Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / strange boys
Posted: Nov 27, 2008 12:46 pm

they nailed poem party. just sayin
Posted: Nov 27, 2008 3:01 pm

I wish they would play here.
Posted: Nov 27, 2008 7:00 pm

i don't know what poem party is, but their shows fucking rule and the in the red single is bad fucking ass. i wanna have that kid lullaby me to sleep every night.
Posted: Nov 27, 2008 8:51 pm

poem party is their best song. check they myspace.
Posted: Nov 27, 2008 9:17 pm

singer sounds like a dying cat being raped in an alley or use to live. but you know,nice dudes though
Posted: Nov 27, 2008 9:51 pm

i like. good stuff.
Posted: Nov 28, 2008 8:46 am

singer sounds like a dying cat being raped in an alley

you say it like it's a bad thing.
Posted: Nov 28, 2008 9:18 am

I think this band is terrible! Every part is ripped off from another (obvious) song, they play like they're on Valium (and they're a young band!) and the singer is annoying. It's like a younger, drowsier Greenhornes with worse songs!
Posted: Nov 28, 2008 9:29 am

larry, take todd of your promo list.
Posted: Nov 28, 2008 10:45 am

and put me on it
Posted: Nov 28, 2008 11:41 am

I think this band is terrible! Every part is ripped off from another (obvious) song, they play like they're on Valium (and they're a young band!) and the singer is annoying. It's like a younger, drowsier Greenhornes with worse songs!

you say it like it's a bad thing!
Posted: Nov 28, 2008 11:33 pm

They crashed at my house 2 years ago after a show
w/ Goodnight Loving (who rule!!!)
They wrote on my washer and dryer with a marker.
fuck them. I wasn't that impressed.
Posted: Nov 29, 2008 8:19 am

larry, take todd of your promo list.

I tell Larry if I like something or not, unlike you jackels! I like most ITR stuff a lot, but I don't get this "signing." Yes, they seem like nice kids, but their music is so incredibly boring and derivative.
Posted: Nov 29, 2008 8:20 am

i wanna have that kid lullaby me to sleep every night.

Wait....now I know why Joe likes 'em!
Posted: Nov 30, 2008 3:34 pm

I don't get this "signing."

well you can kinda blame me Todd I turned him onto them and book them on a show with me so he could hear them . Then agreed to produce them . Kinda in the same boat with you now as far as they go .. Swell kids though .
Posted: Nov 30, 2008 9:48 pm

but their music is so incredibly boring and derivative
i dunno. sometimes that stuff is a helluva good time to see and hear
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:08 am

Maybe I'm missing something, but they sound like the Black Lips on luudes.

Not good.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 12:27 pm

we call um black lips lite round these parts. someone should take away there weed and introduce them to the wonderful world of adderal(for light weights) or amphetamines then maybe that would give them the push they need.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:40 pm

Greenhornes

I saw them Strange boys, def. reminiscent of the Cincy guys, who I think were one of the best white R&B acts I've seen in the last 5 years, too bad Jack White had to suck them up and remove their action.

re Strange Boys -- I don't know what you guys are complaining about, I thought they got their act across pretty well

sure beats the freak folk/noodle noise contingent.
derivative don't matter if it's played well and with a modicum of stage presence
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 3:02 pm | Edited by: rich riggler

That is the gayest looking band I've ever seen. Don't need to know what they sound like. How old are they-like, 12? What was Larry thinking? Shoulda known coming from DCR. You guys never fail to amuse me.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 3:58 pm

Oh good grief. You know, these guys have worked very hard for what little success they have had in getting their name out there (and being invited to perform on some very decent bills and festivals around the country over the years). So yeah -- I believe they very much earned their shot at being on ITR -- not just because Jay may have influenced the 'signing' -- but because they play really nice, very appealing 'white R&B' some people out there wanna listen and dance to (and they play it better than most people twice their age).

Furthermore, they fit perfectly alongside ALL the bands on ITR. To me, looking at ITR's roster, makes me think that anyone wondering 'why' ITR would 'sign' Strange Boys appears fucking clueless (maybe it’s just arrogance) as to ITR’s roster of pretty diverse rock-n-roll bands.

Well -- I guess shitty PR from arrogant jerks is better than no PR.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 4:04 pm

Sherry, if you really care about these guys tell them to get a better promo photo. Seriously. They make The Village People look like Slayer. And ditch the hats. They're not from Memphis and presumably still have some hair left at their age.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 4:34 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 4:39 pm

JERKS
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 9:22 pm

(and they play it better than most people twice their age).

they play better music than 40 year olds who cover r and b

what a fucking endorsement; but note how ned, clueless and superficial and gay as always, lampoons their clothes. he's like kjoan rivers without the facial reconstruction and humor.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 9:30 pm

They wrote on my washer and dryer with a marker.
fuck them. I wasn't that impressed.

An improvement to your "decor" if I remember correctly.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 9:36 pm | Edited by: Bazooka Joes Mom

how ned, clueless and superficial and gay as always, lampoons their clothes. he's like kjoan rivers without the facial reconstruction and humor.

once again your wrong you shmuck!Riggler is right about everything,and your just jealous cause i cheated on you with Rich ,and little Joseph is actually little Riggler! now take that you tamale eat'n no green card have'n good for nothin!"PUTZ"!
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 9:46 pm

La mierda del toro, Puta! Cago en tu leche y Vete al infierno. And it's schmuck you poco Hebrew hottie. You make me horny. Come over tonight. I live in the Latin Quarter, not Hymietown. Prrrrrrr.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 10:59 pm | Edited by: Bazooka Joes Mom

bring your "little" jalapeno down to the synagogue!i'll be wearing nothing but Matzo.

p.s. i'll spell shmuck however i want you little sexy illegal alien!
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 1:02 am

Whatever about the hype, the music SUCKS.l

Jangle jangle BORING jangle.
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 12:48 pm

Jangle jangle BORING jangle

you're right. AC/DC is so much more rawk.

thud thud sCREECH Yowl
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 1:19 pm

saw these guys & heard the first 7"… meh.

they get minus points from me for kidnapping Bruce Hipshake in Austin & making us wait at Beerland FOREVER while they took him somewhere to buy pot.
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 1:44 pm

ahh yes, but did he share the pot?
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 1:50 pm | Edited by: cococomas

nope. they smoked it there & THEN came back to meet us.
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 1:54 pm

Whatever about the hype, the music SUCKS.l

So it's Vivian Girlitis.zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 2:08 pm

nope. they smoked it there & THEN came back to meet us.

That's fucking Jewish.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 9:41 am

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 10:20 am

this photo of them is disturbing enough for me to hate them
http://intheredrecords.com/media/8x10's/strangeboys.jpg
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 10:34 am

this photo of them is disturbing enough for me to hate them

ack. they all look like they're 12.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 10:35 am

and that one kid with the red hat has McCainarms
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 10:58 am

http://www.rollingstone.com/blogs/smokingsection/2008/12/our-new-favor ite-band-the-stra.php

Sweet! Thanks for sharing, Kevin!

And thanks to you all for hyping them even more with your hate!!
Whoo-Hoo!! Party!!
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:06 am | Edited by: Stephanie

why you guys gotta get mean? jeez...

here's my Strange Boys story (apparently everyone has one?):

when GNL got back from tour a couple years ago, Colin and H were freaking out about how great they were and I was all, "cool!" and then they came here and I was all, "meh! that was sorta boring!" (but that drummer is great).

and then one day later later on, Kevin was telling me about this Brazilian band (or was it some Scandanavian band?) that the Black Lips were heavily influenced by (i mean, one in particular not like the whole 60's pysch garage scene) and a couple days later I heard this great, great, great song on the radio! and for whatever reason I thought to myself: I wonder if this is that band that Kevin was just talking to me about!!

and then the DJ was all, "that was the Strange Boys soandso on Dusty Medical Records"

and then i asked Kevin the next day if he had any of those singles left and he didn't :(

true story!
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:06 am

i've endorsed them, and that's all anybody needs to know (that means, as a matter of fact, they DO INDEED rule).

I tell Larry if I like something or not, unlike you jackels!

pfffffft... ask larry about the drunken phone calls i give him screaming at him for releasing albums i think are shit. it doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:06 am | Edited by: Rich Balls

And thanks to you all for hyping them even more with your hate!!
McCainarms is the best kind of hype you can get.

example:
"Yo man, have you seen this new band?! They are 12 and have arms like McCain!!! YO!!!!! It's da bomb!"
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:11 am

also, the singer from the greenhornes is super cute. or he was 8 years ago anyway.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:16 am

also, the singer from the greenhornes is super cute. or he was 8 years ago anyway.
The Greenhornes always kind of bored me.
I liked that song "Can't Stand it" and a few others,
but live they were kind of zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
maybe I just caught them on the wrong nights.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:24 am

http://www.rollingstone.com/blogs/smokingsection/2008/12/our-new-favor ite-band-the-stra.php
so much for ever getting them to play at my house...
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:26 am

We got an email yesterday from the desk of Black Keys drummer Patrick Carney:

damn, i hate that band.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:29 am

These strange boys will end up in the same category as the strokes, kings of leon, franz ferdinand, arctic monkeys: a great fucking band.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:36 am

Comment posted on the Rolling Stone link:

These strange boys will end up in the same category as the strokes, kings of leon, franz ferdinand, arctic monkeys: a great fucking band.

I didn't realize that was supposed to be a compliment until the very end!

Also, the Greenhornes were a VERY ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ live band. I've seen them multiple times, and it looked like they were in a coma. Their albums are decent, but ya know, I've got better things to do with my life than listen to modern bands trying to ape 60s music as hard as they did.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:37 am

JJ beat me to it!
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:54 am

I didn't realize that was supposed to be a compliment until the very end!

totally. the difference is (that the moron who wrote that doesn't realize) is that those band never had any substance to begin with. i just hope the strange boys don't end up doing horrible dirty south hip-hop collaborations.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 1:01 pm | Edited by: paulyjerkface

Strange Boys sound nothin' like a Nuggets band (or Los Saicos) to me. Those guys are really good musicians and real nice, but their style & songs do nothing for me. Not at all surprised people love 'em, or that they're on ITR. It's just not exciting music to me at all. I hope we can still be friends.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 1:11 pm

Strange Boys sound nothin' like a Nuggets band

live they had a lot of the shadows of knight chicago r&b sound (plus they covered all the obvious songs- i actually liked that for a change), but they're noisier on wax.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 1:28 pm

Yeah, they're just too "lazy" & tame sounding for me to hear a comparison to that stuff. Just seemed like they played the songs with the bare minimum amount of energy the few times I saw 'em. Some of my friends love 'em, and that's cool. Not trying to be mean or rain on their parade or anything. Just my opinion. I have shitty taste.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 1:57 pm

"lazy" & tame sounding

druggy.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 2:37 pm

That's an easy excuse.

Funhouse = good druggy
Phish = bad, bad, bad druggy

It's a continuum, you see.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 3:01 pm

but i think they're good druggy.

stupid!
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 3:50 pm

wow

people disagree about a band
NO WAY!!!!!!
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 4:03 pm

Whoa. Sarcasm? WTF!!!!!
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 4:05 pm

who else totally wants to go see Marley and Me?
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 4:10 pm

dude, wait for the netflix!
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 6:20 pm

(but that drummer is great).

Just wanted to chime in and agree here. Done!
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 8:40 pm

i like 'em
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 9:07 pm

WATAIN!
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 10:37 pm

wow

people disagree about a band
NO WAY!!!!!!

m.o.t.o.

thanks for nothin, dumb fuck.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 10:43 pm

WATAIN!!!!
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 3:52 am

ROGUE MALE!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 11:29 am

LONER WITH A GONER!!!
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 12:25 pm

I'd rather listen to the Strokes than the Strange Boys.
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 12:31 pm

cuz you're STUPID!
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 12:34 pm

Also: Gay. And old enough to know the difference between "druggy" and "boring."
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 12:52 pm

I'd rather listen to the Strokes than the Strange Boys.

Same here, and I mean it!
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 12:59 pm

good. have fun with your strokes records!
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 1:03 pm

They played here last night and I totally spaced it! Errr...
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 2:02 pm

good. have fun with your strokes records!

I don't have any!!! ?????
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 2:03 pm

id rather not listen to any of that shit. no substance other than the spooge on their faces!
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 1:31 am

Good band, me likes. Although, I've never heard the record. Just the demo and 7"s. Saw them live twice. Good stuff.

Same for Davila 666. Saw them live; loved 'em. Bought their demo, love it. Haven't bought the record yet...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®