Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / best austrailian band
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 5:30 am

Bee Gees

"you're a holiday"
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 6:41 am

i can't get with the beegees early stuff at all. well, the one lp i heard anyway was too sappy. ironic that i think "how deep is your love" is a classic.

two fave australian singles are the D-Coys "Bad Times" and The Babeez. Did they only make the one single with the envelope sleeve? That's the one I'm talking about.

waiting for jack stands to chime in with olivia newton john's "(let's get) physical."
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 6:43 am | Edited by: Paul Lips

Oh yeah! I'd seen a Bee Gee's pysch album at an antique store last week. I hope it's still there tonight 'cuz I'm gonna buy it! 3$ American.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 6:45 am

My faves are the pre-Friday On My Mind era Easybeats, the '66 Masters Apprentices stuff, the first three Saints LPs, Radio Birdman's AWESOME 45-only versh of New Race, the Elois' By My Side 45, and You Am I's stuff, from their second album to date...
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 6:50 am

pre-Friday On My Mind era Easybeats

i have a feeling you mean, specifically, "i want you for my woman." did they do anything else as tough as that?
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 6:50 am

Masters Apprentices

hot gully wind has been at the top of my wants list for years.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 6:52 am

i agree that the first 4 or 5 bee gee lps are hard to beat

My faves are the pre-Friday On My Mind era Easybeats, the '66 Masters Apprentices stuff, the first three Saints LPs, Radio Birdman's AWESOME 45-only versh of New Race, the Elois' By My Side 45, and You Am I's stuff

yes
yes
yes
etc

you forgot
nick
the scientists
beasts
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 6:56 am

did they do anything else as tough as that?

Oh, man, did they ever! Basically, if you dig For My Woman (their first 45), then you'll also wanna scarf up the following trax, at least:

Sorry
Women (Make You Feel Alright)
Wedding Ring
I'll Make You Happy
Going Out Of My Mind
Good Times

All super-tuff beat punk, kinda uber-kinetic guitar riffs inna proto-AC/DC style, as befits guitarist/co-writer George Young, elder brutha to Angus & Malcolm... seriously, these trax are way up there with the classic Kinks'n'Who 45s! Some of the psych stuff is OK, too...
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:04 am

Women (Make You Feel Alright)

you said "pre-friday on my mind." this is on the "friday" lp (in the usa at least). it's really the standout track on that album, so i'm guesing it was recorded before most of therest of it, eh?
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:07 am

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:19 am

i'm guesing it was recorded before most of therest of it,

Yurp, basically, all of The Easybeats' pre-Friday stuff was taken and used on various comps around the globe, after they had the hit. Check out some of the Aussie clips on YouTube for an idea of just how big they were downunder, before leaving for the UK. BTW, Small Faces fans should note that Good Times has Steve Marriott on backing vox... oh, yeah, forgot to mention She's So Fine, anutha one of their super-tuff Aussie smashes!

Amazing Sorry clip here:

Good Times here:

She's So Fine:
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:28 am

you forgot
nick
the scientists
beasts

Nick? Barker? I dig The Scientists (in fact, Tony's a good mate and us Stripchords played wiv em in London a coupla years back), but having met Tex, I think he's a dick and the Beasts' versh of Psycho, while kool and better than Costello's, ain't no swallow-filled summer fer me...

Y'all heard that the All Tomorrows Parties folks have managed to get the Bailey/Kuepper/Hay line-up of the Saints to play some Aussie gigs next year? Bloody norah, hope they make it to the UK! BTW, there's an amazing Classic Australian Albums DVD on the making of I'm Stranded â€" if you wondered why Bailey wrote Brisbane Security City, check out the footage of Queensland regional minister Joh Bjelke-Petersen's riot cops just WHALING on peeps with riot sticks... like reading that recent Elevators book, watching this DVD just makes them first three Saints LPs MORE AMAZING!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:36 am

Nick? Barker?

cave

three Saints LPs MORE AMAZING!

off the top of my head only few bands had three classic LPs coming out of the chute

the saints
big star
pere ubu
ramones
wire

i'm missing some of course...
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:38 am

Amazing Sorry clip here:

i've seen this a million times

amazing

small faces with jimmy page type of thing

wow
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:40 am

yeah, i'm hunting for that single from here on out. i've heard it before, but forgot about it due to whatever else came along the same day.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:42 am

Nick? Barker?

cave

Oh, "old creepy drawers", as I call him (after a line uttered by Barry Humphries, as Envy, in the original 1967 version of Bedazzled). Cave's OK, pretty funny, like Leonard Cohen, but I don't feel the need to buy any of his records. His novel's pretty good, too, albeit a mash-up of early Cormac McCarthy (Child of God, Outer Dark) and Faulkner...
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 9:23 am

Bored!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 9:34 am

too many to mention, e.c.s.r. is looking pretty solid on there way to first three great albums
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 10:06 am

radio birdman and/or the saints
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 10:11 am

too many to mention, e.c.s.r. is looking pretty solid on there way to first three great albums

listened to primary colours yesterday in the car. i think i'm digging the 1st album alot more. is goner releasing that one too? must have wax. would really dig "which way to go" on a 7".
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 10:20 am

would really dig "which way to go" on a 7".

me too!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 10:24 am

me three!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 10:25 am

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 10:39 am

you're nuts for that song, huh? have you heard the babeez? christine musta played it for you.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 10:44 am

BABEEZ!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 10:45 am

alberto calls them "bah- BEEZ."

alberto rules!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 11:12 am

the babeez? christine musta played it for you.
of course!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 11:20 am

what is it about australia that their sound has been so unique for the last 43 years?
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 11:26 am

the article in ugly things was attributing it to the fact that so few oversea's bands made it down there for so long
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 11:27 am

INXS
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 11:43 am

what is it about australia that their sound has been so unique for the last 43 years?

Damn straight! Unfortunately, a lot of the Aussie sound, to my reckoning, is the parochial attitude of the UK and US music press... like, how come Kings of Leon can go on Jools Holland and say there's nothing musical going on in TN without being challenged? Or the music press coming on like there were no Scandi r'n'r bands before The Hives? Just f-ing stoopity to the MAX! Mind you, these are the same cretins who use the wonderfully insulting/means bugger all term 'world music'!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 12:01 pm

Saints were booked to play here in Cali last year but cancelled, damnit.

I was surprised to see how dynamic and original Birdman was when they (finally) came thru USA. I liked them back in the day but kinda thought they had ripped off their sound from Detroit. boy was I wrong.

Seems to be a lot of Oz bands coming thru here, Eddy Current one of the best. Shutdown 66 were pretty damn good too, but not sure they're still at it.

I could do with hearing a lot more Lime Spiders and Scientists.

everybody knows about the Aussie website, yes? http://www.i94bar.com/
not a lot of pre-70's stuff on there tho.

definitely think the remoteness of the place means we don't get to hear a lot of it.
"it's gonna happen in the city"
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 12:16 pm

did Stands say Olivia Newton John yet? If not, Olivia Newton John, then.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 12:32 pm

Church, hands down.

You guys are fucking stupid.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 12:38 pm

pretty sure this should go to the ask marcus in the uv race thread/australia
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 12:58 pm

I always enjoyed that Exploding White Mice EP
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:07 pm

buy this cd, or download it or whatever:

Tales from the Australian Underground - Singles 1976-1989

also get this:

Do the Pop: Australian Garage-Rock Sound 1976-87

essential!! crucial!! etc
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:12 pm

waiting for jack stands to chime in with olivia newton john's "(let's get) physical."

Sorry I'm late. But Joe, it's all about this:

I actually learned it a few weeks back for my bass and drums doom band.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:17 pm | Edited by: skank police

Bored!
Yes!
Plus, please allow me to casually mention Ac/DC, Hard-ons, Lipstick Killers, Fun Things, Rose Tattoo, Cosmic Psychos and the Onyas.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:19 pm

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:20 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

I SAID IT'S ALL ABOUT THIS! AND NOTHING MORE!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:20 pm

psycho surgeons! the victims! the eastern dark!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:22 pm

great early 70s aussie hard rock:

BUFFALO!!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:46 pm

psycho surgeons! the victims!

Yessss! "Just cos I watch Dinah Shore, it doesn't mean my mind has slipped, doesn't mean I need a facelift..." Victims RULE! Unfortunately, that Timberyard vinyl comp of their stuff seems to have been mastered wonkily, tho some enterprising soul had booted TV Addict and the No Thanks To The Human Turd EP (amazingly stoppid sleeve)... seriously great! I mean, James 'Born To Be Punched' Baker AND someone in a wallaby mask, c'mon!

Find it here: http://cousincreep.com/antipodeanunderground/images/the_victims_front. jpg
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 2:34 pm

Speaking of The Victims, finally got the first Hoodoo Gurus LP on vinyls. Pretty solid.

Rose Tattoo. Magnum Maid forever.
Cosmic Psychos. even Palomino Pizza.
Feedtime. urrrrrrrrrrrrr plod urrrrrrrrrrrr.
Onyas. I love girls.
Rocks "the country's in a mess, can't you see?"
Chosen Few. makes it hurt down there
Egos. "108kg is really big. I got to eat I got to live."

like Skank Police said.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 2:53 pm

I was surprised to see how dynamic and original Birdman was when they (finally) came thru USA. I liked them back in the day but kinda thought they had ripped off their sound from Detroit. boy was I wrong.

Deniz Tek (their guitarist) is from Ann Arbor, so there's that...

Anyone familiar with the old KBD band, the Number (or Riptides - they switched names at some point). I only know the songs posted on the Killed by Death blog, but they did some great songs. Here's the link to the mp3s on that blog.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 3:51 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

AC/DC and the Easybeats
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:24 pm

Destroyer 666, Nocturnal Graves, Gospel of the Horns and Hobb's Angel of Death. FOAD.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:27 pm

That Babeez single's fucking killer. Deafening air raid siren right into "Hate You" is the best.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:29 pm

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:35 pm

as i said, too many too list, no one has brought up the dirty lovers, for example
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:47 pm

no love for silverchair.

man you guys are a bunch of fags.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:51 pm | Edited by: stealth387

The "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack was the first record that I ever listened to by myself. My dad taped it onto cassette for me and I rocked it on headphones for a few years. I think the tape was just the Bee Gees songs. That's the kinda crap that you can still kind of get into even after your musical taste has matured, because it was the first music you ever liked.
Oh, and for my favourite Australian band it would have to be Sputniks, "Second Glance" on "Bloodstains Across Australia".
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 8:00 pm

no love for jeremy donovan?

you guys really are a bunch of fags.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 10:52 pm

I gotta go with the Fun Things.
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 12:08 am

no love for sailors.

man you guys are a bunch of fags.
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 3:40 am

Bluestars are from New Zealand! Calling Kiwis Aussies is a whole world o'trouble, kinda like calling Americans Canadian...

Purple Hearts/Coloured Balls guitarist Lobby Loyde kicks muchos ass!
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 4:11 am

Sorry, I'm not ironic enough to put the Bee Gee on any list of bands I give a shit for at all.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Radio Birdman

AC/DC

Wolfmother

The Saints

The Mothers
(Late 80s punk outfit fronted by Fiona Horne, pre-witch days. Only put out one 7", but well worth tracking down-- "Drives Me Wild")
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 5:12 am

have a feeling you mean, specifically, "i want you for my woman." did they do anything else as tough as that?
rose tattoo's great guitarist, Lobby Loyde, had a band for awhile (6 songs?)--Purple Hearts--that was even tougher, a Pretty Things kind of tough.

Killer.
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 5:17 am

RIP

early aussie prog psyche for jack
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 5:47 am | Edited by: michael baker

the article in ugly things was attributing it to the fact that so few oversea's bands made it down there for so long
maybe--then again no radio? no beatles movies? no lillian roxon to write back from her nyc pad?

it's interesting that of all the great bands listed above they all seemed to have enough luck and success to stay together long enough for crucial 3rd or 4th LPs

Bee gees forever

Scientists 6 years

Lime spiders 3-4 but who wanted a fourth LP?

Radio birdman 4 years (the real shame here on this list)

Celibate rifles forever

Saints forever

Easy beats 7 years

Ac/dc forever

Hoodoo gururs 17 years

You am I 15 plus

Master’s apprentices prolly 6-7 real years; lots of upheaval, country changes, and evanescent line ups

Rose tattoo the great line up, 6-7 years

Sunny boys 50 million tracks, but 4 years?
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 6:49 am

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 1:26 pm

not ironic enough to put the Bee Gee
ironic that i think "how deep is your love" is a classic.

I'm with Joe here. that's a great tune.

Bee Gees only band to have Top 20 hitz in 5 different decades!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®