Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Doug Moody, Philco, Mystic Records, et. al.
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 10:14 pm

Tell me everything that you know about them!
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 11:44 pm | Edited by: eric o

please!

me and hoppe got cool mystic records t-shirts not too long ago!
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 11:49 pm

I scoured the internets for funny Mystic Records stories. PHat Mike recalled a story of Doug Moody dumpster diving for used and discarded audio reels to be used at Mystic Studios.

Point-of Reference for those who don't care: "Back from Samoa" by (I shouldn't have to tell you) was recorded at Mystic Studios back in '82...
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 12:10 am | Edited by: Paul Lips

Picture a 50 something ripping off naive shitty 80's thrash bands

we negotiated our first record deal. Unforunately, it was with the infamous Doug Moody and his ultra corrupt Mystic/Super Seven Records. Doug had gotten ahold of our demo from Pat Houdek and wanted to do a 7" with some of the songs from it. Eager to have a record out, no matter who it was with, we signed a contract with Mystic. They actually did a decent job with the first 7", the 8-song Bryan's Car EP. The covers looked good and were printed on cardboard, the mastering was fine (Mystic had been notorious for their terrible mastering jobs), and we even got about 50 copies of the thing. The problems with Mystic started with the second, unauthorized A.G's 7". That next spring (1988), I got a call from a friend telling me how much he was enjoying the new A.G s 7" he had just picked up. I thought he was talking about the Bryan's Car 7", but he assured me that he had a new EP, this one called ...Because A Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Waste. Turns out, Mystic had taken the remaining 6 songs off our original master tape, xeroxed some artwork from an A.G's t-shirt we had sent them, and threw together a follow-up 7" without even asking our permission. They didn't know what the names of most of the songs were, so they made up a few titles of their own, and then they managed to get the labels glued to the wrong sides of the record. Numerous phone messages for Doug Moody were left unreturned, and that was the end of our relationship with Mystic. To this day, we have never received a single copy of that EP from Mystic. We had to buy copies for ourselves at record stores

Ha Ha Ha!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 12:23 am

Doug Moody claimed that he started the punk/thrash time honored tradition...
THEE COMPILATION!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 12:30 am

mystical!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:17 am

Even tougher than Kryptonite Records even!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:20 am

fuck that shit, pedophile nigger.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:21 am

baby rape!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 11:15 am

fuck that shit, pedophile nigger

Alrighty then you midget homo-beastial-coprofiliac!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 11:17 am

me and hoppe got cool mystic records t-shirts not too long ago!

Any left in Large or X-Large or XX-corpulent?
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 12:31 pm

NARDCORE!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 12:47 pm

We used to see a band called P.T.L. Klub in Boston a fair bit back in the 80's. Pretty sure they put out some records on Mystic. I don't think there were too many east coast bands on the label.

Looks like they might be still around
http://www.myspace.com/ptlklub
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 2:57 pm

I remember seeing the re-formed Battalion of Saints in the mid-90's. The crowd was yelling for them to play Sweaty Little Girls. George Anthony says "We won't play that song since I sold it to Doug Moody for a bag of coke."
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 3:06 pm

I wish I still had that MRR with the Batallion of Saints interview. I remember the singer was talking about how Moody would pull underhanded shit on the bands on the Mystic roster.

I'm sorry for the Mystic obsession. I just can't get over how old Doug Moody was during the Mystic heyday juxtaposed with the music he was recording and putting out!

But really, I wonder how much $$$ Moody made by getting over on the bands.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 4:03 pm

I've got a mortician's boner!
Posted: Sep 21, 2018 12:24 pm

All of you should be ashamed of yourselves- Talking about a man who released over 300 punk rock unknown bands and spending his own money to launch their careers- what a sick bunch of people writing about a man I've know since 1982 and a wonderful kind compassionate person- You all need mental help! Talking snack about someone you don't even know personally. Where would punk rock be without Mystic Records? I'll tell you "NO Where" . I am one of the pioneer women who help bring punk rock music into a new genre, read my story and other real musicians who worked close with Mystic all these years and the bands that 50 years later are still loyal to Mystic- So take you little hate group and pick up a copy of the new book "We Were Going To Change The World" by Stacy Russo and get the truth about Mystic and the people who were there from the beginning. Thank you
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 12:24 pm

I love talking "snack"(and learning about foods of the world), not too fond of "talking snack" (cheetos speaking to me freaks me out)
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®