Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / I never get tired of Dolby Noise Reduction
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 12:01 pm

not true. that shit be killin' my treblefest!
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 12:03 pm

Makes eveything sound like it was recorded by Sandy Pearlman.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 12:09 pm

Do you prefer Type A or Type B? They should make a button that puts extra Noise in!
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 12:14 pm

What about Surround Sound? Have there been any worthwhile rock recordings produced with this process to date? Personally, I have no way of listening to them, but it's been around long enough now that there must be some interest in it.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 12:19 pm

Back to Quad!
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 12:19 pm

Sub Pop loves it!
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 12:21 pm

Have there been any worthwhile rock recordings produced with this process to date?

No.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 12:40 pm

Back to Quad!

I remember seeing those records when I was a kid. Didn't you have to have a special record player with two needles to play them?
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 12:42 pm

Well, that's what I imagined at the time.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 3:08 pm

They should make a button that puts extra Noise in!

It's called "detaching the grounding wire".
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 5:07 pm

ever play your stereo through a distortion pedal?

does not sound great.

delay works, though...
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 5:12 pm

delay works, though...

If you want all your records to sound like U2. No thanks! Gimmie Noise.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 6:05 pm

space echo? super reverb? my delay/sampler thing makes am radio pretty psychodelic...
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 6:47 pm

Back when we used to take a lot of psychedelics, we put the TV sound through the stereo in my friends room through a delay pedal that we controlled. And likewise, he had the sound from his TV through the stereo in our room through a delay pedal that he controlled. We were watching one channel and he was watching another. after a while, the sound perfectly matched what we were seeing.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 6:53 pm

Only once have I ever used a tape deck where the Dolby actually worked properly - that is, everything sounded unnaturally trebly and harsh with the Dolby off. It was my old NAD which has since bitten the dust.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 7:03 pm

yeah, we just thought DOLBY meant bad.

same with cromium dioxide tapes...
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 7:05 pm

Metal Bias or Bust.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 9:48 pm

cromium dioxide

were great. really.

Metal Bias

SUCKED. REALLY. BAD.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 11:26 pm

Don't you mean Dubly??
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 12:23 am

okay, yeah, METAL BIAS!

the name sounds so good... the tapes sounded so bad.

you're right, chromium dioxide actually were good.

i gotta re-school myself on cassette culture.

BLANK DOGS!
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 7:50 am

my delay/sampler thing makes am radio pretty psychodelic...
Shaun A
Member Posted: Oct 30, 2008, 6:47 pm

are you crazings? am radio is already psyched out. just tune it to a non-station. and if you're in your car, park it and fiddle with the fader and balance.
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 7:51 am

HIGH BIAS= HIGH FIVE!
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 12:13 pm

You're supposed to record with it enabled and then playback with it enabled. If you playback a tape that wasn't recorded with Dolby, then it will sound like shit. Ditto if you playback a Dolby without Dolby enabled. Basically, it was early compression of the higher ranges. Total gimmick for the home but great for film.

Yawn.
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 12:24 pm

I never left cassette culture. I got a closet full. Bought a ton for $1.99 when Tower was closing. Great stuff like Johnny Cash Live at Fulsom Prison, Howlin Wolf, Robert Johnson, KC and The Sunshine Band, The Monkees. Sound great on my Boombox. Now if I only had a Space Echo to play it through...
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 12:34 pm

exactly. KC & Sunshine band takes on a whole new dimension!
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 1:08 pm | Edited by: The Troll

A crazy roommate I had would play shit through a flanger on my stereo. He was from Hawaii too and prone to panic attacks (data included merely for any correlation). He ate a lot of creamed corn and ramen mixed together. He cried when I moved out with the television. Fucker never touched my Dolby A button but did manage to scratch a few of my records when using them as candleholders. See, now you made me remember. I hated that guy!
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 3:46 pm

diah rhea has a fuckin' reverb amp component from the 70's and she left it at some dudes house and i wanna steal that bad ass shit. in fact, i think this is what she got right here.
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 8:30 pm

ultimate stereo fx Mechanism

Sansui Reverberation
Posted: Nov 1, 2008 11:33 am

that's what i posted! goner rhea has one. it rules.
Posted: Nov 1, 2008 11:50 am

chromium dioxide actually were good.

I still buy those for my car!

Back to Quad!

Still have the quadrophonic Deep Purple LP Machine Head which sounded amazing. That quadrophonic stereo (?) gave up on me long time ago though.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®