Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / TN skinhead plot to assassinate barack obama?
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 3:18 pm

just heard this on MSNBC!
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 3:30 pm

I get so nervous about this. Sometimes I look at him on the stump and wonder if he's wearing a vest.
I almost wish they wouldn't publicize this. I think it's a huge "elephant in the room", but maybe one that needs ignoring.
Especially one like this, that doesn't have any basis in reality. It was in "the planning stages".
As one who can remember all the assasinations (and attempted assasinations) since the 60s it's a horror I don't even want to comtemplate. Especially not for Obama. I mean, with the nomination I'm actually feeling somewhat optimistic about race relations in this country.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Hopefully, the Secret Service will buy him a "Popemobile" type of thing...Assasination is my biggest fear.
I've lived through JFK, MLK and RFK and they were all horrible events I'll never forget...but if anything happens to Obama, I'm afraid I'll just give up on humanity all together.
The Republicans and talk show hosts have demonized Obama and I'm afraid one of their chickens is heading home to roost.
Lord God Almighty I hope I'm wrong...
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 3:37 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27405681/
yeah, it is anticlimactic. and I agree with you 100%, Alisa.

I was born 9 1/2 months after MLK's assassination (weird -- I never realized that before) but don't ever wanna see anything similar on this soil.

but sometimes late at night I wind up on that storm front website and it totally creeps me out...
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 3:41 pm

my sentiments exactly, Golightly. I've lived through them all, too, and it's a horrible, horrible thing.
Especially troubling is this last go round of "Marxist", "terrorist" shit. I hate Sarah Palin (and McCain to a lesser degree) for giving any loose nut the ammunition. Maybe literally.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 3:42 pm

I brought this up on here months ago (granted, in a slightly more cynical tone) and was called a retard and a racist by more than one schmohawk.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 3:45 pm

I probably didn't respond to that because I'm scared to death of it.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 3:49 pm

Sarah, you actually brought up the Obama death pool, which I think is in incredibly sick taste (the pool itself, not necessarily you for posting about it). and I'm someone who saw GG Allin in my day!
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 3:59 pm

and RFK

I learned about horrible irony at a way too young age. The last words of Bobby's speech were "It's on to Chicago, and let's win there!!" That's still my quote when things are really, really fucked up.
We watched that speech that night, late at night. I guess they had some kind of special coverage of it. I was so excited, as I was weaned on politics literally from the cradle. The next thing I knew he was bleeding in the kitchen.
I was a very young girl, and really, have never gotten over it. Especially since it came on the heels of MLK and, as a Memphian, I (and my city) has never gotten over that. I still can't go into the National Civil Rights Museum, although all my out of town guests are floored by it. I just stand outside and cry.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 4:05 pm

okay, Sarah -- just revisited your Obama assassination pool post -- you actually picked a date... in my mind, not cool but we can agree to disagree.

that said, watching msnbc now -- these swastika-wielding skinheads that just got busted sound pretty stupid. doubt it could've actually happened. apparently they planned to kill 100 African American students then don white tails and top hats?!?! and speed toward Obama guns blazing all the way...
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 4:10 pm

I just heard this too on MSNBC. See, this crap shouldn't even be reported. Or, maybe it's okay to report it if pretty stupid. doubt it could've actually happened. apparently they planned to kill 100 African American students then don white tails and top hats?!?! and speed toward Obama guns blazing all the way...
There is a good percentage of idiots in every town in the USA. I just pray to god that they're not incited to riot by loose lips that sink ships.
I wouldn't take this at all seriously, but for the lesson of Columbine, and how a couple of disgruntled kids can cause so much damage.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 4:14 pm

I will conceed a slight gambling problem and a deranged sense of humor, but dumb racist, no ma'am.

On the local, online report of this bust, there was an ad to find out your ancestry by DNA. Perhaps so that all the louisiana skinheads that read the article have the opportunity to find out just how aryan they really are.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 4:17 pm

the commercial appeal says their hearing is thursday right here in memphis: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/oct/27/mid-south-men-charged -threats-obama/?partner=RSS

and next week, the storm front group are having their big meeting in town... same time as COGIC...

yeah Sarah I don't think you're racist. I just don't think it's that funny -- different sense of humor is all.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 4:41 pm

I'm actually feeling somewhat optimistic about race relations in this country.

Make that "on this planet"!! How awesome would it be to have someone in office that garners respect for people of color (certainly NOT the minority globally), instead of a redneck embarrassment? Use the 700 billion for a skinhead island? But I guess it's no fun to have an island when you have no one to hate and plot assassinations on...
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 4:46 pm

this story made me ill. on the bright side, at least these two guys were stupid enough to discuss it in a way where they were caught way before anyone was hurt.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 5:11 pm

uggh. today is getting worse.

http://gawker.com/5069509/violent-racists-reverend-wright-make-late-ca mpaign-cameos

go here to watch footage of a palin rant from saturday -- at 40 seconds in, some lady shouts "he's a n#%*er." palin, of course, doesn't address the slur, just as she let comments like "hang him" go by a few weeks ago.

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 5:13 pm

i had pretty much pushed any intital fears about this out of my mind, but the closer we get to the reality of a president Obama, and of course the news of this plot, it does worry me a little. on the bright side, i have a really hard time believing that anyone (or group) with any real economic or political power has any interest in seeing this carried out - which probably wasn't the case 40, 50, 60 years ago. hopefully the worst to contend with are drooling inbreds and st0rm fr0nt pussies. the likelihood of their ilk actually pulling this off is right around nil i'd imagine
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 6:01 pm

"It's on to Chicago, and let's win there!!" That's still my quote when things are really, really fucked up.
........ as a Memphian, I (and my city) has never gotten over that. I still can't go into the National Civil Rights Museum, although all my out of town guests are floored by it. I just stand outside and cry.

Ditto on the quote for me Alisa.

Re: Lorraine Motel/Assassination site/museum --- When I mentioned on here that I just about threw up when I turned the corner and saw that on a visit to Memphis, i got the sense it was a generational thing and anybody who didn't witness those events in '68 couldn't understand my objection to the entire complex.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 6:13 pm

I don't object to the museum; I'm not Jacqueline Smith inclined. I think it's perfectly proper that the site was made into a memorial/museum. And, I've heard great, great things about it from many people I know and love. Hell, I think it's a righteous thing that that's what it became.

But I just can't do it. I would love to go through it, but STILL cannot get past the parking lot. Who wants to see some middle aged white woman sobbing uncontrollably in front of the exhibits? Not what the COC had in mind, I'm sure.
A couple of years ago I took the Canadians down for Gonerfest. We were ALL floored to see some Europeans posing in front of the Cadillacs and smiling like tourists. Maybe it's too close to the bone for me, but I don't think it's a smiling-in-front-of-the-attraction-tourist-attraction. For me, in Memphis, it's deadly serious. Deadly. Serious.

Glad to know that you know what I'm talking about with "on to Chicago", Jesse Garon. Possibly the saddest quote in American history. For me, at least.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 6:22 pm

I'm not Jacqueline Smith inclined
So you prefer Kate Jackson, then? That's cool.

I think the museum is a great idea. There are a lot of museums on sites where horrific acts occurred. I can see why it would be tough to visit, especially for a local resident.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 6:42 pm

well, I couldn't tour the concentration camps either.
and couldn't understand why anybody would want to

guess I'm a wussy.

I did talk w/Ms. Smith when I was there. I don't think she's got the only take on the whole thing.
I saw busloads of blond kids bouncing around down there, it didn't really come off like the Lincoln Memorial or something

also, why preserve the assassin's roost?
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 6:54 pm

"Both individuals stated they would dress in all white tuxedos and wear top hats during the assassination attempt,

well, at least they have a flair for the dramatic...jesus...
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 7:00 pm

also, why preserve the assassin's roost?

I've always thought that was pretty bloodthirsty...or maybe money thirsty from the people who owned that building then. I thought the blue laser showing the projection was just horrible...in awful "taste".
Still, I'm way interested in history, and I guess that's part of it. But not to my taste.

I'll go as far as to say that no-one who goes through the museum (who wasn't a Memphian) knows what it was like to live in Memphis then. I was lucky...my family wasn't OVERTLY racist...though we had maids, yardmen, etc. My grandma (who I lived with) referred to them all as "nigras". Our maid called us that night and told us to leave..."They're burning the town down, Miz Grace".
Hard to reconcile civil rights with that, but I guess that's what it was.

I love Obama because (besides the policy agreements) his nomination is sort of a culmination of the "I have a dream" ideals. I'm sure I'm not the only middle aged white woman who feels like this. I totally believe in the politics of MLK, and am overtly frightened that he will be gunned down too because of my first hand experience.
I'm overly sensitive here, but Christ, I've lived through JFK, MLK and RFK and they were all horrible events I'll never forget...but if anything happens to Obama, I'm afraid I'll just give up on humanity all together.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 7:55 pm | Edited by: paristheatre

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 7:57 pm

^probably the worst I've seen thus far.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 10:11 pm | Edited by: saispas

But I just can't do it. I would love to go through it, but STILL cannot get past the parking lot.

I think the museum is a great idea.

I honestly think the refusal of Memphians to enter the Civil Rights Museum is somewhat akin to the same refusal of many of the same Memphians to ever go to Graceland. It took me years to go to Graceland and the only reason I finally went is because I was dragged there by some NYC-er's and they paid. It always made me sick to my stomach even thinking about that place.

I have no real aversion to the Civil Rights Museum, but if you grew up here and have memories of that time or you have heard your family's memories of That Day, there is this true vicarious traumatization that makes it someplace to avoid. At least that is how I feel about it.

And yes, I woke up this morning worried about Obama. I had not really been worried about it before but now that it truly looks like he will be elected, I really hope they can keep him safe. All this awful John Lennon shit comes to mind.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 10:55 pm

the story freaked me out and i have conjectured from time to time when some idiots would attempt to assassinate obama.

i have a similar feeling (or had - since its gone now) about the ambassador hotel in LA where RFK was slain. two former co-workers of mine were there at the time and actually appear in photos in newspapers.... must have been the most surreal thing to have witnessed. they're both incredibly politicized and quite active still in grass roots stuff - i'm pretty sure because they saw RFK go down.

had to promote a rock show at the ambassador and felt both uncomfortable and dishonorable walking through the hotel's kitchen with people who didn't think about the footsteps we were tracing

at least memphis made a memorial of the lorraine. the ambassador is gone and it very well could have been made into a west coast memorial for all the stupid assassinations of 1968 and also JFK and kennedy legacy.

when it goes away, people who weren't born yet have NOTHING to grasp. that's why history repeats itself.

it truly looks like he will be elected

and that's why W sent special ops to attack syria and his daddy put in a call to opec, i'm sure....
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 11:29 pm

Say hello to president Biden....unfortunately, i think it's only a matter of time.

The southern right wing kooks will NEVER get over this if Obama is the prez...

you know it.
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 12:06 pm

had to promote a rock show at the ambassador and felt both uncomfortable and dishonorable walking through the hotel's kitchen with people who didn't think about the footsteps we were tracing

ugh. you should get a promoter's medal "beyond the call of duty" for that.
i feel bad they tore the Ambassador down but only because the architecture was fairly unique and so "LA". But LA is full of places like that, which are going going gone.
would you lie in front of the bulldozer if they tore down the Whisky?
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 12:52 pm

i'm scared to death that it will happen.

when it goes away, people who weren't born yet have NOTHING to grasp. that's why history repeats itself.

very true. very, very, very true.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 3:11 pm

Yeah it was shown on NYC local news. and I just thought to my self... "oh tennessee why are you giving us such a bad name" I mean that other gal that claimed that she was attacked by an obama suporter cause of her mccain sticker was also wearing a Vols shirt on all the news stations.

I just hope that the airing of this mess wont cause others to copy cat this. Iv been with you all about fearing for obama's life. He is too good to loose. But we should all be prepared. I think thats what Sarah ment with her pool post. I hope he is wearing a vest, and I wouldnt mind if my tax dollars went to the Obama-mobile. Lets not make the same mistakes.

And as far as those two kids go, one was from tennessee and the other was from arkansas so you have to think that they were probley really close to memphis. There plan was pretty stupid though. White tuxes and top hats?.... Really??
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 3:25 pm

You people are crazy. Times have changed. I was sitting in front of the TV in 1968 when they announced MLK was assasinated. He was talking about heavy spiritual stuff. O'Bama is just another politician. He poses no threat to anybody except The Rethuglicans. And the SS is far more efficient these days what with technology and all.
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 9:53 am

Those kids weren't skinheads they were Juggalos!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®