TheOperator
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 6:39 am

What songs beat out the originals?
april n
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 6:57 am

louie louie
honkey kong
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 7:00 am

christine is a fo sho, at least for me. ummm, i like what mick collins did with ode to a black man, as well as alot of john lee hooker songs, tho they may not beat the originals, they definetely add something. persuaders first time, swamp rats psycho, mummies she lied, stronger than dirt, hahaha 7 seconds 99 red balloons hahaha (i dont think that ones in the garagepunk guide) clone defects did a good cover of tropically hot, reatards bummer bitch isnt better but still an honorable mention... shit theres too many and im drunk... how about covers that suck... anything by george thoroughbad... i really like oblivians version of dearest darling, motorcycle leather boy (who did it first, obliv or g wolf???) ummm, cramps did some good covers...
honkey kong
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 7:03 am

rip offs shadow, i got a great vid yesterday of radio birdman doing tv eye... teengenerate wild weekend and savage are great covers,,,,,,,,,,,....... gasoline do a good noone can tell us, for that matter the mummies also know how to cover the pack... anyone cover the diodes??? catholic boys do a good takin the city by storm...
honkey kong
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 7:06 am

dead boys little girl... the sex pistols did some good covers, steppin stone, no fun, and watcha gonna do come to mind... nirvanas mollys lips and love buzz kill the originals (to me... also not in the garagepunk coolness guide) oblivians trio covers kill, natch... vietnam war blooze!!!!
honkey kong
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 9:19 am

aint it fun when you know that yer gonna die young... its such fun...
BigKegShandy
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 2:04 pm

The ultimate hard luck choices would hafta be between such gems as:

*Hanging On The Telephone - Nerves vs. Blondie
*Slow Death - 'Groovies vs. Dictators
*Gimmie Shelter - 'Stones vs. Merry Clayton
*Come See Me - JJ Jackson vs. The Pretty Things

Believe it or not, the Reigning Sound's cover of The Carpetbaggers' Let Yourself Go knocks the original outta the ballpark, basically cos they play it at the 'right' speed ... oh, another prop for Cartwright is the 'Gamblers' version of Nolan Strong's Your Happiness, cos the original is WELL wonky, in true Fortune Records stylee ...

SinglesGoingSteady
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 3:03 pm

Dolls version of "Pills" adds alot to Bo's, I'm sorry but I find the Dolls version alot cooler. They also re-worked alot of older stuff on "Too Much Too Soon" really well......

Johnny Burnette and The Yardbirds both cover "Train Kept A' Rollin'" in alot more rockin' fashion than the original, says I. Of course The Johnny Burnette Trio do the superior version, really....I'm not saying the original isn't cool to listen, I'm just saying they obviously rock it up.

On that same note, alot of Big Joe Turner stuff was done in more rockin' style than his originals, Billy Haley being one example. Again, not better, but def. different.....same with "Hound Dog" and alot of other 50's rock standards/covers of old r-n-b shit.

I guess I wouldn't say any of these BEAT OUT the originals by any means, but they certainly took a different take..

SinglesGoingSteady
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 3:18 pm

ok, Plugz version of "La Bamba" rocks ten times harder than the Richie Valens one, sorry.....

Dickies "Paranoid", "Eve of Destruction", and various others.....

Angry Samoans "Somebody to Love"

AC/DC's "Baby, Please Don't Go"

Ramones- "Do You Wanna Dance", "Let's Dance", ect. al....their "Surfin Bird" and "California Sun" don't compare, though...

Devo's "Satisfaction" was a big improvement to me, but that could never be dublicated, and both songs pretty much rock in two totally different ways....

judge
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 5:05 pm

Disagree on the Big Joe tip. Man had pipes. Any cover is just an exercise in tempo.
SAMBEAUX
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 5:18 pm

Dirty White was trying to tell me the other day that the Oblivians did a Joy Division cover... Eric, Greg, this true?
Arturo
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 6:37 pm

Ugly Kid Joe-"Cats In The Cradle"
Claude Zachary
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 7:47 pm

Jack O. - 2000 Man.
Hell, when I got Dynasty as a 8 year old I though it was a Kiss song and I thought it was a killer Kiss song. I actually like The Stones, Kiss, and Jack O. versions, but I'd go w/ the Jack O version if I had to pick.
Claude Zachary
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 7:49 pm

Jack O. - 2000 Man.
Hell, when I got Dynasty as a 8 year old I though it was a Kiss song and I thought it was a killer Kiss song. I actually like The Stones, Kiss, and Jack O. versions, but I'd go w/ the Jack O version if I had to pick.
red eyed willie
Posted: Sep 24, 2004 10:46 pm

Fireworks - "50 Megatons" & "Gimme another shot"

Naz Nomad & the Nightmares - "kicks"

The Sonics - "Do you love me"

Jerry Lee Lewis - "Money" from "Live at the Star Club" LP.

Husker Du - "Sunshine Superman"

Flat Duo Jets - "Sing Sing Sing" (not better really, but all that from a two piece? Wheeeewww!)

I love Elmore James, but Hound Dog Taylor's got it all over him on a few songs.

SinglesGoingSteady
Posted: Sep 25, 2004 2:12 am

I gotta go with the Groovies version of "Slow Death" and I also like their "Tallahassee Lassie" better than the original.
dtrain
Posted: Sep 25, 2004 2:17 am

Joan Jet's 'starfucker' version is great.
kevin e
Posted: Sep 25, 2004 2:28 am

The Cramps and Teengenerate can cover the most immortal songs and make them even better. "Primitive" and "Domino" stand out for the Cramps and I can't even narrow it down Teengenerate is just sooooooo good.
Claude Zachary
Posted: Sep 25, 2004 2:42 am

Joan Jett did Starfucker? What the fuck is that on?
Claude Zachary
Posted: Sep 25, 2004 2:44 am

Joan Jett did Starfucker? What the fuck is that on?
SinglesGoingSteady
Posted: Sep 25, 2004 4:48 am

Her version of "Cherry Bomb" rocks alot harder than The Runaways original, dunno if that's a cover so much as a re-make....."Star Star" is on.....I forget......
KC
Posted: Sep 25, 2004 5:47 am

i have a hard time choosing between devo and the stones on satisfaction.
dirtywhite
Posted: Sep 26, 2004 5:18 am

gloves of metal by a.c. is much better than gloves of metal by man o war.also helter skeler by alice donut,and goin blind by the melvins.
man with gun lives here did a real nice cover of knock on wood,too.
Jeff
Posted: Sep 26, 2004 8:33 am

Let us not forget the great Monsieur Jeffrey Evans (who's written over 17 original songs). Most of the stuff he's put out is nothing but covers and they're all great! Hell, the last 68 Comeback LP only had 3 originals.
But the real stand outs are:

Soul Deep (Box Tops)- Gibson Bros
Evergreen (Roy Orbison)- 68 Comeback
Whistle Bait (Collins Kids) - La Fong
Let it Rock (Chuck Berry) - 68 Comeback
Dedicated Fool (Cordell Jackson) - Gibson Bros
Bull Moose (Bobby Darin) - 68 Comeback
High School Confidential (Jerry Lee Lewis) - 68 Comeback
Pink Pedal Pushers (Carl Perkins) - 68 Comeback
Roadrunner (Bo Diddley) - Gibson Bros.

Jeff's versions of all these old songs rock a lot harder than the originals, but Jeff never tried to fuck them up like everyone else does. Jeff just tried to play the songs as well as he could (they just ended up coming out all fucked up). And that's what's made all of his music so great!

oh yeah, his own songs are pretty good as well.

eric o
Posted: Sep 26, 2004 10:46 pm

no joy division covers for the oblivians that i remember. no bauhaus, either, no matter how much ben wallers mighta begged.

schmatt
Posted: Sep 26, 2004 11:19 pm

I love the '68 Comeback version of Tobacco Road
Mr Blvd
Posted: Sep 27, 2004 3:42 am

Dictators's version of the Flamin Groovies "Slow Death" fuckin kills.

i dont like the Persuaders version of First Time...
First Time is a pure pop song, you cant play it all trashy with total lo-fi production.

just doesnt sound right.

the Explosives cover of "Baby's Playing Games" by the Vomit Pigs is pretty rockin, they do a good cover of "High School Girls" by the Gears too.

the lead singer in that band is so cool not to mention the fact he is totally hung.

god damn.

red eyed willie
Posted: Sep 27, 2004 4:23 am

I'll second the Cramps, especially "Surfin' Bird"
I'd also second '68 Comeback's "Tobacco Road"(only the part one). The Loudermilk version of that song is so tame it's hard to hear how such a rocker could come out of it.

Anyone know of a shitty song that really blows that was made great in a cover version?

fierydrunk
Posted: Sep 27, 2004 4:27 am

I'm biased cos I loved The Replacements, but the Shit Hits the Fans cassette *almost* made me believe that every cover version on that release was better than the original (I am talking about the ridiculous covers "medley" when they finally realize they are too drunk to remember their own songs).
schmatt
Posted: Sep 27, 2004 6:00 am

I'm a huge Replacements fan, too, but I brought that record back to the store. Those "songs" were like 15 seconds long. It was like when drunk poeple you really like are just so drunk that they aren't that funny anymore and you're sober and you're trying to get something done, and it's funny but it's just not funny...that is that record. That is the irritation that that record left on me. Their cover of "Another Girl, Another Planet" is better than the one By the Only Ones, by quite a bit.
fierydrunk
Posted: Sep 27, 2004 7:04 am

I never felt that way at all because I was THAT in love with them, I was 17 years old and I was often that drunk myself at the time, so it all made a sort of sweet sense.
SinglesGoingSteady
Posted: Sep 27, 2004 7:09 am

Hey, there is a reason it's called "When The Shit Hits The Fans".....did the store let you return it?
SinglesGoingSteady
Posted: Sep 27, 2004 11:44 am

Also their Bob Dylan cover is pretty tight...

Explosives ain't that that band that offers that finest of white and dark meats to all indie rock grrls ages 16-23? Yeah what you wanna do is take Tennessee to Dewey, make a left, .....yeah right behind Big Daddy's.....Carolina Sqaure, apt........

skiles
Posted: Sep 27, 2004 3:42 pm

i'd much rather be with the boys-reigning sound
needles and pins-the ramones
schmatt
Posted: Sep 27, 2004 5:05 pm

Yeah that let me return it. This was only a couple of years ago, somebody pressed it to vinyl, and I bought it and brought it back about two hours later. The guy I bought it from has sold me a million records so I guess he let that slide. In the eighties I would buy tapes by like Dead Kennedys and Dead Milkmen and tape them, then bring them back to the store and tell the stoned dude at the Record Bar that my mom won't let me listen to this music because of the language, and than proceed to get another "offensive" tape. I did that about 10 times, and that is how I got my first Replacements tape, it was the buy the Dead Kennedys and get a free Replacements tape deal that I had figured out.
ed oblivian
Posted: Sep 29, 2004 2:24 am

No Joy Division, but there is a live LP with us doing "Dog Eat Dog" by Adam and the Antz. Richard Hell's version of CCR's "walking on the water" is AWESOME! Ther are so many fucking versions of "it's all over now bay blue" I couldn't hope to list them all, but namely 13 Floor Elevators and THEM give Bob a real run for his money.
Arturo
Posted: Sep 29, 2004 6:05 am

great destruction covers
Primitive Calculators version of Shout
012's Funkytown
Feedtime-Cooper S LP. great version of X's I dont wanna go out, but doesnt beat the Live at Civic version.

and yea Teengenerate is one of the best bands to improve on songs, but my vote for best band that does lotsa covers are the Cheater Slicks. Teengenerate improves on the songs they cover, but Cheater Slicks make the songs their own. Mystery Ship, Should I, The Hunch, Can It Be, Little Red Book etc etc almost any song they touch is better than the original.

red eyed willie
Posted: Sep 29, 2004 6:18 am

Here here for Cheater Slicks. Hooray!
motorhoney
Posted: Sep 29, 2004 8:11 am

I don't know if anyone could outdo Link Wray, but Fireworks' version of "Slinky" is pretty damn good.
sherman
Posted: Sep 29, 2004 9:03 am

I like '68 Comeback's version of Paper Boy Blues & also Ray Charles' take on If I were a Carpenter is awesom. Aretha Franklin turned Otis Redding's Respect upside down.
Jeff
Posted: Sep 29, 2004 9:09 am

I thought Paper Boy Blues was an Evans/Taylor original?
sherman
Posted: Sep 29, 2004 9:12 am

it is... I just thought I'd mention it here.
Jeff
Posted: Sep 29, 2004 9:14 am

Mystery Ship is a cover? I hate the CD version of Don't Like You, because it doesn't have the song credits. So I don't know what's an original and what's a cover. Whiskey is the same way on CD.
But the LP's have the song credits on the actual record.

That's what I get for buying the lame ass CD versions of Cheater Slicks albums.

schmatt
Posted: Sep 29, 2004 5:26 pm

(as mentioned above)Husker Du "Sunshine Superman" and "8 Miles High" rule. Sound like hippie music with an amplified blender added to them.
Arturo
Posted: Sep 29, 2004 6:44 pm

Dont Like You LP doesnt have song credits either. didnt know Should I was a cover until i heard the Shutdown 66 comp. it happens alot with the Cheater Slicks that i'll think its an original till i hear the actual original by surprise.

Mystery Ship is by a 60s band callled Mystic Tide. the original is amazing as well as is alot of their other stuff. one of my fave and most underrated 60s bands. darker than most of the bftg/nuggets type stuff but doesnt go too far into psychedelia. you can tell why the slicks covered them.

back to the topic
Head's version of Im Not Like Everybody Else

BigKegShandy
Posted: Sep 29, 2004 6:49 pm

And I thought that Destination Lonely was an original, too!
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 6:19 pm

Emmaline - URGE OVERKILL

(or. Hot Chocolate)
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 6:27 pm

Almost everything the Cheater Slicks covered except for "I Can Go On" and "The Hunch."
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 6:27 pm

But The Hunch comes close. "I Can Go On" doesn't even.
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 7:51 pm

I got in a huge argument with a friend the other day for liking the Black Lips version of "Wild Man" more than that Tamrons. Ah well.

I second the Cramps though. THey can do a fuckin' cover song.
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 8:00 pm

Rip Offs' version of "She Lied" does not come close to the Rockin' Ramrods'. In fact, that might have to be an entry in the "Greatest songs ever recorded" thread.
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 8:14 pm

the Cheater Slicks cover of "This Life of Mine" pales to the Lost Souls version, but it's still great.
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 8:15 pm

The original version of "Sweet Sweet Heart" by Despair is far far better than the Vibrators version, too.
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 9:23 pm

joe, the Mummies covered "She Lied" not the Rip Offs.

Some one can kick me for this but Green River's version of "Ain't Nothin to Do" destroys the Dead Boys.
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 9:27 pm

Same difference. Kinda. Not.

What record is She lied on?

Damn, thwey easily coulda done it too.

Anyhoo... orig is the best song over. Say different and I'll beat your knee caps with a baseball bat.
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 9:32 pm

Mummies version of "Come On Up" is way better than the Young Rascals version....

I also can't decide if the Clash's version of "I Fought The Law" is better than the Bobby Fuller Four's....they're both awesome, but which one's better....'meh' - dunno...
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 9:47 pm

Hellacopters w/Blag "Ain't Nothin to Do" is pretty great, also. Even though Hellacopters generally suck.
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 10:06 pm

The God Bullies' version of "Which Way You Going Billy" totally destroys the original by the Poppy Family.

And I actually think the Knitters' version of "Silver Wings" surpasses Merle Haggard's. John Doe never sounded better.
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 10:13 pm

ISM - I Think I Love You
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 10:16 pm

Mummies version of "Come On Up" is way better than the Young Rascals version....

No way Jose.
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 10:33 pm

sorry man...I think it's true.....
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 10:33 pm

I believe it to my soul....
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 10:34 pm

Blue Cheer's version of "Summertime Blues" kills.
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 10:36 pm

It's pretty safe to say that all of Killdozer's covers (and they did a lot of them) are better than the originals. Of course, they'd often pick songs that sucked to begin with, like "Unbelievable" and Janet Jackson's "Nasty"
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 10:42 pm

It's pretty safe to say that all of Killdozer's covers (and they did a lot of them) are better than the originals. Of course, they'd often pick songs that sucked to begin with, like "Unbelievable" and Janet Jackson's "Nasty"

That sounds horrible too on account of the irony involved.
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 10:55 pm

they'd often pick songs that sucked to begin with, like "Unbelievable"

This song is currently being "covered" by Kraft cheese in a commercial for crumbled cheddar cheese. It's been turned into "Crumbelievable." The genius part is that they didn't just change the lyrics to the title-word, they change the entire lyrics of the last couple of lines prior to the title-word in order to make them cheese-centric. When pop music is used to shil a product that blatantly, I can only tip my cap at such a blatant disregard for subtlety. Only in America!
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 10:58 pm | Edited by: Mr E Action

Halo of Flies did some great covers too(Human Fly, I'm a Bug, How Does It Feel to Feel)

Also Spacemen 3's cover of Transparent Radiation.
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 11:10 pm

The Black Lips' "hippy hippy hoorah" is pretty much exactly how i would've done the Dutronc song--wirey, raw, echoey/spooky. and they give "wild man" the right kind of energy/punk attitude other bands that fuck up in their efforts by playing it waaay too fast.

The Bobbyteens' "Do you wanna touch?" and "I did not love you till i saw you rock n roll" are way more fun than the Gary Glitter's originals.
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 11:45 pm

I saw a band do the worst, most droniest, outta tune version of "Do You Wanna Touch" this weekend.

Awful.
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 1:21 am | Edited by: TheMalevolentOne

Lee Hazelwood's amazing "I'd Rather be Your Enemy" was improved upon by the Death In June/Boyd Rice collaboration.

The Dwarves "Nobody Spoil My Fun" bests The Seeds.

Mummies were more "Out of their Trees" then even the Fab. Wailers.

And Fireworks "City of Assholes" scorches while the Jaguars sound like sullen, unlikable teens.
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 1:31 am

We did leather boy first and Guitar Wolf credited it to us. I did not write it in the truest sense though. There was an artist who recorded for MGM in the 60's known as "The Leatherboy". He had maybe 3 singles. I combined my favorite riffs from his 2 best, "leatherboy" and "on the go" to create a kind of retarded parody song. None of the lyrics are the same. The only similarity is that I'm talking rather fayely about riding around on motorcycles. Leatherboy never comes right out and says hes gay but trust me, I've seen his promo photo from 66. Cool as shit and gay as hell!Both of these 45's are worth looking for. They both start with motorcycle sound effects. My 2 year old daughter Ruby loves them both.
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 1:44 am

Dwarves cover of Red Crayola's "hurricane fighter plane" is also pretty good. Not better, but pretty good. Also, dig this and this FUCKING BEATS THEM ALL!!!!! In 67, when everybody had one or more Dylan covers on their album the Fairport Convention schooled everyone by setting music to the liner notes Dylan wrote for the back of one of his albums!!! Not only that, it's AWESOME. The first time I heard it I checked every Dylan album I owned, thinking, "how could I have missed this fucking song". I assumed it was an out take from a boot or something until one day while reading the abstract liner notes to an album I realised I was reading the lyrics to what the FC called "Jack of Diamonds".
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 1:53 am

covering liner notes is pretty hot.
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 1:54 am

I assumed it was an out take from a boot or something until one day while reading the abstract liner notes to an album I realised I was reading the lyrics to what the FC called "Jack of Diamonds".
Ed/Greg, what Fairport Convention album is "Jack of Diamonds" on and what Dylan album were the liner notes from? This must be from the pre- Sandy Denny period, right?
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 2:33 am

Yes, it's off the first album, pre-Denny. Can't recall what album the liner notes are on. "HWY 61 revisited" or "Bringing it all back home" or something from this time period.
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 3:00 am

mummies version of she lied is better than the original,

You dudes are ridiculous! Rockin' Ramrods version is like Dave Clark 5 vs. CRIME! It also incites spontaneous retard moves like nothing else can.
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 3:03 am

Not the same notes but a similar type riff. And, yes, "leatherboy on the go" is quite similar to "I'm a sissy punk faggot ass take it up the butt motorcycle leatherboy on the go". Also, the "come on let's go". Like I said, it's a parody. I'm not claiming that I wrote it, rather, I'm trying to clarify that I did not. None of the verses are the same though so I guess you could say I wrote some of it. Same goes for Jacks "Clones". Any resemblance to the Alice Cooper original is so obscured by restructuring I tend to think of it as a Jack original.
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 3:04 am

So who wrote "I'm a man" or, um..."Mannish Boy"?
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 3:06 am

Mummies version of "come on up" does indeed beat the Young Rascals original.
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 3:08 am

Mummies version of "come on up" does indeed beat the Young Rascals original.

Well, I give that one a "close call" but I ain't backin' down from She Lied.
Posted: Dec 21, 2005 7:42 pm

guitar wolf - kick out the jams
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 1:49 am

"and if having different words during a verse makes a cover song a parody then guitar wolf were a parody band." Everything weird Al and MOTO taught me indicates this to be true. But as Guitar Wolf wrote many of their own songs(in my opinion usually the best on their albums) I wouldn't go so far as to call them a parody band. But as you seem to take offense at me claiming to have anything to do with the content of this song...
You win Brad, it's nothing more than a cover.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 1:58 am

there are no winners here ed. it's all losers.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 1:59 am

Thee Impalas version of "come on up" on Whittier506 is also very nice. The thing that always kinda bothered me about the Rascals in general was that the organ was mixed too up-front. "Love is a beautiful thing" is a great tune too but I always prefered other versions mainly cause of the organ.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 2:01 am

Les Sexareenos' version of "I Can't" is better that the original by the Rovin' Flames. And the Daylight Lovers do the best version of "Loretta" out there.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 2:04 am

Don't know about all this, but I was in a family-dining-type place the other night, and something piped in throught he Muzac that I never thought I'd hear. Somebody (don't know who) decided to cover that "Hey, kid, rock 'n Roll, Rock On..." song. Dumb song. Even dumber to cover it.
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 2:10 am

oh jesus...
Posted: Dec 22, 2005 2:25 am

No problem, I just didn't want you to think I was tryin' to take credit for the song, that was the point of my original post. It is a cover. I just spiced it up a little is all. Guitar Wolf credited it to us on their record and I always felt bad about that. So maybe I'm being a little sensitive. Sorry.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®