Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / R.I.P. Nathaniel Mayer 1944-2008
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 3:18 am

It is with great sadness that we report the passing of our dear friend Nathaniel Mayer. After many months of complications and illnesses following a series of strokes, Nathaniel left us November 1, 2008. He will always be in our hearts.

As soon as funeral arrangements have been made we will post the information here.

from http://www.myspace.com/nathanielmayer
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 4:04 am

Damn!! Rest In Peace, Nay Dog!
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 7:26 am

God fucking damn. RIP Nathaniel :(
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 8:30 am

RIP
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 8:32 am

Ah, shit.
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 8:34 am

R.I.P. NAT!
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 8:55 am

RIP

:-(
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 9:15 am

aww r.i.p

saw him 3 times here in ottawa...always a blast, a great entertainer
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 9:30 am

no!
dammit.
RIP, nate
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 9:49 am

the thing with two heads loves nay dog l.a.m.f.

i played the "i had a dream" 45 at our halloween party.

we both had the great pleasure of seeing him perform a couple times and meeting him in nyc.

he put on a better show in modern times than any of the old gaurd.

this would be the time for womb raider to step in with his pic of nay dog and the hot dog (which i can't find on google).

r.i.p. mr. mayer
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 9:56 am

This really bums me out.
One of the BEST voices ever.
One of the best moments of my life was talking with Nate
about how he used to be roomates with Nolan Strong back in the day.
RIP!
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 10:22 am

I recorded him at the bar, I'll try to up it in a few days

he was awesome.
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 10:24 am

a true wild man til the end.

I'll never forget Ponderosa Stomp & his refusal to come off stage.

RIP Nathaniel Mayer.

WHOAH! WHAT A DREAM!
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 11:09 am

Nay Dog in full effect on Dave the Spazz's program on Jan. 1, '04:

http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/9990

Thanks for the good times, Nate! I'll be seeing you.
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 11:16 am | Edited by: The Driver

his refusal to come off stage

It's that very aspect of his personality that had me thinking he'd never take leave (despite the obvious).

R.I.P.
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 11:34 am

I am super fucking bummed on this.
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 1:35 pm

We are losing too many R&B icons.
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 1:45 pm

It's a sad day
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 1:53 pm

The world shakes when the Dog is let out of the pen. I love Nathaniel, and my life is way richer for some of that QUALITY time he shared with me. Only solace I can find is that he is no longer caged in that recovery bed for month, after painful, month. You can't keep a good dog like Nate in for long.
WOOF! & Bow wow. Thank you, Oscar Hucklebee, for not only the unbelievably great music, performances, but for sharing great times with us, and adding so much to our lives. WE MISS YOU, and shall never forget that education you left us with.

so nice to read how many had the pleasure...
HAVE A DREAM!
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 2:02 pm

Great voice, great inspiration. R.I.P.
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 3:28 pm

Never got to see him play, argh! RIP! Love & Affection!
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 5:10 pm

I was just looking at Norton's site, featuring a photo of Rudy Ray Moore with Nathaniel Mayer. What a crappy fall ! R.I.P.
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 9:52 pm

This is very disappointing to here. Sad sad news.

I was just looking at Norton's site, featuring a photo of Rudy Ray Moore with Nathaniel Mayer. What a crappy fall ! R.I.P.

This has been a rough year. Bo, Ike, Isac, Nathaniel, Rudy...
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 10:02 am

Fond memories of partyin' with the great Nay Dog. I can't believe it'll never happen again. Condolences & love to his family.
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 10:23 am

This has been a rough year. Bo, Ike, Isac, Nathaniel, Rudy...

And not just musicians. Studs Terkel just the other day. In the words of the Possum, "who's gonna fill their shoes?" I look around and people today look lame in comparison. Cool people dyin' off, only lame people remain to replace 'em. Some folks better step up to the plate and start kicking ass.
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 12:05 pm

Yeah, and thanks to all the younger musicians who made sure Nay could show us all one more time.
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 3:11 pm

One of my favorite Nathaniel stories (and there's plenty, as anyone who spent time with him well knows) posted by Big Sandy on Nay Dog's myspace page...

I'm so very sad to hear this.

I had the great fortune to hang out with Nate on a few occasions, but I'll never forget when our paths first crossed at The Ottawa Blues Festival. I was on stage performing with my band when I spotted a nattily dressed gentleman in the crowd grooving to the music. I leaned over to my guitar player and said "man, I think that's Nathaniel Mayer"...and it was!

As it turned out, Nathaniel had wandered away from from his stage on the other end of the festival grounds right before he was due to begin performing, sending his handlers on a frantic search. When they finally tracked him down at our stage, they whisked him away to get his show started.

After our set was finished, we hustled over to Nat's stage to catch the last half of his (amazing) performance. He pulled me backstage after his show, gave me a hug, offered me a beer... and I'd made a new friend. I told him that we were set to appear on the Conan O'Brien show in a few days and he asked me to write down the details so that he could "watch in on it". "Man, you gotta give me a little signal when you're on TV... give me one of those "Carol BAR-NETT" things" he added as he tugged on his ear, referring to the famous Carol Burnett gesture.

Well, I did give him that little signal and it's there for all the world to see on YouTube... errr, well, it is sometimes, anyway.... NBC and YouTube move swiftly to remove unofficial "Late Night" clips.

RIP Nathaniel... your music will move me forever.

thanks for the beer,
Big Sandy
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 3:52 pm

I thought of you, Driver when I saw this yesterday.

RIP
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 4:13 pm

oh my
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 4:55 pm | Edited by: Rich Balls

Here are all of Nathaniel Mayer's records
http://www.sendspace.com/file/cyjti4

Click where it says "download link"
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 6:43 pm

RIP
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 9:07 pm

NO FUCKING WAY!
All you lucky bastards and bastardettes who got to see him of late better appreciate it. R.I.P.
Posted: Nov 4, 2008 10:39 am

I was actually in touch w/ Fat Possum a few years back about getting him up to the NW ... they were concerned about his health even then.
Thought I'd finally get my chance to see him @ last year's Ponderosa Stomp, but he wasn't able to make it again due to health problems & had to cancel ...
R.I.P. Nay-Dog!!!
Posted: Nov 4, 2008 4:15 pm

RIP
One of the greats!
Posted: Nov 4, 2008 8:02 pm

I'll never forget Ponderosa Stomp & his refusal to come off stage.

One of the greatest sets I've ever seen.

All you lucky bastards and bastardettes who got to see him of late better appreciate it

Oh, I do, I do...that's why I fly down to N.O. every year whether I can afford it or not...gotta experience these folks before they're gone

RIP you crazy dude
Posted: Nov 4, 2008 8:19 pm | Edited by: Rich Balls

I saw Nate play at a car-wash in Detroit with Jack Oblivian back in 02 or '03, Nate's record release party.
it fucking RULED!!!!
Posted: Nov 4, 2008 9:00 pm

The Car Wash on Jefferson? That show was insane!
Posted: Nov 4, 2008 9:34 pm

Yeah! The Car Wash Cafe!
Posted: Nov 5, 2008 7:00 pm

Thursday Nov 6
REMEMBERING RUDY RAY MOORE AND NATHANIEL MAYER
WFMU Music to Spazz By with Dave the Spazz Tune in 8 - 11PM for a double-barrel tribute to these soul legends, great friends, superb guys and true stars. Rudy Ray passed away on Oct 19, Nathaniel less that two weeks later on November 1. Norton's Billy Miller joins Dave the Spazz in spinning records, taking calls, and playing airchecks from past in-studio visits with Dolemite and Nay-Dog. Nathaniel Mayer's memorial service is slated for Tuesday, Nov. 11 at Swanson Funeral Home, 806 East Grand Avenue, Detroit MI 48207. Family hour will be from noon until 1 PM, and the funeral is at 1 PM. The telephone number for Swanson's is (313) 923-1122. Donations can be sent directly to the funeral home. Make sure to indicate on the check that it is for Nathaniel's funeral expenses. Info below about the Nathaniel Mayer tribute show, slated for Nov. 30.

Sunday Nov 30
NATHANIEL MAYER TRIBUTE AND BENEFIT A benefit to help with funeral expenses has been organized by many of Nay Dog's friends, relatives, fans and fellow musicians. Gino Washington, Black Murda, Cody Black, Kenny Martin, Ultimate Ovation and many others. Danny Dollrod, Mick Collins and Mike Hurtt will be performing as well. Mr. Fine Wine and Brad Hales will be spinning records. Stay tuned for details.

-Norton Records
Posted: Nov 12, 2008 5:03 pm

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 4:25 pm

be porin some juice fo ya gramps.

yo, I'm out fools
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 8:22 am | Edited by: The Driver

Nathaniel Mayer Tribute
Sunday November 30
Northern Lights Lounge, Detroit
Posted: Jan 9, 2010 9:56 am

Nay Dog in full effect on Dave the Spazz's program on Jan. 1, '04:

http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/9990

Still unbelievable.

RIP Nate!
Posted: Jan 9, 2010 11:12 am

Still have a hard time registering the simple fact, he's gone and aint coming back.

RIP
Posted: Jan 9, 2010 3:18 pm

I agree. RIP.
Posted: Jan 9, 2010 10:49 pm

I wish Dick Clark would release the footage of him playing on American Bandstand. I'd love to see video of him back in the Fortune days. That is likely the only video of any of the Fortune soul guys (Andre, Nolan, Nate) - when they were young, that is.
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 8:35 pm

Nay Dog in the 80s!

Thanks to June Gibbons / Hezekiah Redbone Abdullah for the tip.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®