Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Hey Chicago? Any of you heard of this band?
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 5:41 pm

http://www.myspace.com/theflips

Check out the message they sent me today

Hey guys,

I just thought I should let you know.
In the coming months, we will have legal ownership of the name "The Flips".
We started back in 2005 and have recently noticed The Flips from milwaukee.
I just thought I should let you know since they are on your roster that they would not be able to legally perform under the name The Flips.
Please, we're not trying to be assholes. We had the name first and it is like our child and means alot to us, obviously, since we would be prepared to take legal action for it.
If you could talk to your band and even forward this to them, it would be very much appreciated.
We want what most other bands want, and that is to be able to play to as many people as we can, and if we had to change our name, it would erase three years of progress for us.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Nick, Mike, and Drew

Ohhh. Should I be scared? They've been together 4 years and are just getting around to recording their first demo I guess. I wonder how many bands have used the name before (and I imagine there has to be at least one if not from the 60's garage era at least the 70's power pop or 80's New Wave era that released an obscure 45). I hope one of them comes out of the woodwork.
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 5:52 pm

The Wi. Flips are awesome. Well, the one song they have up is at least.
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 5:54 pm

Pastlame lives in Brooklyn now. Sell out.
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 5:56 pm

Yep, the Milwaukee Flips are awesome and I'm putting a record out sometime before Christmas (hopefully sooner).

I guess these Chicago Rock Stars think they can stop it by sending me a pissy little myspace message. I like how they're gonna have the legal ownership of the name "in the next couple of months". I never even heard of 'em til the sent me their little note.
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 5:58 pm

I thought you were only listening to French rock these days. Sell out.
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:00 pm

Maybe I should get in cahoots with Caroline Records next, huh?
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:01 pm

Maybe I should get in cahoots with Caroline Records next, huh?
EmPty
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:03 pm

In jokes sometimes just don't work, I guess.
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:04 pm

Sue them.

they have devalued your franchise.
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:04 pm

Don't quit you're day job.
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:07 pm

I've never heard of 'em. Listened to maybe :30 of one of their songs on myspace, and that was plenty.

I'm stoked about a 7" from the WI Flips, though.
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:14 pm | Edited by: dale

Don't quit you're day job.

Don't quit my "you are" day job? Not all of us can or want live off our wives forever (whatever the excuse may be) but thanks for the advice anyway Ned.

I should probably send them my lawyers address and have them serve me with the legal papers I guess. Shakin' in my boots.

http://www.myspace.com/theflipsmilwaukee

I hope the band that did "Bongo Stomp" doesn't come after anyone next.
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:17 pm | Edited by: frankenspline

fucking hilarious.

all music has a '50s Flips, and another who put out a record as recently as '92... http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:w9frxqq5ldte
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:20 pm

yes, i have heard of chicago. 25 to 6 or 4, right?
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:22 pm

come to think of it, there's nothing stopping you from making a new myspace profile for a fake Flips band and counterthreatening 'em.

they've been around for four? well your fake flips have been around for four and a half.

anything to make these fools type more ridiculous shit at you!
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:27 pm

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:29 pm

anything to make these fools type more ridiculous shit at you!

I'll keep everyone posted.
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:44 pm

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:59 pm

Hey guys,
I just thought I should let you know.
In the coming months, we will have legal ownership of the name "The Flips".

sounds like someone is taking music publishing/entertainment law at columbia college...anyway, dale does your flips have anything released already? i would presume that would make them the "owners" of the name then the southside douche bags could/would have to BUY the name from them. serious.
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 7:29 pm

...like our child and means alot to us

wow. Imagine if they had a good band name that they thought about for more than 4 minutes. Fuck these nerds.

And fuck every band whose myspace display name is "Band name (are doing something soon)" Totally amatuer hour and not in a good way.
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 8:29 pm

The Milwaukee Flips will have a record out before December (at the latest). The Chicago dickwad Flips will apparently be registering the name in the next few months. Next few months? Isn't that next year.
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 9:57 pm

The Milwaukee Flips will have a record out before December (at the latest). The Chicago dickwad Flips will apparently be registering the name in the next few months. Next few months? Isn't that next year.

well as far as i know whoever has the first record or copyright owns the name, so....
Posted: Oct 2, 2008 10:07 pm | Edited by: dale

The Chicago band was one some shit alt-rock radio sampler I guess...but if it goes to who had a record out first wouldn't that band who is having their tape auctioned on ebay (so far at least)

I told them to start drafting up the legal papers. Maybe after the record is long out they'll finally have the name registered.
Posted: Oct 3, 2008 12:58 am

tell them that you submitted the paperwork to copyright the name a couple of days ago and that they'll have to change it anyway and that they should give up cuz they suck at life.
Posted: Oct 3, 2008 2:02 am | Edited by: dale

I hope these guys don't come after me for some past naming rights now. Trickknee and Mr Hardy better watch out too?

http://psychodrome.co.uk/The-Mystery-Girls-1983-86
Posted: Oct 3, 2008 11:36 am

Tell 'em to fuck off. I've had some experience with this sort of thing before.

Letter received from band with the same name:

"Sir,

I am Johnny "Mashed Potato" Kline, bassist for the original "Cool
Jerks", a nine-piece, non-threatening, fun-lovin' group of friends
and party animals that plays oldies and cutting edge original material on
the west coast. We hail from San Fran, and The Cool Jerks is our name
and we had it first. Our friends and fans have all been giving us grief because of this band, obviously not so fun-lovin', has taken this web domain. That is BS. We can do one of two things. We can offer
you money for the name, ($100) or we can talk with our attorneys.
Dan, the percussionist for the original "Cool Jerks" happens to be a
lawyer. So is Thornton "Do You Love Me" Johnson, our 2nd keyboard
player. You weren't brave enough to leave your name, so I assume you
will respond in a timely manner. Your cooperation is expected and
appreciated.

Sincerely,
John "MP" Kline"

our response:

"Hey there, "Mashed Potato"!

We are "The Cool Jerks", and you guys are "Cool Jerks". Actually, it seems that you guys are just plain jerks. Hey while you are at it maybe you should harass the 70's Spanish band, "Cool Jerks" (who were around long before you twits) and the German Band, "Cool Jerks"(who we had a lot of FUN playing with last Spring in Bremen). You fun-lovers oughta come play with us in Memphis sometime, in between your cheezy corporate fun-fests. As for your generous offer; I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire for $100.
I guess maybe you can sue us and we can change our name to "The East Coast Cool Jerks(who got sued by some lame, old, pansy, cat-fuckers in the "West Coast Cool Jerks" who thought they were big, bad rock stars). That's sort of a mouth full, though.

cheers,

Davie "Sweet Potato" Boyer"

Just give them a list of all the Flips that are out there (even before them), and tell 'em to do their worst.
Posted: Oct 3, 2008 11:39 am

ive heard that you can send yourself a record in a tightly sealed envelope and that the postmark dates, etc will hold up as evidence or some shit, is that true?
Posted: Oct 3, 2008 12:11 pm

I think it needs to be mailed from another state. Some sort of interstate commerce dealio.
Posted: Oct 3, 2008 12:18 pm

ive heard that you can send yourself a record in a tightly sealed envelope and that the postmark dates, etc will hold up as evidence or some shit, is that true?

BRAY!
Posted: Oct 3, 2008 12:32 pm

i heard in music things school that you can send a loosely sealed envelope as long as the name isn't trademarked NOT!!!!
Posted: Oct 3, 2008 5:49 pm

unless it's a real letter from a real lawyer with your name on it, tell them to go eat a dick.
Posted: Oct 3, 2008 6:08 pm

I'm gonna leave a comment on their myspace saying "Dude I went to see you guys in Milwaukee last month and it was some other lame band, WTF?!"
Posted: Oct 3, 2008 7:37 pm

This kinda' shit is always hilarious. Like they're really going to take legal action, ha ha. Gimme a fuckin' break.

Just rile these douchebags up as much as possible and post everything else they say.
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 12:51 am

Out soon on Bancroft.

Almost ready!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®