Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Chinese Democracy
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 4:32 pm

LA Times reports release date.
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 4:37 pm

How come Billy Childish can crank out 5,000 different respectable l.p.'s in the same amount of time it takes Guns 'n' Roses to crank out one alb?
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 4:42 pm

can't rush genius!!!
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 4:43 pm

Bah! True genius flows like a river.
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 5:35 pm

all sorts of crap all thrown together
http://web.gunsnroses.com/splash.jsp

sounds like a local shit band
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Billy Childish can crank out 5,000

or the fall with a discography as expansive as his ego

but who knows- you decide for yourself-here is the single

call it best buy
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 6:27 pm

that's the same thing I posted above.
but yeah, it sucks big balls.
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 6:40 pm

After "Lies" there really wasn't any point in keeping up with GnR.
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 9:44 pm

"it'll take more time than you've got for masturbation, even with that iron fist!"

yes!
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 10:19 pm

Woah! I would've put off 'releasing' that piece-of-shit for as long as possible too
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 1:28 am | Edited by: frankenspline

but Billy Childish gets by on ripping off "Comanche" for years on end

Axl...now that dude does it all original-style
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 4:20 am

the reasons it hasnt been released are simple. it sucks, but as long as its unreleased people are talking about GNR and they can get in the news. if they woulda released the record 15 years ago and it flopped there would be noone talking about them now. thats also why billy childish can put out 5000 great records and GNR dont. its because childish knows what it is about his music that is great and he can reproduce it at will. axl is obviously clueless about what was good about early GNR, or what constitutes good music in general, as the leaked tracks have proven.
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 10:15 am

axl is obviously clueless about what was good about early GNR,

nah - he knows. its izzy stradlin.

probably why the band's music has paled in comparison to the stuff izzy contributed to.

but on a much better note.....

"We never thought this day would come." Tony Jacobs VP of marketing for Dr. Pepper admits. Neither did anyone, buddy. "But now that it's here all we can say is: The Dr. Pepper's on us."

So how exactly does Dr. Pepper plan on delivering its promise to give every American a free 20oz Dr. Pepper when GNR's Chinese Democracy is finally released on November 23rd? Coupons. (There goes my idea o Dr. Pepper drinking fountains.)

Dr Pepper is ready to give out free soda coupons to every American when the album releases on Nov. 23, 2008. If you're out to get a free Dr Pepper just follow these simple steps:

HOW TO GET YOUR FREE DR PEPPER

1. On the Nov. 23, 2008 release date, go to www.drpepper.com

2. Register your information to receive a coupon for one free 20-oz. Dr Pepper.

3. When your coupon arrives, redeem it wherever Dr Pepper is sold.

4. Drink your Dr Pepper slowly to experience all 23 flavors. Dr's orders.

Coupons will be available for 24 hours, starting at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time on Nov. 23, 2008. Allow 4-6 weeks for coupon to arrive. Coupons will expire on Feb. 28, 2009. Limit one coupon per person. Full terms and conditions available at www.drpepper.com

Posted: Oct 23, 2008 11:08 am

Wow. That took 14 years to make?
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 11:11 am

Doesn't Tommy Stinson have a writing credit on the record? His day will finally come, I guess.
Sure, it's an ugly way to make $, but there are uglier.
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 11:12 am

so, did tommy and buckethead, actually make it onto this record?
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 11:13 am

this aint sayin much but at least is wasnt as bad as velvet fucking revolver
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 11:15 am

but there are uglier

I can't think of anything more dreadful than playing in a band with Axxhole.
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 11:23 am

It ain't out yet. Best Buy or not, I'll believe it when I see it.

Plus, if I spent my whole life becoming a guitar virtuoso, I would NOT wear a fucking KFC bucket on my head at all times. Dude's got a screw loose, BIG TIME.

Plus, Dr. Pepper is totally bitching out on their end of the deal. They said they would give a free Dr. Pepper to "EVERY PERSON IN AMERICA", not "every person who has the time, resources, capability, and motivation to register online for a coupon within a 24 hour period." Pussies oughta be delivering them by hand to babies and old ladies.

Plus, of course the album's not gonna live up to expectations. The fucking Beatles could have spent 14 years working on a single album and it wouldn't live up to the expectations. Brad's got a point, it's gonna be a shitty album that sells a buttload cause of the anticipation. Maybe shitty-GNR can tour with shitty-Metallica, just like semi-shitty GNR toured with semi-shitty Metallica not too far back in the not-quite-old days.
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 12:20 pm

I would NOT wear a fucking KFC bucket on my head at all times. Dude's got a screw loose, BIG TIME.
i think KFC buckets are pretty funny
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 12:44 pm

I like the Neil Hamburger joke:

Q: Why does Kentucky Friend Chicken come in a bucket?
A: So you have something to throw up into afterwards!
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 1:02 pm

I can't believe people are talking about this with the possibility of a new Real Wrong Numbers NYC record looming.
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 1:58 pm

I just figured out what the single sounds like: Rebel Yell-era Billy Idol.
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 2:03 pm

I just figured out what the single sounds like: Rebel Yell-era Billy Idol.
If only.
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 2:57 pm

No, it sounds like a shitty nine inch nails rip-off from about 14 years ago.
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 3:10 pm

It sounds like nu metal to me. I love Appetite, Lies was good, Use your illusions had a couple moments, and then if they were making progressively worse albums like that all this time- that's what that song sounded like to me.
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 3:39 pm

No, it sounds like a shitty nine inch nails rip-off from about 14 years ago.
+1
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 7:15 pm

this album was just as bad when i illegally downloaded most of it two years ago as it is today when they're about to release it. axl rose is begging the world for a curb job.

if you must listen to this album, do not pay to listen to it. seriously.
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 1:36 am

nah - he knows. its izzy stradlin.
eggzactly...
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 2:55 am

Axl was waiting for his 80s / early 90s fanbase to get old and married so spouses will buy it for each other for christmas.

seems like the original wave of GnR fans would have just recently finished converting their cassette collection to CD in the last five years. so I don't know what all this controversy about suing the mp3 leak is all about-- GnR's true fans still want physical media.

the cackling hipster shits will just ironically download it, no lost sales there. anyone know if Chinese Democracy is getting a vinyl release? and what about cassingles? the back wall of my truck's sport cab is like 80% custom hardwood tape storage, and half of what it currently holds are cassingles. the other 20% is gun racks.

also, they should do some sort of uber-censored version cereal box collectors' points mail-in offer for this or the new Candlebox record. or maybe all those kids are grown up, better make it Marlboro Miles.
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 3:34 am

also, they should do some sort of uber-censored version cereal box collectors' points mail-in offer for this or the new Candlebox record. or maybe all those kids are grown up, better make it Marlboro Miles.

i was hoping they'd release it on toilet paper so people would discover what its most useful for
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 5:57 am

WOW. here is the whole album.
http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses

it couldn't get much worse
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 6:28 am

Those opening power chords on "Chinese Democracy" sort of remind me of a retarded version of "Owner of a Lonely Heart".
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 7:47 am

Those opening power chords on "Chinese Democracy" sort of remind me of a retarded version of "Owner of a Lonely Heart".

now jack stands can contribute to the "best of 2008" thread.
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 9:49 am

is he straddlin' axl rose?
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 12:46 pm

can we talk about "best bandana with fake dreads" now?

It's Steve Van Zandt vs. Axl Rose! Fight to the death!
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 2:36 pm

but Billy Childish gets by on ripping off "Comanche" for years on end
Ha!

Pussies oughta be delivering them by hand to babies and old ladies.
Double ha!
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 2:48 pm

I'm guessing this album has nothing to do with the Chinese Democracy Movement apart from the cover, which is really cheesy.
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 6:17 pm | Edited by: frankenspline

listening to it right now (no, I didn't pay for it).

it's pretty much "Axl Does Nu-Metal", five or twelve years stale. I couldn't begin to count the number of cheesy protools plugins that have left their mark on this turd...

the Chuck Klosterman review brought up a few interesting points:
http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/chuck_klosterman_reviews

(speaking of Klosterman, are any of his books worth reading?)
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 6:28 pm

Posted: Nov 20, 2008 8:22 pm

The Onion AV club gives it an A-
This review is a joke.
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 12:23 am

From Klosterman's review: "Reviewing Chinese Democracy is not like reviewing music. It's more like reviewing a unicorn."

I give the review an A+++
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 4:47 am

WOW, listening to the stream on myspace right now...And it's actually somehow even worse than expected.
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 8:59 am

I like Klostermans writing..
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 9:05 am

Klosterman was dead on when he said

Sometimes it seems like Axl believes every single Guns N' Roses song needs to employ every single thing that Guns N' Roses has the capacity to do"there needs to be a soft part, a hard part, a falsetto stretch, some piano plinking, some R&B bullshit, a little Judas Priest, subhuman sound effects, a few Robert Plant yowls, dolphin squeaks, wind, overt sentimentality, and a caustic modernization of the blues.

Of course, to him that resulted in an A- grade for the album. I tried listening to it on myspace yesterday and I wanted to set my ears on fire.
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 10:54 am

Angry Anderson is in Gn'R's top friends. That's kind of awesome!

Course, so is Sebastian Bach...
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 10:57 am

Posted: Nov 21, 2008 1:18 pm

pretty funny

http://www.sfgate.com

Aidan Varzi ---
Dude rules, until they reined him in.
I wonder, is he a Goner?
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 2:12 pm

Axl has had alot of face lifts and he has a dreadlock wig to hide his baldness....That's more respectable than Bret Michaels just wearing a bandana all the time.
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 2:59 pm

http://www.sfgate.com
i love how at the bottom of the page the by line says "axl rose, idiot"
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 7:19 pm

How 'bout the new Metallica? Produced by Rick Rubin- it's 1991 all over again!
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 7:20 pm

i keep saying rick rubin should produce the new jay reatard lp and have the boston chinks actually playing on it and make it sound as tight as reign in blood. that shit would be intense!
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 8:56 pm

Track 10 has a CRAZY guitar solo in it. Weird tune.

How much money did they spend on this masterpiese again? ...ugh...
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Shackler's Revenge" is so gonna be my new myspace profile song!
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 1:41 pm

without G 'n R, ole Chuck Klosterostomybag would have no writing career

He HAD to give it an "A"
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 6:53 pm

How much money did they spend on this masterpiese again? ...ugh...

$14 million.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 7:44 pm

did they get bail-out money?
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 7:54 pm | Edited by: michael baker

without G 'n R, ole Chuck Klosterostomybag would have no writing career

jesse that's not true at all

he could write endlessly about almost any hair metal band and Saved By the Bell

he's worthless: he always has these stylistic tics that suggest he's so anti-hip he has to be right; worst of all, he traffics in pseudo cliches that set up false oppositions

the unicorn is a good example

i know him too. he used to live in akron. he has the worst taste of any pop cult writer i have ever read
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 5:24 am

"sounds like a local shit band"

I just heard some of it on NPR a couple of days ago and it still does!!!
Portland 1992,anyone?
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 8:05 am

the chinese gov't issued a statement saying that "no one likes this sort of music" and that "it was clamorous". never like gun and roses and it took the chinese gov't to tell it like it is. damn.
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 12:02 pm

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 12:11 pm

Oh Boo Hoo! I didn't get my free can of Dr. Pepper! I'm going to sue to get it!
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 4:46 am

worst of all, he traffics in pseudo cliches that set up false oppositions

the unicorn is a good example

it's music review writing, you dolt
not mathematics
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 6:18 am

it's music review writing, you dolt
not mathematics

sorry i guess should love it then. and cliches are not found in math. they are found in yr posts.

btw: he has 5/6 books--if you think i even read his record reviews you don't know nuttin

i was talking about his being a fairly famous pop cult critic

are you going to break into a I Love USA harmony now? show off your bumper sticker collection?
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 7:36 am

prattle prattle prattle
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:40 am

Maybe this record would've been better if they spent a little more time working on it.
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 2:06 pm

cliches are not found in math
2+2?
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 4:17 pm

cliches are not found in math

Easy as one two three?
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 8:24 am

I just got this album ...gatefold double lp too.
if you think about it as aN AXL solo record . it's pretty good.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®