Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Report: Man who shared 'Chinese Democracy' to plead guilty, gets 1 year in prison
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 9:30 am

Report: Man who shared 'Chinese Democracy' to plead guilty

The man accused of copyright violations after posting tracks from Guns N' Roses upcoming album--Chinese Democracy--has agreed to plead guilty, according to a published report.

Dave Kravets over at Wired.com reports that Kevin Cogill, 27, confessed to uploading nine songs last summer to his site, Antiquiet and now faces a misdemeanor charge of copyright infringement.

Los Angeles federal prosecutor Craig Missakian told Kravets that Cogill's guilty plea was part of a plea deal that will be entered on December. 8. Last August, Cogill became the first Californian charged under a 3-year-old federal antipiracy law that makes it a felony to distribute unreleased copyright works online.

As part of the deal, Cogill will only face up to one year in prison instead of the five years that a felony conviction could have brought.
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 10:05 am

that's a lot of prison sex just for a stupid album
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 10:09 am

Insane, I mean, this album can't EVEN BE GOOD and this poor schmuck is going to do a year in a federal prison for doing Axl a PR favor.

I bet he gets shanked in his first 3 months.
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 10:21 am

i hope he starts a prison band and all they play are the nine songs from C.D.
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 11:01 am

i hope he starts a prison band and all they play are the nine songs from C.D.

Thats halarious!
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 4:26 pm

Wow, the industry has gone too far. 1 year in prison for posting a shitty ass record that few people even care about.

The prosecutor can rot in hell for this one.
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 5:16 pm

As part of the deal, Cogill will only face up to one year in prison instead of the five years that a felony conviction could have brought.

Yeah, I think I might have read that wrongly the first time around... looks like they are saying that by pleading guilty, he got his charges reduced from felony to misdemeanor.

I wonder if he'll actually do time. Any time at all in prison seems to be too harsh, really.
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 6:54 pm

they should just throw axl rose in jail instead...maybe then he wouldn't be able to make shitty music for awhile...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®