Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / SANTA CRUZ, CA
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 10:28 am

any goners there? word on it?
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 10:58 am

My cousin and her husband both teach dance at the college there. I've been to visit. Gorgeous beach. Seals on the pier! Seems like a heaven for a sporty type (surfing, snow boarding and that kind of stuff) Cute town center, small college town vibe. They said there are a couple of venues that get touring acts through -- seemed like a lot of what was on the marquee when I was there the kind of stuff you can expect to see in a hippy town.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 11:05 am

NOBUNNY is playing there at the Crepe Shop on Saturday Dec 6th.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 11:12 am

a good dozen or so vineyards in the santa cruz valley
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 11:40 am

SK8 DERBY PARK! and ride the rollercoaster just like keifer did in LOST BOYS!
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 11:52 am

Went there once or twice. About the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Lots of dredlocks to ruin the scenery.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 11:56 am | Edited by: Adam K

and ride the rollercoaster just like keifer did in LOST BOYS

That's the rollercoaster by the sea that Jonathan Richman sang about too! It was closed when I went there, blah...
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 12:38 pm

My cousin and her husband both teach dance at the college there

You meant to say "his husband", right?
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 1:11 pm

good dozen or so vineyards in the santa cruz valley
indeed

sonnet
david bruce (woo hoo)
naumann
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 1:23 pm | Edited by: jahna

Cabrillo College is where my cousin and her husband teach.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 1:37 pm

hippies
surfers
college students
techies
artichokes
good venues for jazz, folk, world music
world famous Catalyst Club
good weather
swimmable ocean
boardwalk
close to SF, San Joser, Big Sur, altho traffic 'over the hill' to SJ can be brutal
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 3:01 pm

hippies
surfers
college students
techies
artichokes
good venues for jazz, folk, world music
world famous Catalyst Club
good weather
swimmable ocean
boardwalk
close to SF, San Joser, Big Sur, altho traffic 'over the hill' to SJ can be brutal

you forgot scumbags. saw plenty of those last time through.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 3:58 pm

and ride the rollercoaster just like keifer did in LOST BOYS!

HA HA!!!
i was gonna mention the lost boys...you beat me to it!
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 5:28 pm

I lived for 5 years next to the train trestle that the Lost Boys hung from...it crosses the river from the beach cliffs to the Bordwalk (coaster amusement park). My deck's view was the Log Ride...Summer meant sea lions bellowing, screams and rattles from the coaster, the smell of funnel cake and cotton candy, and surfers parking in my spot. Beautiful place, indeed. My biggest complaint, and the reason I didn't stay was that the population was mostly either much older, or much younger than myself. You've got a shit ton of college kids and 20 year olds that grew up there, but are dying to get to the city...mixed with the established, and more well off Baby Boomers. Mountain hippies, street urchins, junkies and crazies crowd out the rest of it. Beats the hell out of Denver, though...
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 6:18 pm

Adventure Hippies!
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 9:06 pm

My hometown! But I haven't lived there in nearly 20 years. It's beautiful in places but the trustfund hippie college kids make it hell on earth. (I took classes at Cabrillo College!) UCSC's mascot is the banana slug and they don't give grades even though it's part of the university system. Set in the redwoods, it's known for its theater (Shakespeare Santa Cruz is a big deal) and marine biology programs. Birkenstocks and patchouli abound.

The downtown used to be really great with gorgeous old buildings and cool boutique shops, great bookstores, several good records stores and a wise assortment of restaurants. After the earthquake in '89 they tore all the cool stuff down. Now it's gentrified and looks like a giant strip mall. Breaks my heart. I've only been there a handful of times to visit in the last few years because every time I visit I get more angry at how much it sucks now.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 9:40 pm

Adventure Hippies!

That's a whole 'nother sonofabitch!
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 10:18 pm

good records stores and a wise assortment of restaurants. After the earthquake in '89 they tore all the cool stuff down.

agreed, except we moved there in 1997 to open Streetlight Records, and it was/is a VERY cool record store...and by the way RIP the 24th St SF Streetlight, due to be closing (after 40-some years) in January...let's hope S'Cruz is not next....
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 10:50 pm

i am so goddamn desperate to escape the cold (and colder) weather that i would put up with adventure hippies. i think i've given up on living in an urban area as long as it's a blue state and warm. fuck this shit.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 10:50 pm

Used to be very cool, now it's waaay expensive, and not so cool.

Townies vs. Slugs.
Great new skatepark and classic Derby.
Dreadlocks and Birkenstocks vs. Skinheads
Silicon Valley suburb.
Sweet waves, Brah!

I was there in '89 for "the big one", it was AWESOME!
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 1:31 am

kevin
santa cruz is not that warm
i guess its warmer than chicago
but if you want warm... think 100 miles further south, where its warm ALL the time AND its not LA
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 2:10 am

thanks, all! man, i am not into the hippie thang. have you ever been hugged by someone wearing patchouli? ugh.

ok, what about san luis obispo?

i met someone recently from mount shasta and have been checking that out. it looks REMOTE. like where you hunker down and stay in.
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 4:04 am

it looks REMOTE
flying saucer depot
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 11:34 am

Streetlight Records
That's right. That Streetlight is great!

santa cruz is not that warm
Cool temps year-round and foggy and freezing in the summertime, like SF.

SLO is another big college town, but not as filled with hippies as Santa Cruz. Lots of rich retirees there.
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 12:02 pm

go to Pittsburgh it's hella warm there!
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 12:17 pm

the Log Ride

* snicker *
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 12:43 pm

by the way RIP the 24th St SF Streetlight, due to be closing

Nooooooooooooooooo
another Amoeba/Amazon victim?

oh well, I could never bear going up there anyway
and having to look at all those golden retreivers....
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 1:00 pm

and by the way RIP the 24th St SF Streetlight, due to be closing (after 40-some years) in January

Bummer. Learned a lot about music at this place. Got a lot of great records too, back in the 80s when they were still cheap. Worked with some great people too.
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 1:41 pm

where its warm ALL the time AND its not LA

thanks tk, last night when i was standing on the balcony smoking in the snow i was actually wondering if such a place existed. i seriously need to focus on a goal.
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 1:46 pm

smoking in the snow

SNOW? what snow? are you even in chicago?
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 1:55 pm

arman, seriously, when was the last time you went outside?
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 1:56 pm

although it looks pretty nice out there right now, i should go out in the sun and soak up some vitamin d. then go to the laundromat and hope they have a washer big enough for my comforter.
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 2:55 pm

VICIOUS MIDGETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 4:13 pm

The amusement park on the beach is great. There is a pretty good used book/record store there. I was there last week and got some rare Michael Moorcock books and my lady got the first Go-Betweens LP and the a Los Microwaves 7" for cheap. If you eat vegetarian/vegan (or even if you don't) the Saturn Cafe is pretty good. Yes there are lots of hippies, but you can get good weed off of them. I usually like to spend a day there if I'm out there, I could see how people wouldn't want to live there.
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 6:09 pm

SAN LUIS OBISPO

the college is cal poly - ag & tech, weird combo
close to pismo beach (yes, it really exists!)
kinda boring but it is the center of the central coast

there are some good wineries in the area -- JLohr!! of paso robles, not far away - its my fave

the weird madonna inn is around there on the 101

mostly, the central coast is really provincial
neither good nor bad, but definitely NOT big city stuff
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 6:26 pm

I was in Santa Cruz last week too. I really like the boardwalk there. We got some beers and just chilled on the beach. Apparently you can have bonfires at night.

My friends who live there definitely bitch about the hippies and jock-ish surfers, even though they both surf and smoke tons of weed themselves.

We had dinner at the Crepe Shop. That place is good and has a cool back patio. That's awesome that Nobunny is playing there!

But I think if you're really looking for someplace that's warm year-round, you're better off looking further down the coast. I moved out here to the Bay Area to escape the east coast winters, but now I'm kinda chilly year-round. Still, it's always good to switch things up now and then.
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 7:42 pm

if you want to be in California and you want to be where its always warm, forget the coast.

there's fog, wind chill, etc...

the valleys are easily 10 - 20 degrees hotter.

if you want to avoid LA, consider Santa Ynez. its grape and horse country (the horse whisperer is between Solvang and Santa Ynez) and there's campy SOLVANG. its always 20 degrees or more warmer there than on the PCH-surroundings.

you'll have neighbors like Bernie Taupin and who's left of Robert Mitchum's family. you can point at Michael Jackson's former amusement park but mostly, you'll be WARM 100% of the time.
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 7:56 pm

Beware of some of the motels by the beach. (They are gross.)
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 8:56 pm

campy SOLVANG
When we lived in CA, we used to go there all the time. My grandmother was a Danish immigrant, and I guess it reminded her of home. If you wanted good traditional Medisterpolse and didn't want to make it yourself, it was your best bet. I loved it when I was a kid, but I have a feeling it's probably changed quite a bit since then.

Grape and horse country--sounds nice.
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 2:32 am

solvang--one of the authors I did publicity for lives there. an old TV star. a really wonderful, classy gentleman of an era long past. *sigh*

california is stumping me with this overarching question:

how much does one need to earn a week after taxes in order to afford a house that costs 2 mil? argh!!

even buying an acre of land costs a wicked fortune. i could tent it for a while on a patch of grass, but not at 500,000 per 1/4 acre! jesus, john muir, can you see the hell you've wrought?
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 9:54 am

VICIOUS MIDGETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap. Thanks for the flashback. I actually dated a guy who was in that band briefly. I mean, I dated him (very) briefly; he was in the band for a while. Ugh! The shame.
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 11:33 am

to afford a house

rents in SF are about $1000+ for a studio, then add on $1000 per bedroom per month

lots cheaper in provincial, boring SLO. not much cheaper in West LA or SilverLake area.

you get what you pay for.
but if you want to buy in foreclosureville (i.e., sprawlville) there's now some bargains to be had
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 12:08 pm

so, thomas friedman's op-ed in today's times led me on a hour's ride down the dark street of the subprime mortgage issue.

but check out this nugget:

In Bakersfield, Calif., a Mexican strawberry picker with an income of $14,000 and no English was lent every penny he needed to buy a house for $720,000.

whoah.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®