Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Jon Tiven on Alex Chilton
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 3:43 pm

From velvetrope.com:

I'm saving most of the juicy bits for my book, but in short he morphed into someone who I found quite predatory and unsavory. We were quite friendly for awhile, but he broke in on my girlfriend and I when we were in the midst and started taking his clothes off, and when I threw him a joint and told him to take his joint elsewhere he pretty much decided our relationship was adversarial. Like most members of the animal kingdom, for him sex is more for domination than pleasure, and when I denied him it completely threw him. Last time I saw him he had his manager attempt to strongarm me while he tried to burn my face with a lit cigarette, but my adrenaline went into overdrive and I wallopped both of them and I'm not much of a fighter but he's a total wuss.

Musically speaking, a spent force. I wish I had been able to work with him before he had given up on being tuneful. He did ask me during the making of BACH'S BOTTOM whether I thought he was brain damaged. My reply was that I didn't know him long enough to really tell whether that was his problem, and I was being truthful and evasively kind. I know what my reply would be now, but at the time I was trying to maintain some sort of equilibrium in the midst of making a record which had already declined to depths of insanity and self-indulgence. I was all of 20 at the time, this was the first album I'd produced, and I felt a pressure to deliver a work that would somehow redeem an artist who had destroyed his career for the second time, recently come out of the hospital for quaalude addiction, and was in sadomasochistic relationship with a woman of questionable sanity.

Hey, I did the best I can. Not my best work, but some people dig it, that's the best I could do at the time. Robert Christgau gave it a pretty nice review, and there were no precursors for it----the punk attitude was no pose.
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 4:30 pm

By "leeleedee" (Lexington, Kentucky)

Anybody can make a sane, well-crafted record--who needs 'em anyway? I mean, if you was Mott the Hoople, I'd come out there and pee all over you, but who cares?
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 6:37 pm

Haha! I was listening to Alex Chilton all day today at work.
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 6:48 pm

joe t just threw this on! sounds pretty predatory!
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 11:22 pm

look for Predatory Wuss 45 on hozac soon.
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 11:30 pm

look for Predatory Wuss 45 on hozac soon.

Too bad it isn't the 80's. Doug Moody would've signed them w/o a doubt!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 12:18 am

it's always the 80s over here.

the good 80s. the rkl and dr. know 80s.

watch it burn!!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 6:13 am

getting high ands being sexually inappropriate are not even close to being chilton's major problems back then: he was a messy drunk. and not the nicest guy. the album is a mess of course. you can mention "punk" all you want, but this is more inward, more shambling, more pouty, than defiant and sneering.

bangkok kills though. and the stones and seeds covers are a-ok. and, after all, it does provide a template for his upcoming 30 year roller coaster solo career: impossible to predict, impossible to hate, impossible to love. it's like a caged bird who can talk: you marvel initially, but after awhile, you leave the room, hands tight against yr ears.

i love the fucker so much though.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 6:49 am

i love the fucker so much though.

Yeah, even though he hates it that people love his music, and that he stood me up for an interview in NOLA, I still think he's f-ing great. Take Me Home And Make Me Like It is one of the funniest songs ever laid to tape, not least the "call me a slut in front of my family" line... who cares if Alex is an asshole, as long as he doesn't come to stay!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 8:08 am

That would be laughable if it wasn't so annoying. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Bach's Bottom nothing more than demo tapes released by John without Alex's knowledge or permission. A fascinating curiousity, sure, but beyond judgement as legitimate "product" (especially the ridiculous later overdubbed version, released as a CD)

Richard Meltzer on John Tiven, Danny Sugerman, and Cameron Crowe.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 8:24 am

Richard Meltzer on John Tiven, Danny Sugerman, and Cameron Crowe.

Read that before, it's hilarious! Gawd love Mr Vom!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 9:58 am

In the mid-80s Alex Chilton was a really nice guy......by 2000 he pretty much turned into an asshole, but that's just from my personal experiences........a lot of people turn into curmudgeons when they get older......
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 10:39 am

you'd be an asshole too if you had guys like sweatpants baker and a million other nerds sending you love letters for 25 years.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 11:43 am

you'd be an asshole too if you had guys like sweatpants baker and a million other nerds sending you love letters for 25 years.

that's logical, dr phil--i like big star and that turns someone into an asshole. but jeez, jody is a great guy. anyways, if my liking of something or someone can so easily convert that person ior thing nto negative behavior, that's great news for you, a person whom i give not two shits for. you will be the same bland prince that you are forever.
party!

and i am the furtherest thing from a nerd that you have ever met.
party!
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 11:53 am

Looks like I struck a nerd nerve!

F.O.A.D.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 12:45 pm

Another friend made by Sweatpants!
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 5:22 am

Another friend made by Sweatpants!

and to think for my next party Nothing To Say Bland Jason, Chicago Kunt, and you were going to be invited. At least there will be fewer cliches and idiotic ramblings to suffer through, but we will miss the entertainment of Two Fags and A Circus Midget standing in the corner, laughing at one another's jokes.

Party!

Hey. I like The Rolling Stones, too. Oops, there goes Bill Wyman with another girl. Sorry everyone! My fault.
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 8:33 am

Being in the same room with alex is exhausting.
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 1:09 pm | Edited by: saispas

Being in the same room with Alex C sycophants is really exhausting.
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 12:51 pm | Edited by: Bob Mehr

re: Tiven's claims about old AC trying to horn in on his action, here's some thoughts from someone who was around at the time.

"I esp. like Tiven's tale re Alex taking his clothes off in anticipation of a threesome. As I heard it, Jon's gal pal at the time was Chilton's romantic property, so to speak, and that Tiven was the interloper in that menage a twit. Jon might have thought she was his exclusively, but he was just sharing a member of Alex's harem. If Alex was the dominant silver backed gorilla then Tiv was the chattering chimp sniffing around the margins of his expansive sexual kindgom. Sleazy 70s sexual politics aside, Jon created a template for scummy music biz hustlers that surpasses my idol, Kim Fowley. A more talentless piece of shit I've never met and I've met quite a few in my time."
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 1:00 pm

I remember seeing him on Haight Street in the 80's (the not-legendary I-beam) -- I think he was opening for Sonic Youth (?!?).

I was there as a Box Tops fan, some guy I was talking to explained "you got to support these guys no matter how much of their mind they've lost...."

I wanted to hear some blue-eyed soul, not that out-of-left-field Big Star material. have since been converted
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 5:01 pm

Seen Chilton at CBGB in the early 90's. Nothing special. Got a bunch of live tapes a friend made and gave me. Nothing special. Last good record? Sister Lovers which was a long time ago. His solo stuff is unlistenable. Brain damage is no excuse. I got plenty of great records made by the brain damaged.
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 8:56 pm

I saw Him doing the Big Star thing about 5 years ago at Dantes in Portland. The crowd was mostly indy rock fags. I was pretty drunk yelling at him..
Alex-" Its my birthday today I'm 50" ( think thats the age)
Me " Your fucking old"
Alex- starts to laugh . " Thanks"
Indy rock guy beside me " Can you please be quite"
Me " Do you wanna fight"

Man I love Portland hahahaha..
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 11:10 pm

and i am the furtherest thing from a nerd that you have ever met.

HA!!!!!

you middle-aged chiltonians are the biggest NERDS that exist earthwide.

you saps make trekkies and juggaloos look like cheerleader-fuckers.

and here's my "Dr. Phil" 2 sec. analysis of you and the many like you: ignored by daddy, fall in love with jagger/bowie/iggy, decide that self is intellectual, seek out chilty, decide that chilty is new daddy, finally meet chilty one day and chilty hurts your fellings, realize chilty is not your daddy. CONTINUE TO LOVE CHILTY.

pathetic.

one day you will figure out that chilty hates his male fans cuz the songs are for GIRLS you moron!
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 12:41 am

ASK DR JASON!
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 8:45 am

I've never met a "Chiltonian" or anyone obsessed with the guy, maybe that's a Memphis or Memphis region thing. I'm all about "Like Flies," though, one of my favorite albums.
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 9:52 am

I want to establish an expansive sexual kingdom.
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 10:22 am

and here's my "Dr. Phil" 2 sec. analysis of you and the many like you: ignored by daddy, fall in love with jagger/bowie/iggy, decide that self is intellectual, seek out chilty, decide that chilty is new daddy, finally meet chilty one day and chilty hurts your fellings, realize chilty is not your daddy. CONTINUE TO LOVE CHILTY.

It's funny because its true! So true!
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 11:14 am

I knows Chilty ain't my daddy " my daddy dead, fule... LX makes me laugh, tis all...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®