Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Unemployment Office tips...
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 12:47 pm

Shirt and tie to give the appearance of actively searching?

Hobo clothes to accentuate the hardship?

T-shirt with tie for the ironic "I don't give a fuck" look?
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 1:01 pm | Edited by: michael baker

clean shaven is the only rule i know
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 1:02 pm

A combination - old clothes but clean. They like that. But always bear in mind that if you were employed, they'd be out of a job.

Then collect money, go home, put on some smooth music and fire one up
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 1:16 pm

you were laid off because of cut backs, not because you took a swing at your boss. wear what you normally wear, but try not to smell like a goat.
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 1:52 pm

Dress for success.
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 1:56 pm

Wisconsin's unemployment system was pretty cool. After you got the process going you could just call a number -- "Press 1 if you are actively looking for work". Then they got a website where you checked some boxes and hit a button...I don't think I ever left the house to meet with anyone.
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 3:16 pm

Wisconsin's unemployment system was pretty cool. After you got the process going you could just call a number -- "Press 1 if you are actively looking for work". Then they got a website where you checked some boxes and hit a button...I don't think I ever left the house to meet with anyone.

Illinois is the same way. When they gave me money, I never talked to a single person. I just signed up online and hit a few buttons on the phone every two weeks.
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm

The one time I got Unemployment I had to go in once and then there were so many people on Unemployment that they just said do it by mail. And they doubled it so I got the max for a whole year. Watch out for the taxes. You have to pay taxes on your unemployment checks (at least in NY). I got socked with a big bill at the end of the year.
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 3:39 pm

You have to pay taxes on your unemployment checks

You usually have the option to have the taxes deducted as you go, and I would recommend it.
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 4:25 pm

Michigan's Unemployment system is fucked. I hear that there are so many people here that are unemployment that the money is running out.
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 4:55 pm

Damn, so you're not working in the Ivory Tower no more? Sorry dude. Low five.
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 7:20 pm

do that shit online

http://www.tennesseeanytime.org/labor/

NAKED!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 8:12 pm

You have to pay taxes on your unemployment checks

I think both presidential candidates' plans call for a tax break on unemployment benefits ...
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 8:17 pm

Michigan's Unemployment system is fucked. I hear that there are so many people here that are unemployment that the money is running out.

Yet, they're handing out more extensions cuz there are no jobs. I know-I'm in the middle of it myself right now.
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 8:57 am

Still living off the wife, Dale?
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 9:52 am

hey robin.....i go to the office out in raleigh....i'm guessing you'll go to the same one since we live near each other. it doesn't really matter what you wear. i think i've just worn a t-shirt and jeans every time. most people look pretty trashy. i think all it takes for you to qualify is the right paperwork from the job that laid you off. they don't make decisions based on your appearance.

make sure you go up there the afternoon before the morning that you want to apply. get your application and fill it out before you go in. then that morning you gotta show up at least by 7:30. the first time i went i didn't have the application and i got there around 7:45....i didn't get out of there until after noon! i had to go back last week and i came in with every thing filled out and go there at 7:30....i was out by 9:30. it's pretty depressing. bring a book or your laptop....they have wireless.

i'm not sure what time people start lining up. at 7:30 last week i think i was about 20th in line.....so you might actually wanna show up even earlier.
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 9:54 am

if you have any more questions lemme know....i've been on it for the past few months
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 11:57 am

Still living off the wife, Dale?

Actually, no but how is that working for you Ned?
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 2:11 pm

I also recommend the RAleigh office, it's usually less crowded & cleaner than the others. I recommend going an hour before they close though. It seems to cut the wait time down. Goodluck!
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 3:30 pm

when i talked to them, they said they only take people in the morning. i remember the first time i called up there it was around 11 or so and they said they already had met the limit of the number of people they were going to see for the day.
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 3:35 pm

They're probably just giving you a hard time cause they know you're friends with Sperman and Adnrew Earles, Ape. Nobody likes those losers.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®