Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / are singles // 7 inches officially $6 now?
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 3:38 pm

to me, this is a pile of shit. at KK/BBQ last week the last fe fi fo fums single (2 songs) = $6. cruising a website today checked out some good bands, but 7 inches = $6. is that fo real? i say 4 bux 4 songs til the day i dizie.
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Well, the cost of making them/putting them out hasn't gone down.
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 4:09 pm

i agree, $6 seems really fucking high. although, i think in the case of mailorder when $6 includes postage, maybe it's not too bad, just because postage is so fucking high now. $6 at a show or in a shop, though? you may as well shell out another $4 for the other 5 inches of vinyl to buy a full length...

i can't help but wonder how much of the price increase is coming from the stupid collectability aspect of 7"s now. i mean, if a press run of 500 copies is going to sell out in month, then half those people go on ebay to sell them to other bozos for $10 or more, why shouldn't the bands and labels get a cut of that...?

that said, i've never put out a record and i have no idea how much the production costs.

that said, part II: if it's the fe-fi-fo-fums record with "you might get me" on it, it's well worth $6.

that said, part III: if it is that record, you could have got it from rob's house records for $4.
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 5:31 pm

Well, a 7" costs around $2 to manufacture, sometimes a little less, sometimes as much as $3.

for the sake of argument, lets say $1000 for a run of 500 = $2/per

If you give the band 75 copies, that ups your per-unit price a little, as 1000/425= $2.35/per

Factor in mailers ($0.61), postage ($1.85) and the unit price goes to $4.81

Add to that the inevitable promo giveaways, and you're lucky to break even at $5.00.

$6.00 is totally reasonable to me.
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 8:29 pm

I don't understand why people equate number of songs with a dollar amount. I have spent $75+ on singles (WITH ONLY TWO SONGS) that I am much happier with then $1 LPs I have bought (THATS LIKE $.05 A SONG TOO!).
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 8:33 pm

they should up the price to $8 ya cheap fucks!
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 8:45 pm

Limited edition vinyl is gay.
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 9:53 pm

They generally range from $3.99-$5.99 in stores, but I've seen people buy import 7"s in the teens.......the Beck/Jay Reatard split is $1.99 at Waterloo...
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 10:06 pm

I don\'t understand why people equate number of songs with a dollar amount. I have spent $75+ on singles

and i bet you only bought it for one song!

Limited edition vinyl is gay.

like people can afford to press 1000+ copies. AS IF!
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 12:55 am | Edited by: dale

Well, a 7" costs around $2 to manufacture, sometimes a little less, sometimes as much as $3.

for the sake of argument, lets say $1000 for a run of 500 = $2/per

If you give the band 75 copies, that ups your per-unit price a little, as 1000/425= $2.35/per

Factor in mailers ($0.61), postage ($1.85) and the unit price goes to $4.81

Add to that the inevitable promo giveaways, and you're lucky to break even at $5.00.

$6.00 is totally reasonable to me.

With mastering, labels, record pressing, getting sleeves printed outside of some cheap ass photocopy job (and if more than two colors) and poly sleeves to put them in....yeah. It's close to 3 bucks wholesale to even break even these day....then factor in the band copies, mailers, postage and promos. Also with color vinyl and what ever other extra doo-dads (inserts, stickers, buttons) there's more nickel and dimes. I don't think most labels are out to make a mad profit off releasing 7inches but wont deny there is that whole aspect of eBay geekdom/comic book nerd shit going on but that's a different tier of the whole ball of wax.
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 4:20 am

40 cents a side is what i heard
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 8:10 am

United pressings raised their prices. It's the price of oil. It has hit everybody on shipping cost.
Record prices in Canada are through the roof. Almost everything is an import 7''=$6 to 10, LPs = $13 to 20. It's mad.
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 1:27 pm

I would have to buy a bigger house if I pressed 1,000 copies instead of 400 copies of a 7" record.

PS, every song ever recorded is on the internet or the Blogosphere so save your $ for important shit like mood enhancers, costumes, and pedicures for your pets.

Peace.
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 1:58 pm

Darn those greedy, price-gouging indie bands! I call for immediate Congressional hearings.
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 2:01 pm

BAIL OUT!
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 2:29 pm

there's a far greater chance of me having $4 in my wallet at the end of the night than some outrageous sum like $6.
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 2:40 pm

It's the price of oil.

As of today, a barrel of crude oil is $57. It peaked at almost $150 back in July. United should lower their prices.
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 2:41 pm

If there is a nice sleeve, I don't mind paying a few extra bucks.
Shit is more expsensive these days ... that's the way it is.
things will never be the same.
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 5:11 pm

fuck it, I'm releasing everything on USB thumb drives left in men's room stalls ala Trent Reznor

surely, it will appeal to the correct demographic
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 5:37 pm

If there is a nice sleeve, I don't mind paying a few extra bucks.

Especially if there's a coupon to download the mp3s too.
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 5:38 pm

All CD's should come with a free LP inside of them.
Posted: Nov 17, 2008 10:10 am

I like $5 - I hate having to make change.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®