Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / drum cymbals
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 10:07 am

what are some good and rather inexpensive cymbals to pick up? there are 3 of us who share the drums/cymbals for practicing and we're great at cracking, chipping, breaking the fuck out of them. really tired of replacing them and what can be done to prevent cracking a little better?
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 10:56 am | Edited by: carney

Sabians have lasted pretty long at the rock school. Two crashes cracked in the same week after three years. If you are cracking them, you are probably hitting them wrong.
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 10:56 am

The Paiste 404 and 505 series cymbals sound awesome, and can be found for pretty cheap on ebay. I guess they used to be the lower-end Paistes back in the 70s and 80s. I got a 404 ride for like $60 including shipping and it sounds pretty awesome. I use a Sabian B8 (B8 is Sabian's bottom-of-the-barrel series) for my crash, they sound decent and they are really cheap so I don't feel bad about beating the fuck out of it.

As for preventing cracking, um I dunno stop hitting 'em so hard?

Also, I guess you're more likely to crack them if you put them really high up.

Also, I guess Guitar Center has some really good insurance plans for cymbals where if you pay an extra $20 they'll replace any cymbal that's cracked within 2 years from the date of purchase. I've never bought cymbals from Guitar Center though so I might be a little fuzzy on the details.
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 1:54 pm

yeah, a lot of drummers I know get them at Guitar Center or Sam Ash where they can get the extra warranty. There's no fixing a cymbal so you get a brand new one.

I've also heard it's hitting them at too close of a right angle with the stick that causes them to break.
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 2:07 pm

Dude, you need to get a Octa-Plus set like Peter Kriss and a complete set of Zildjians and a giant Gong behind you. Then you'll need a roadie to swing out the boom stand with the mic for your backing vocals.
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 5:21 pm

There are a few things you can do about a cracked cymbal to that, while not fixing it, may extend its life. Take it to Jason Hatcher at the Memphis Drum Shop and have him drill holes at both ends of the crack. This MAY prevent it from spreading.

The number one reason cymbals crack is actually from putting them on stands where the cymbal is touching bare metal. Metal on metal+friction= bad idea. Purchasing a good set of cymbal stands, or carrying around extra cymbal sleeves like these URL will greatly extend the life of your cymbals.

I would also highly suggest not sharing cymbals. They are cirular discs you hit with a wooden stick. The nature of the instrument, combined with the cost, is enough to make anyone upset when it eventually cracks. Its better to know you did it than suspect someone else did and resent them for it.

Learning proper cymbal striking techniques is my final suggestion. You may be doing it correctly, you may not. But its best to learn if you're wanting to avoid buying new cymbals often.

FINAL SUGGESTION: Do not shop at Guitar Center. It is staffed by halfwits who may or not be familiar with the instrument they're trying to sell you. Find a local shop with an educated and respectable staff. Anyone buying drum stuff in Memphis who isn't going to the Memphis Drum Shop is just and idiot. If you live out of town, google "Five Star Drum Shops" and see if there's one near you.
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 5:23 pm

Two final suggestions. Goddamnit, I'm just like my longwinded know-it-all father.
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 7:44 pm

one tip: do not let james baker play your hi hat.
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 10:30 pm

ive been looking on ebay watching some old zildjians recently and they go pretty cheap.
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 10:33 pm

cheap cymbals suck--save your money and get something decent. You really can't beat a Zildjian Medium Thin Crash or Fast Crash. WELL worth the extra dough.
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 8:10 am

Keep using the cracked cymbals at practice! So what if that sound like shit - it's practice.
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 8:37 am

Keep using the cracked cymbals at practice!

Except when pieces fly off and hit your bassist.
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 9:15 am

Fuck your bassist!
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 9:29 am

Yeah, buy your own cymbals and the cracked ones are the other guys problem. Also, the millionaire is right, I don't know how drummer's can even practice on shitty cheap cymbals. It's like me saying I'm just going to play a kids guitar in practice.
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 6:17 pm

zildijan armand series

they sound soooooooooooo freakin' close to vintage cymbals and aren't really too expensive.

the 21" ride is sick as fuck
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®