bazooka joe and tacotamale backing him here
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 12:05 pm

bbc
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 12:06 pm

I love me some Nilsson
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 12:19 pm

nilsson schmilsson is neve far from my turntable
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 12:56 pm | Edited by: greg O

I had a jacket with a hand painted picture of Nilsson when I was in high school. Not a very popular look to sport. He's my hero and maybe the greatest white scatter that ever lived. Great to see that live footage. thanks! Anybody know the scoop on how he died. I remember hearing that shortly after his death there was an earthquake and his casket disappeared into a casm or something.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 1:03 pm

his death was certainly related to diabetes

(and REAL hard partying...)
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 1:09 pm

love him. greg, you have to dig out that jacket!
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 1:14 pm

love him too.
nilsson schmilsson is neve far from my turntable
me either, and Nilsson sings Newman.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 1:17 pm

i recently heard that album he and Lennon did from that Lost weekend, Pussy Cats. The first side! But more specifically, that cover of Subterranean Home Sick Blues! That bass!
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 1:25 pm

"The Most Beautiful World in the World" is one of the most amazing things I have ever heard.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 2:28 pm

I had a jacket with a hand painted picture of Nilsson when I was in high school. Not a very popular look to sport. He's my hero and maybe the greatest white scatter that ever lived. Great to see that live footage. thanks! Anybody know the scoop on how he died. I remember hearing that shortly after his death there was an earthquake and his casket disappeared into a casm or something.

That's the best thing I've heard all day! (the jacket part...)
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 4:21 pm

I've been waiting for 2 years to see this supposed Nilsson documentary. I heard it would be out in a couple of months. That was 2006.

"Who Is Harry Nilsson?"
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 4:24 pm

Not really a Randy Newman fan but I love the "Nilsson Sings Newman" album.

Allow me to present "Teledildonics5000 Sings Nilsson."
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 4:26 pm

I know the doc played in several markets, Seattle being one of them. It might be a good idea to check with the Black Lodge dudes and see if they can get a line on it.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 4:26 pm

I've been waiting for 2 years to see this supposed Nilsson documentary

Me too...wtf?
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 4:29 pm

wtf?
Let's raise some hell!!! Nothin' more scary than a bunch of angry Nilsson fans.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 4:35 pm

Greg -- I don't remember that jacket -- guess when I met you, you were already into the Misfits phase! oh, to be nostalgic about the days of Memphis Comics... P.S. I love Nilsson too, and Fred Neil, esp when this wonderful October fall weather sets in.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 4:37 pm

There's also this studio doc:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cefnRiGfSZ0
My favorite song of late is The Bath song off Aerial Ballet. Oh yes I'm beginning to think there's hope for the human race.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 4:39 pm | Edited by: Buck Wilders

The Moonbeam Song featuring Lennon is so comfortably haunting.

I use to have a Moody Blues leather vest that I would only wear on Tuesday Afternoons.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 4:44 pm

and Fred Neil, esp when this wonderful October fall weather sets in.

yes

yes

yes

and don't forget other autumnal artists:

Joni (Blue)
Dusty (Memphis)
Lee Hazelwood (everything)
second band lp
terry callier (all)
beau brummels bradley's barn
neil gold rush
otis blue
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 4:47 pm

tim buckley too, and the byrds and the reigning sound and even the vastly overplayed nick drake makes for the perfect leaf-changing soundtrack.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 4:49 pm | Edited by: michael baker

tim buckley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes

and my fave david ackles
and richard thompson solo
chris bell

and yes drake

would a night of blue/buckley/ackles/drake make me want to jump though?
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 4:56 pm

lemme add Dylan's New Morning to that list
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 5:01 pm

i was going to put john wesley but i will defer to yr wisdom
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 6:52 pm

"You're breakin' my heart
You're tearin' it apart
So fuck you"

there you go; I love myself some Nilsson too and perhaps one day will remember to get The Point on DVD, as I've only ever heard the record
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 7:14 pm

Dude! I never even heard of this guy until yesterday when I was looking up on a sample, then I found out it was "Rainmaker". Funky intro, the rest of the song's pretty good too.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 8:42 pm

you're not the only cuddly toy!!!
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 2:42 am

autumnal artists
Vince Guaraldi Trio! Keith Mansfield too!
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 11:35 am

I'm always on a Harry Nilsson kick. My mom was a huge fan when I was a kid, and I inherited her love for him.

He had one of the most amazing voices and a great sense of humor. He claims the crown for master of the bittersweet melody in my book.

Greg - J. Floyd and I were on a roadtrip a few years ago, and had a long discussion about how you ought to one day cover Nilsson. I can't remember which one we picked for you though. Maybe it was "Jump into the Fire?" So get on that, aight?
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 12:17 pm

Remember is so beautiful...as well as his version of Over The Rainbow
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 1:01 pm

autumnal artists

It's been a lot about Townes Van Zandt when raking leave and other outside winterization chores
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 4:55 am

I never even heard of this guy until yesterday when I was looking up on a sample, then I found out it was "Rainmaker".

Beatnuts!!!
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 10:31 am

nashville skyline too -- girl from the north country just doesn't work in the summertime.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 11:16 am

Man, I heard "Night Moves" on the radio yesterday, and thought I was going to have an autumnal nostalgia breakdown. I had to sit in the parking lot of Walgreens and collect myself!
(dorkorama!)
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 11:33 am

"Jump Into the Fire" !
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 11:38 am | Edited by: Golightly

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 3:54 pm

You're breakin my heart so fuck you.
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 3:55 pm

thats a from Son of Schmilson, im not tellin anyone to fuck off.
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 3:03 pm | Edited by: greg O

Yeah, I had a misfits jacket later. In retrospect, it was not as cool as the Nilsson. I also look inside every Son of Schmilsson LP jacket I come across. It came with a free Nilsson iron on. suprisingly its usually still there and it's also usually a dollar record. It's nice to know when my Nilsson t-shirt wears out I can instantly have another one. I currently have three back-up iron ons. And a pile of schmilsson records.
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 3:17 pm

thats one of the first songs i heard that had the word "fuck" in it.
"you stepped on my ass, your breakin my glasses too.."
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®