 1990 I was too concerned with being a baby to have any taste in music. I do still rock cassettes though, not because it's cool or hip but because sometimes it's more convenient.
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 12:28 pm

ISN'T THAT THE YEAR PUNK BROKE????????????????
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 12:56 pm

had to be '91, right?
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 12:57 pm

whatever the year with the nirvana-naked baby swimming cover came out
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 1:19 pm

Blood Guts & Pussy was thee record of 1990

Possibly the high water mark for the entire decade. I am still amazed by how something could simultaneously be so powerful, crude, and yet downright catchy.

In 1990, I was also diggin':

King Snake Roost - From Barbarism to Christian Manhood

Jesus Lizard - Head/PURE

Mudhoney - st/ Touch Me I'm Sick

God Bullies - Join Satans Army/ Plastic Eye Miracle

Sonic Youth - Various Sonic Death Era

Pussy Galore - 1yr Live self released boot tape/Right Now/Groovy Hate F

Helmet - STRAP IT ON

Helios Creed/Chrome - Boxing the Clown/Last Laugh/Red Exposure/Anorexic Sacrifice

Crystalized Movements - Random Comp

Gibson Bros. - Dedicated Fool

Negativland - Helter Stupid

Cows - Daddy has a Tail

Along with the Top of the Pops from Am Rep, Sub Pop, T&G and 80's hangover of Black Flag, Misfits, and Cramps, etc.
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 1:41 pm

I was 9 and listening to Casey Casem's Top 40 every sunday.

probably really digging Bel Biv Devoe or something.

Ditto, unfortunately. Don't forget New Kids on the Block, Milli Vanilli and C&C Music Factory. Yikes. What a horrible time for my young impressionable ears.
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 1:50 pm

Gibson Bros. - Dedicated Fool

Negativland - Helter Stupid

Cows - Daddy has a Tail

yup but i was not hip that year

sure these were playing

neil
goo
the chills
pixies
fakebook

and it's the year i moved to san fran and i spent an incredible time with blue note hard bop stuff of late 50's/early 60's

silver
lee morgan
blakey

and tons more
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 1:52 pm

oh shit i always forget my number one

happy mondays
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 5:53 pm

i think i only listened to the pixies in 1990
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 11:37 am

Zeppelin, Soundgarden, Rush, Alice Donut, Dead Milkmen, GnR Lies, and WASP were about all I had.
I had Eazy Duz It, but my mom took it because she was afraid I was going to get my gat and start sprayin fools if I kept listening.
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 10:55 pm

that marked the year I was fresh outta college radio and flipped into the weirdo record store.....
skip spence, jellyfish, chills, mekons, bevis frond... yeah, that about sums it up.
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 2:04 am

I listened to WRKR "the rocker" wich is now bullshit, and WIDR (college radio) as well. Other than that who fucking cares.
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 2:08 am

oh yea, Screaming Blue Messiahs...I wanna be a Flintstone..I thought that was pretty punk rock same thing with Scatterbrain...then people said i "dude, that's not punk..!" then i said "fuck it" and listened to Rush, Yes, and Jethro Tull. I was at peace. Thats how punk I am.
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 10:07 am

funny this topic surfaced. i was cleaning out my closet - made my way through all the ol skeletons, cobwebs and transvestites and found some notebooks from when i was about 15 yrs. old. most of them were filled w/angsty teenage crap. but there were page after page of mix tapes i was making for myself and friends. i can't say i was COOL. lol but i can be honest... this is what i found: the cure, morrisey, smiths, velvet underground, ramones, samhain & misfits, black flag, sick of it all, cramps
social distortion. but i think i was way into "YO MTV RAPS" more than anything else.
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 10:24 pm

Dead Milkmen - Bucky Fellini
Butthole Surfers - Psychic Powerless Another Man's Sac
NIN - Pretty Hate Machine
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions
De La Soul - 3 Feet High And Rising. my friend Damion had this on tape and I had Misfits - Walk Among Us so we traded, I wanted to hear what the black man was on about and vice versus. Later that day, Bulldozer and Bonecrusher broke into Damion's locker and stole my Misfits tape (these dudes lip-synched "Ride The Lightning" with acoustic guitars and 1 strobe light for talent competition during 7th hour) I kept the De La Soul tape, sorry Damion.

Dutch had this Fame soundtrack tape that he bought at Big Lots. "I love you mannequin!" And the Mystic Merlin tape he had, top shelf.
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 11:00 pm

Oh man, I'm wondering if I was still in my brief, but nonetheless embarrassing industrial phase then, or if that would have been the previous year or so, when I would've been 14...

If I was still into it at 15:
NIN
My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult
Meat Beat Manifesto
KMFDM
Ministry...
I think I supplemented it with other stuff too:
Siouxie and the Banshees
Smiths
Morrissey
Sinead O'Connor
the Cure
If that Jane's Addiction record came out then, then yeah, I was way into that. Was that Ritual de lo Habitual? Eek.

I will say this though, I know I had started to move into other stuff, because I remember my mother being mortified by the band name Dead Kennedys.

Now that I think about it more, I am pretty sure I was moving out of the industrial phase into a brief punk-only phase by the time I was 15. Good thing I still had all my skate punk tapes from when I was 13!

After 15, I was less compartmentalized in my choice of music. Thank goodness for the free thinking that comes with age!
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 9:45 am

I was in the best band in the world in 1990. And having more fun than all of you losers combined.
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 9:52 am

I remember my mother being mortified by the band name Dead Kennedys.
My mom had the same reaction! She also did not think the Dead Milkmen's Beach Party Vietnam was particularly funny.
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 10:10 am

I was ten. I was tired of the cock rock that dominated my tastes in music since '85. It turned all power ballady. I was way into the new school r&b and just on the cusp of returning to rock and rap.

Notable (aka anything I jam/couples only skated to):

Bel Biv Devoe
Biz Markie
Keith Sweat
Paula Abdul
Babyface
Dino
Technotroic
Pebbles
Digital Underground
M.C. Hammer
Vanilla Ice
Snap
Johnny Gill
Mc 900 Ft Jesus

Transition music:

Faith No More
N.W.A.
Too Short
Jane's Addiction
Dinosaur Jr.
They Might Be Giants
Midnight Oil
Depeche Mode
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 4:15 pm

okay. i lied. i was really into old blues records... people you never heard of like: Shep \\\"mud paddy\\\" Royale and Bessie \\\"boxcar\\\" Williams... and Tangiers Sammy... I even got the original \\\"Muddy Paddy\\\" lyrics to \\\"cooler and better than you because I did it first.\\\" written on the inside flap of the very 1st edition of the \\\"KING JOENZY\\\" bible. my shits up on e-bay listed w/my def-leppard 7\\\" and Poison picture disk set of \\\"open and say - - O.G. muth F***er.\\\" Peace!
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 4:32 pm

I was ten. I was tired of the cock rock that dominated my tastes in music since '85.

When you were five?
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 5:14 pm

When you were five?

Indeed. You should see my tape collection from back then. Or, better yet, pictures of me from then. I had a mullet, jeans w/ holes in the knees, and a Slayer t-shirt (and other such bands of that ilk) up until the summer before 4th grade. I'd like to thank the awesome heshers, who where my friends older brothers and such, for being in awful metal bands at the time for shaping my early musical tastes.

High five!
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 6:18 pm

And having more fun than all of you losers combined.
i dunno, not having a job and skating all day every day was pretty fun.
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 6:59 pm

And having more fun than all of you losers combined.
i dunno, not having a job and skating all day every day was pretty fun.

Seconded!
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 7:31 pm

I had just gotten married and was living with my wife and three dogs and five cats in Austin. Had just moved there in 1989. Went to SXSW in 1990 for the first time. Saw great shows by the Flat Duo Jets (with the bass player) and the Original Sins (at the old Cannibal Club on 6th St.) Wristbands were FIFTEEN BUCKS that year.

Also went to Uruguay for a month. It was a pretty great year, actually.
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 7:37 pm

Listening to like mad in 1990:

Fugazi 13 Songs
XRay Spex Germ Free Adolescents
Superchunk first LP
Nirvana Bleach
Melvins Ozma
Mudhoney 7"'s
Teenage Fanclub A Catholic Education
Laughing Hyenas Life of Crime
Unrest Kustom Karnal Exploitation and Malcolm X Park
The Mummies first 7"
Drunks With Guns LP
Treehouse comp 7"'s
Love & Napalm comp 7"'s
and
The first Velocity Girl 7"

(and much, much more)
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®