Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / PRAYING MANTISESESES!!!
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 6:39 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

Just went out to pick some tomatos and basil for a tomato, basil & mozarella salad (with balsamic, olive oil, sea salt and cracked black pepper = yum) and I saw this guy hanging out on the wall behind the tomatos. It's been about seven years since I last saw one, and that was in Las Vegas (at red eyed willie's house, no less!). Just thought I'd share a couple pics I took. He was probably about 5 inches long. Pretty good size! Coolest thing I've seen in my backyard since that skunk a couple weeks ago. Haha.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/ledisquaire/100_1237.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/ledisquaire/100_1236.jpg
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 7:14 pm

good looking tomatoes, too.

i dig the praying mantis. once they get bigger than that they get pretty creepy, though.
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 7:45 pm

notorious mating behavior of the adult female, who sometimes eats her mate just afterâ€"or even duringâ€"mating. Yet this behavior seems not to deter males from reproduction.

I saw this guy hanging out on the wall

Ruh-roh! Do he be lookin' for love?
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 12:23 am | Edited by: jerry

Here's a shot of one in my yard from a few years back. Elusive little things, I know they're out there but only see one maybe every other year.

I'm jealous of the continued tomatoage. I had to yank up my long-suffering plants last weekend...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11718827@N08/2338830107/
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 3:10 am

I 've seen a ton of them this year. A huge one got in my girlfriend's shop, and when I tried to put it outside, it bit me.
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 9:00 am

I love those things.
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 9:29 am

deep fried!
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 10:58 am

Don't even try your drunken monkey style, his kung fu is too good for you.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:18 pm

i saw one a few years ago on hot humid night it was a green one, it must have been a good 6 inches long...and weighd at least 8lbs!! Prayin Mantises'sss are good people tho, they eat lots of shitty bugs.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:40 pm

A coworker of mine was crossing lower Broadway one day en route to Chinatown and saw a praying mantis just sitting on a manhole cover in the middle of traffic.

He picked it up and it was our office pet for awhile. We trapped a giant roach in the office that same day under a glass bowl. We had our own little version of the Discovery channel for awhile as we let the two fight it out.

(Don't fool yourself: the mantis won. And he had himself a feast!)
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 4:35 pm

We had a couple Mantises (Manti?) come in through the window this summer. Big guys but brown not green. Haven't seen them around here since I was a kid in the 70's. I think the pesticides killed them all off. Return of the Praying Mantises?
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 5:29 pm

We had a couple Mantises (Manti?) come in through the window this summer.

you don't have screens? i wouldn't ever open a window if i didn't have screens. wouldn't mind the Mantises (Manti?) coming in, but screens keep out moths (i hate moths and their tongues) and bats. if there's ever a bat in my house i'll drive a wooden steak through my own heart.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 6:25 pm

What if the bat was count chocula?
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 10:18 pm

What was that one awesome movie where the people were really just mutant prey mantises? At first their plan is to blow up the nuclear power plant, but they fall in love with the human way of living and abandon their plans for mutant prey mantis domination.
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 10:14 am

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 10:32 am

Here is another gigantic one!
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 10:34 am

bug out bith!

you're dead, donkey rhea!
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 12:40 pm

i saw half of one the other day walking down the street. looked like a bunch of other bugs ganged up and took the top half and ants were finishing off the bottom
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 1:09 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®